Travis

Re: What would you miss from home?
lilly
lilly Posted Wed 11 Nov, 2009 9:27 AM Quote
deebee wrote:
I miss a proper English breakfast with baked beans, yummy crispy bacon, English sausages and lashings of HP/Brown/steak sauce... or whatever you want to call it... on the side :-)

I think I'll never quite get the "bacon and tea problem" British expats seem to have ;)

An English friend of mine (living in Munich) bought Yorkshire tea online, but now she says the tea tastes differently here - because of the WATER. Oh my... ;D And apparently, you can't get "yummy crispy bacon" anywhere in continental Europe *lol*

mili
mili Posted Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:50 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
deebee wrote:
I miss a proper English breakfast with baked beans, yummy crispy bacon, English sausages and lashings of HP/Brown/steak sauce... or whatever you want to call it... on the side :-)

I think I'll never quite get the "bacon and tea problem" British expats seem to have ;)

An English friend of mine (living in Munich) bought Yorkshire tea online, but now she says the tea tastes differently here - because of the WATER. Oh my... ;D And apparently, you can't get "yummy crispy bacon" anywhere in continental Europe *lol*

Water is very important when making tea, and yes, Yorkshire tea tastes different (but good) in the UK and in Finland, but I can imagine that the chalky water could cause trouble. You can't buy the kind of bacon here that's used in England, but we don't import it. Instead, our suitcases are full of Marmite, tea bags, malt vinegar and mints. The tea bags that are sold in the UK are bigger (and without strings) than the ones available in Finland, so they're more suitable for tea pot purposes.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 11 Nov, 2009 1:24 PM Quote
If I moved from Dublin I'd miss being verbally abused down the local, They are perfectly nice and friendly most of the time but you only know you have been truely accepted when you walk in the door and they say things like "Oh it's only you, I suppose you want a pint then you bollix". I'd actually miss a load of things you hear in Dublin

from the book Overheard in Dublin- Two American tourists are a bit lost outside the big Bank of Ireland on College Green, they look over to a bunch of Skangers (neds, wide-O's, chavs or whatever they are called in your area) dressed in their uniform of White Tracksuits, Trainers and Burberry Baseball Caps, etc. One of the tourist remarks to the other "Hey, lets ask those young athletes over there"

A tourist on the open top bus tour asks a local why the traffic lights are making those funny noises, he explains "Oh that's for the blind people", The reply was..."My God! In my country we don't let the blind drive"

Of course I'd also miss Guinness, the Phoenix Park, The City Centre, Tower Records... oh and Dee ;-P

Dubz

lilly
lilly Posted Wed 11 Nov, 2009 1:33 PM Quote
mili wrote:

Water is very important when making tea, and yes, Yorkshire tea tastes different (but good) in the UK and in Finland, but I can imagine that the chalky water could cause trouble. You can't buy the kind of bacon here that's used in England, but we don't import it. Instead, our suitcases are full of Marmite, tea bags, malt vinegar and mints. The tea bags that are sold in the UK are bigger (and without strings) than the ones available in Finland, so they're more suitable for tea pot purposes.

true, the chalk is a problem here. So your hubby likes Marmite? I hope your kids don't!... (I thiiink we've talked about Marmite before, haven't we?)
I'll never forget the taste of it *eew* ;) Unbelievably, you CAN BUY MARMITE in most supermarkets in inner-city Munich now. A few years back, you could only but it at "Pomeroy & Winterbottom"'s, but now... - when I first saw it in Kaufhof, I wanted to take a picture to remember "the day that breakfast died" ;D

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 11 Nov, 2009 1:37 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
mili wrote:

true, the chalk is a problem here. So your hubby likes Marmite? I hope your kids don't!... (I thiiink we've talked about Marmite before, haven't we?)
I'll never forget the taste of it *eew* ;) Unbelievably, you CAN BUY MARMITE in most supermarkets in inner-city Munich now. A few years back, you could only but it at [urlhttp://www.pomeroy-winterbottom.de/13.html]"Pomeroy & Winterbottom"'s[/url], but now... - when I first saw it in Kaufhof, I wanted to take a picture to remember "the day that breakfast died" ;D

Water as a rule in Ireland is minging, it has a chalky, limey taste. I spend a fortune on Brita water filters and even then the kettle still looks disgusting on the inside.

Dubz

lilly
lilly Posted Wed 11 Nov, 2009 2:04 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Water as a rule in Ireland is minging, it has a chalky, limey taste. I spend a fortune on Brita water filters and even then the kettle still looks disgusting on the inside.

Dubz

Brita waterfilters are kinda crap. After a while, I thought the water was getting chalkier because of the filter.

I think (sorry, Mónica!) Madrid's water is the worst one I've ever tasted. I couldn't even brush my teeth without getting the impression of being at a public swimming pool (chlorine, uuurgh).

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 11 Nov, 2009 3:31 PM Quote
I didn't think about it before, but definitely water. The water where my mom was in Germany was pretty good, but as we traveled around, we came across some questionable tap water. Austria's seemed the cleanest and best tasting. The worst was Paris. It was like soup. It was slightly yellow and had "things" in it. I started to wonder if the toilet was connected to the tap. Surely people can't drink that? That was nearly 20 years ago, maybe things have gotten better, but...ew.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Wed 11 Nov, 2009 6:21 PM Quote
Oh I would miss the water here too. We have awesome water. Seriously. Mountain water rocks!

deebee
deebee Posted Wed 11 Nov, 2009 6:51 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

The worst was Paris. It was like soup. It was slightly yellow and had "things" in it. I started to wonder if the toilet was connected to the tap. Surely people can't drink that? That was nearly 20 years ago, maybe things have gotten better, but...ew.

Ewwww Kayte that's gross! I think things may have changed since then but Fréd will need to confirm that. We may want to be on our guard though if she ever invites us to Paris, lol. We're further south and have lovely clear and limescale free water.

deebee
deebee Posted Wed 11 Nov, 2009 7:44 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
deebee wrote:

Haha oh Lilly. What I wouldn't give to be able to get a nice cup of tea here *sighs* I still import my boxes of PG tips teabags even though I've been here for 6 years now - I just can't seem to find one that's quite the same. Weirdly though, I can't stand Yorkshire tea and I'm originally a Yorkshire lass!

mili
mili Posted Wed 11 Nov, 2009 9:07 PM Quote
lilly wrote:

I'll never forget the taste of it *eew* ;) Unbelievably, you CAN BUY MARMITE in most supermarkets in inner-city Munich now. A few years back, you could only but it at "Pomeroy & Winterbottom"'s, but now... - when I first saw it in Kaufhof, I wanted to take a picture to remember "the day that breakfast died" ;D

The main addict is my son. His English Granny just sent him a jar by post so he can survive till Christmas. He loves peanut butter, too, but only for a snack. Marmite is for everything…

lilly
lilly Posted Wed 11 Nov, 2009 9:26 PM Quote
deebee wrote:

Haha oh Lilly. What I wouldn't give to be able to get a nice cup of tea here *sighs* I still import my boxes of PG tips teabags even though I've been here for 6 years now - I just can't seem to find one that's quite the same. Weirdly though, I can't stand Yorkshire tea and I'm originally a Yorkshire lass!

Amazingly, I have found four shops in Munich so far where you can buy PG Tips. Tetley, too. I think British tea is now considered a "cool" thing here - with the exception of Yorkshire tea, apparently, LOL. ;D

mili wrote:

The main addict is my son. His English Granny just sent him a jar by post so he can survive till Christmas. He loves peanut butter, too, but only for a snack. Marmite is for everything…

aaahhh yes, your son! (We DID have that conversation before, right? I'm just forgetting everything, sorry *sigh*)

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Fri 13 Nov, 2009 5:52 PM Quote
food wise...

in n out
http://marinifamily.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/in-n-out_burger.jpg

sprinkles cupcakes...seriously the best!
http://infinitygoods.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/sprinkles-strawberry-cupcakes.jpg

Meridith
Meridith Posted Fri 13 Nov, 2009 6:14 PM Quote
goosey_84 wrote:
food wise...

in n out
http://marinifamily.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/in-n-out_burger.jpg

Ohhh, good call Goosey! I LOVE In-N-Out! We are finally getting them here in Utah...and one 5 min. away from my house. Woot!!!

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Fri 13 Nov, 2009 7:32 PM Quote
*high five* :)

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:52 AM