Travis

Re: Homecoming mums: a Texas tradition
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 5:53 PM Quote
An example of the various trinkets you can put on your fashion statement. And Kayte's explanation about Texas is totally true. It is quite a unique state.

http://www.themumshop.com/images/Thumbnails/West%20board-tn.jpg

lilly
lilly Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 5:55 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:

Okay, if this didn't surprise you Lilly, then you definitely have a totally misconstrued view of the US. This is not normal. I swear it!

EDIT: That goes for you too Juli!

Maybe I should add that I WAS surprised and impressed (and sometimes a little shocked) when I first heard about:

- Proms (!!)
- Homecoming
- Halloween
- Thanksgiving
- The Super Bowl
- Christmas presents being opened on the "wrong day", brought by a man who doesn't actually have anything to do with "Christmas Day" over here (Santa Claus is "Nikolaus" over here, and he puts apples and sweets and very small presents in childrens' boots on December 6th - while the "Christkind" [basically baby christ lol] brings Christmas presents on the evening of December 24th)

Now. Imagine not being used to any of these. ;)

"Homecoming mums" are really not much more foreign or surprising to me than the concept of a highschool prom. So I guess it's not even reading about cultural history stuff - it's the sheer number of traditions that YOU are used to, but Germans will find amazing/strange/disturbing. I think I'm just used to seeing the US as a country full of strange things ;-) (Going to FLORIDA when I was 15 didn't help much.)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 5:56 PM Quote
Mum shop? Gimme a break! I want mine to be unique.

Anne, I bet whoever gets you for the Christmas exchange is now going to be worried you'll make them a boardie homecoming mum.

lilly
lilly Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 5:59 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

Anne, I bet whoever gets you for the Christmas exchange is now going to be worried you'll make them a boardie homecoming mum.

LOL!!!!

Meridith
Meridith Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 6:08 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
Meridith wrote:

Okay, if this didn't surprise you Lilly, then you definitely have a totally misconstrued view of the US. This is not normal. I swear it!

EDIT: That goes for you too Juli!

Maybe I should add that I WAS surprised and impressed (and sometimes a little shocked) when I first heard about:

- Proms (!!)
- Homecoming
- Halloween
- Thanksgiving
- The Super Bowl
- Christmas presents being opened on the "wrong day", brought by a man who doesn't actually have anything to do with "Christmas Day" over here (Santa Claus is "Nikolaus" over here, and he puts apples and sweets and very small presents in childrens' boots on December 6th - while the "Christkind" [basically baby christ lol] brings Christmas presents on the evening of December 24th)

Now. Imagine not being used to any of these. ;)

"Homecoming mums" are really not much more foreign or surprising to me than the concept of a highschool prom. So I guess it's not even reading about cultural history stuff - it's the sheer number of traditions that YOU are used to, but Germans will find amazing/strange/disturbing. I think I'm just used to seeing the US as a country full of strange things ;-) (Going to FLORIDA when I was 15 didn't help much.)

Ahhh yes, I see your point!

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 6:09 PM Quote
Anne...I did NOT know this was only a Texas thing. Sadly...I never got a Homecoming Mum! I guess nobody loved me in High School! I always got annoyed by them though--they were so loud, with all the stuff clanging around...girls toppling over because their mum was too heavy. Or, maybe I was annoyed because I was jealous. No, that can't be it!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 6:12 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
Anne...I did NOT know this was only a Texas thing. Sadly...I never got a Homecoming Mum! I guess nobody loved me in High School! I always got annoyed by them though--they were so loud, with all the stuff clanging around...girls toppling over because their mum was too heavy. Or, maybe I was annoyed because I was jealous. No, that can't be it!

Do you want us to make you one for your wedding? There's still time if we overnight it. I know you're petite, so I don't think we'll use more than 3 cowbells.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 6:12 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:

it is hilarious to me that these are signs of love and not hatred. And things to be jealous of. Not that you were jealous or anything Sandy.
I bet Tyler is going to get you the biggest fanciest mum on Saturday! bahahaha. Can someone please email him and suggest that?

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 6:15 PM Quote
I will respectfully decline, but thank you, Kayte!

Wow...I sooo thought Homecoming mums were done all over! The crafts stores all have the ribbons and bells and stuff on display everywhere!
Texas really is it's own country sometimes!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 6:26 PM Quote
Yeah I was just telling Meridith I'll have to snap a picture inside a Michael's so they can see how there is an entire section devoted to mum making supplies.

I'm sad because I was having fun picturing Sandy trying to stand under the weight of one of those suckers. I am glad you can confirm how loud it was on those days.

I wouldn't say I was jealous because I wanted one but I would say those days were hard because the girls that wore them really tried to make you feel bad that you didn't have one.

By the way this all started because I was telling Meridith how one of my friend's husbands got her mom to make her a homecoming mum and he is taking her to the game. And she didn't get why this was funny.

I don't know if this will show up but here is her mum. Her hubby's name Dayne can be seen on the left. And Clements is our high school.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs003.snc3/11041_1267299407834_1390262758_30762846_5848593_n.jpg

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 6:28 PM Quote
This girl made her own. Is that cheating?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuUTCnsTAtM

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 6:30 PM Quote
OOoh, this one explains it better, circa 1989!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ktmnpuoSE

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 6:34 PM Quote
Those things just get bigger & bigger every year! They were half that size when I was in high school.

Okay, I wasn't really jealous of girls who had them...but it's true about the girls making you feel bad about not having one. I didn't care too much, 'cause none of my friends were into it much, but you can definitely see the disappointment in some girls faces when they didn't get one.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 6:39 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
OOoh, this one explains it better, circa 1989!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ktmnpuoSE

That is fantastic. The only thing bigger than the girl's judgy preachy attitude is her bangs.

And then the end when she shows she's a big ol' hypocrite.....love it!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 26 Oct, 2009 6:42 PM Quote
My school sold roses twice a year for $2 each; red, pink, or white. Some girls were walking around with a bouquet, while some had nothing. Same kinda deal. It just emphasized how unpopular you are if you got nothing.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:44 AM