Travis

Re: oooohhh
milos
milos Posted Tue 05 Jan, 2010 2:21 PM Quote
To be completely honest, I would much prefer a new Travis album over a Fran solo album for many different reasons. That's just the way i feel now, but it doesn't really matter. Fran should do whatever he wants to do. I might change my mind once i actually hear it. :)

Fran
Fran Posted Tue 05 Jan, 2010 3:38 PM Quote
because I wanted a break from Travis.
Nell wrote:
Exactly.
But then the question arises; why did you choose not to perform them with Travis? (Do not think I wouldn't approve a solo album of yours, cause I very much do)
Is it the thrill of kinda have control over really everything or is it the joy to work with some new people for a while?...Time management?...?

(Okay, this is really what's just bumping into my mind at 1am; cause I really am forward to listening to your record)

Fran
Fran Posted Tue 05 Jan, 2010 3:46 PM Quote
I was glad Andy "strongarmed" me into the US tour. As I explained, I had run out of energy by the end of 2008 with ilness and missing Clay. If you came to see the US tour then you would have noted that I had recharged my batteries. Lets get this straight. Touring is hard. Has always been hard. Will always be hard.. for every band. The Beatles stopped touring altogether... but it is also fantastic and will always be fantastic.
Amandabug wrote:
I was a little upset reading his entries, esp. the one about Holiday. Mostly I was upset that Fran really didn't want to tour and was strong-armed into it. Ideally I'd like to think that every time Travis tours, it's because all four of them really wanted to do it. I wonder though, if Fran wanted a long break, why did he agree to two tours in one year -- the full band tour in the spring and the acoustic tour in the fall?

Sarah-
Sarah- Posted Tue 05 Jan, 2010 5:15 PM Quote
Fran wrote:
because I wanted a break from Travis.

and when you say "a break" you really mean just a break, right?
it was just a thought that came to my mind - it is also quite common in a long term relationship to take a break from each other when things don't work out so well anymore (don't really think that's the case for travis, tho). but it often happens that these breaks result in the couple breaking up completely, doesn't it?

it's a lame example, i know ;) but honestly this was kinda my first thought when i read the news. my second thought was that i'm probably totally overreacting and a solo album will be great. good luck with everything, fran :)

Amandabug
Amandabug Posted Tue 05 Jan, 2010 5:44 PM Quote
To be fair, I don't think my point came across the way I wanted. I completely think fran's reasons for not touring were valid; I go see a few shows each tour and I'm exhausted by the 3rd show, and I'm not the one putting it all out there. I was upset that he was forced into it. I happen to think that the quality of one's work shows when someone's heart isn't into it (ahem.. Oasis' Be Here Now?). I am glad that he let Andy talk him into it and I didn't notice anything different in the energy of the spring tour that suggested Fran didn't want to be there in the first place. But knowing this in hindsight, I somehow feel guilty that I was among the fans who wanted the spring shows.

Fran, as you said, touring is very hard. Why didn't you just take a break for the rest of 2009 instead of doing the acoustic tour? It was great, but had I known how you were feeling about being in Travis, I would have rather you re-energize than push yourself. Maybe you're a bit tough on yourself?

Amandabug
Amandabug Posted Tue 05 Jan, 2010 5:53 PM Quote
At the end of the day, I love travis and I love when travis tours. But if the tours aren't what the band or any member of the band wants to do, then I'm perfectly happy that they pursue whatever they want to do instead of forcing themselves to tour just to please some fans. The happiness of the band means more to me than adding another notch to my show attendance.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Tue 05 Jan, 2010 6:01 PM Quote
More repeats than ITV

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 05 Jan, 2010 6:06 PM Quote
Calm down. :) Getting a bit angry.

Darran
Darran Posted Tue 05 Jan, 2010 6:31 PM Quote
My tuppence worth is that I think it's wonderful and amazin that Fran is doing this.

After six albums of hard painstaking work and writing I think it's time he had his own little piece of the music world with Fran being Fran doing what he has always wanted to do, his way.

I expect some of the most amazing stripped down pieces of beautiful work will appear on this and I am sure a fair few songs we can all relate too.

Everyone needs their space to escape to now and again and this is Fran's way of doing things.

I for one am excited and glad to hear probably something Fran has always wanted to do but in a band situation would never work.

Monica
Monica Posted Tue 05 Jan, 2010 6:47 PM Quote
Travis are very important to all of us here, but if Fran has decided to take a break from the band, we have to respect it. Am I the only one who wasn't worried about this fact? Besides, as Fran previously said:

Fran wrote:
Just a thought but all my songs are my songs. Travis perform them. That's the way it has always been. The only difference with this album is that Travis is not performing them.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Tue 05 Jan, 2010 8:50 PM Quote
Monica wrote:
Travis are very important to all of us here, but if Fran has decided to take a break from the band, we have to respect it. Am I the only one who wasn't worried about this fact?

I wasn't worried and I'm still not. I think we've been taken aback by finding out that life as a Travis member isn't actually like living in a fairytale like we all thought but once the news sinks in it will be completely normal. After all, there are many frontmen releasing solo albums without feeling the need to start some terrible schism in their band.

Amandabug
Amandabug Posted Tue 05 Jan, 2010 9:52 PM Quote
@somewhere else

wow, i dont know why you got so angry. that was the way i felt, and it's personal. i'm not speaking for everyone, just me. and you know what -- i feel guilty after every tour when i see how tired the boys are.

all i was saying in my earlier post was that if fran wants to do a solo record and doing so makes him happier than doing something with the band at the moment, then he should go for it. his happiness matters more to me than my momentary happiness from seeing travis tour.

leticia
leticia Posted Tue 05 Jan, 2010 11:50 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Monica wrote:
Travis are very important to all of us here, but if Fran has decided to take a break from the band, we have to respect it. Am I the only one who wasn't worried about this fact?

I wasn't worried and I'm still not. I think we've been taken aback by finding out that life as a Travis member isn't actually like living in a fairytale like we all thought but once the news sinks in it will be completely normal. After all, there are many frontmen releasing solo albums without feeling the need to start some terrible schism in their band.

I'm with you guys! Can't wait to listen to what Fran is cooking... violins, piano, neko, new melodies, new lyrics. Wow... I haven't heard it and I'm already thrilled!

@ Fran: thanks for your answers! You rock.

tracymac1969
tracymac1969 Posted Wed 06 Jan, 2010 12:05 AM Quote
I'm sorry, i just don't understand what all the fuss is about!
From what i understand, Fran is simply fulfilling a dream of his own. One, it seems, that has been around for a very long time. I think that everyone's dreams deserve to become a reality.
I beleive that Travis will indeed continue to perform as an entire band with Fran, when they are all good and ready and when they are, we're all going to be here waiting!
Not having heard any feedback from Dougie, Andy or Neil, one can only assume that they have given Fran their full support and most likely wish him nothing but great success with Wreckorder.
How bout we all relax, wait for the release and put this baby to bed now?
great job Fran, I wish you nothing bit the best and eagerly wait for the official release....
Peace out ;)

melissam3173
melissam3173 Posted Wed 06 Jan, 2010 5:47 AM Quote
Wow its gotten deeper since I was last on here. For the record I think all of the music FRAN has written is completely amazing and am excited to see what the solo project brings. I am scared to say too much cos I feel like some things said on here are taken the wrong way... :0/

Pages Previous 1...7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:07 PM