Travis

Re: My first trip to IKEA
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 5:51 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Well, it's not quite Wal-Mart.

never been to wal-mart either

I'm shocked! It's like shopping in hell, but you endure it because it's so cheap.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 5:52 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
AbsGinger wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
lilly wrote:

But, Kayte, "rectangular European glasses"?? ;D

Yes!

Gucci like ?

Kinda like Hanne's.

Right. I know what you mean.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 6:01 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Well, it's not quite Wal-Mart.

never been to wal-mart either

I'm shocked! It's like shopping in hell, but you endure it because it's so cheap.

been to cost-co and target . that count ?

Moray
Moray Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 6:01 PM Quote
i went shopping in ikea with my little sister last year. I was looking for a new chair (I got one, its upholstered in red courderoy. Very cool). Anyway, I got bored and distracted while she was looking at toilet brushes and I wandered off. Correen (my little sister) eventually caught up with me about 15 minutes later. She grabbed me by the arms, shook me and shouted "YOU WALKED AWAY IN IKEA! You NEVER walk away in Ikea".

I think this is a valuable lesson that should be heeded by all Mums, kids and slightly dozy brothers.

Also, isn't there something a little bit brilliantly naughty when you're walking round the showroom and you're going in the wrong direction from the arrows? Its a little bit of a thrill for me. In an otherwise mundane world.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 6:01 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

While I agree with the hell description I do not agree with enduring it. I never willingly go into Walmart.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

I like a lot of IKEA's stuff but have a hard time with the store. I hate that it's a maze and if I go one way I commit to the entire store. It's also so crowded and I hate people so that's hard too.

Eating there though is super fun.

mili
mili Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 6:03 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
lilly wrote:

But, Kayte, "rectangular European glasses"?? ;D

Yes!

are they a European thing? really? hmmm... maybe you're right, everyone's wearing rectangular (colourful) glasses here (except me, wrong face-shape or sth, they look stupid on me)...

Mine are oval and metal framed, so last century :^P
I don't wear them outdoors, only when staring at a screen.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 6:08 PM Quote
Ric, Target is a heavenly paradise compared to Wal-Mart.

Moray, I held Violet by the hand most of the time. The rest of the time she was ahead of me yelling, "LOOK! More sweet stuff!"

I wondered what those arrows were for.

This store was not crowded at all. I parked right up front and saw the same 10 people over and over again. The funny thing is, when that store opened, people were so nutsy cuckoo about it, there was a traffic jam around the building for 2 solid days. They had to call the police to direct traffic.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 7:11 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

While I agree with the hell description I do not agree with enduring it. I never willingly go into Walmart.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

I was about to post this link. I kinda love this site as it makes me feel sooooooo much better about myself.

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 7:28 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
i went shopping in ikea with my little sister last year. I was looking for a new chair (I got one, its upholstered in red courderoy. Very cool). Anyway, I got bored and distracted while she was looking at toilet brushes and I wandered off. Correen (my little sister) eventually caught up with me about 15 minutes later. She grabbed me by the arms, shook me and shouted "YOU WALKED AWAY IN IKEA! You NEVER walk away in Ikea".

wise girl, that one! how old is she?
---

when I was about 5, friends of my parents took me to Ikea but left me at the "child friendly waiting area" (hrmph). There was a small movietheatre and this thing where you can watch kids struggling for some air in a sea of colourful balls. Well, I wasn't keen on drowning, so the ball-thing wasn't an option. So I had to watch the movie, which was Pippi Longstocking, which totally freaked me out. I dreamed about pirates for the next six months or so.

I'm surprised I still like Ikea.

(okay, and they definitely never sold chairs upholstered in courderoy at our Ikea. So Ikea isn't the same everywhere!)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 7:42 PM Quote
Moray wrote:

Also, isn't there something a little bit brilliantly naughty when you're walking round the showroom and you're going in the wrong direction from the arrows? Its a little bit of a thrill for me. In an otherwise mundane world.

The first 10 or so times I went to Ikea, I would always end up going accidently against the arrows. I dont know how. I guess Im just a rebel by nature :)

They currently have this ridiculous heart pattern on EVERYTHING at ikea. Christmas wrapping, decorations, rugs, dishes, drapes, bedding, lighting. EVERYTHING.
And gnomes.

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 8:03 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

They currently have this ridiculous heart pattern on EVERYTHING at ikea. Christmas wrapping, decorations, rugs, dishes, drapes, bedding, lighting. EVERYTHING.
And gnomes.

heart pattern? *opens German Ikea website*.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I was planning on going there to get wrapping paper and deco stuff.

And what exactly are THEY???:
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/0099772_PE242061_S4.JPG

mili
mili Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 8:13 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
minnmess wrote:

And gnomes.

heart pattern? *opens German Ikea website*.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I was planning on going there to get wrapping paper and deco stuff.

And what exactly are THEY???:
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/0099772_PE242061_S4.JPG

THEY are Christmas donkeys, as my hubby says, that is, straw goats. They are Scandinavian Christmas decorations, especially popular in Sweden. There's usually a huge one in Gävle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gävle_goat

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 8:23 PM Quote
This. on EVERYTHING

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/0099621_PE241783_S3.JPG

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 8:45 PM Quote
mili wrote:

THEY are Christmas donkeys, as my hubby says, that is, straw goats. They are Scandinavian Christmas decorations, especially popular in Sweden. There's usually a huge one in Gävle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gävle_goat

Christmas donkeys! :D

Hmmm, interesting. They should write that in the product-description, otherwise people will just think they were invented by Ikea designers.

Kristy, YES! I just checked the German website. on almost EVERYBLOODYTHING! Even the wrapping paper *sniff*. What happened to COOL Ikea paper, eh?

hm, I think the tree-ish pattern at the bottom is alright... and the one in the centre... but I guess I won't go to Ikea this winter.
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/0102527_PE247624_S4.JPG

harry potter
harry potter Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 9:27 PM Quote
i hear they give away Swedish meatballs there? did you get any of them?

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:51 PM