Travis

Re: As It Comes
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 18 Nov, 2009 9:36 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
Really strange, interesting lyrics. Can't wait to hear a studio version. I'm not so keen on the Frandy version but with an interesting 12 Memories sound and production, it could be great! :) It certainly has the vibes of a 12 Memories song. As far as my ears can tell anyway. lol

"A 12 Memories vibe" is exactly how I described "As It Comes" when I gave my mini review of the Ferndale show in October in T-chat. I'm excited for this song! But the whole "Holiday is better than most of Ode" comment...emmm. It's an OK song, but no way! You're nuts, man!

You're nuts for loving As It Comes so much. ;) It's OK, though quite dull and monotonous. And i don't like Fran's voice so incredibly deep like that. I like 10 out of the 11 songs on Ode more than As It Comes... at the moment. Depends what the production is like on the studio version, for me personally. :) Though Holiday is still brilliant! Just listen to Andy's guitar, i love it! :)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 18 Nov, 2009 1:40 PM Quote
Holiday is great single material! I hope Fran and the boys don't throw it away.. I get a vibe that Fran likes As It Comes more...

I also like Holiday better than most stuff on Ode(and I haven't even heard a studio-version yet), but I haven't listened to Ode in whole in a while so maybe I've forgotten how great it is.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 18 Nov, 2009 3:58 PM Quote
For me, As It Comes has better lyrics, they're beautiful, but the melody in Holiday is far better. The guitar is lovely. I think the bridge is not so great, but still, I prefer Holiday.

BenFilbert wrote:

As It Comes [..] It's OK, though quite dull and monotonous.

Yeap, I agree.
And I think I like 9 songs on Ode more than As It Comes, but I wouldn't say Holiday is better than most songs on that album.

Moray
Moray Posted Fri 20 Nov, 2009 12:25 AM Quote
ANyone who's not heard "As it comes" yet fancy doing our own versions a la 'Friends'

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 20 Nov, 2009 3:17 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
ANyone who's not heard "As it comes" yet fancy doing our own versions a la 'Friends'

Aww, I would love to do something like that again. But I think so many of us have already heard it. Why don't we wait for the next one? There's a whole album to write, so I'm sure we'll be getting another one relatively soon.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sun 22 Nov, 2009 1:51 PM Quote
Just listened to both songs. I like 'em both, not sure if I want to or could put one above the other at this stage. But I agree that it all comes down to the production. I like the deeper vocals in As It Comes, it's kinda refreshing. And the guitar and melody in Holiday is catchy. I don't always like it when Travis just settle for choruses that involve singing the same melody four times though - I know that's essentially what most pop songs do, but their best songs for me (WTRY, Sing, Side, AIWTDIR etc) have that little bit more. But still, sounds good.

I like the darkness in both the songs, I hope that shows through in the album. I'd like to hear a darker, in places more melancholy album... predictably I guess I'm wanting "The Man Who 2". ha. I think both songs have that very Travisy quality of sounding somewhat dark but always looking forward towards the light - that essence of hope. I don't think, as it happens, there's been as much of that in the last few albums. I'd like to hear it back. It's that kind of feeing that gives TMW and TIB their atmospheric and emotive kick. :)

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Fri 27 Nov, 2009 1:00 AM Quote
Predictably I like both very much but Holiday is the hit without a doubt. Agree with Ben, Studio version of As it Comes will sound great .

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 27 Nov, 2009 1:44 AM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:
Predictably I like both very much but Holiday is the hit without a doubt. Agree with Ben, Studio version of As it Comes will sound great.

Depending on whether the studio recorded version has good production or not will probably decide whether i like the song or not. I'm not a huge fan of As It Comes so it depends how it's recorded in the studio. Holiday on the other hand, i'm sure will be super!

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Fri 27 Nov, 2009 6:40 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Somewhere Else wrote:
Predictably I like both very much but Holiday is the hit without a doubt. Agree with Ben, Studio version of As it Comes will sound great.

Depending on whether the studio recorded version has good production or not will probably decide whether i like the song or not. I'm not a huge fan of As It Comes so it depends how it's recorded in the studio. Holiday on the other hand, i'm sure will be super!

Completely agree. Whe i heard first Holiday, that without any doubt i like it, when it finished, i got the melody kept in my mind for a while singing it. In other hand, As it comes, i heard it like 3 times, and nothing, wasn't sure really. Then with lyrics that helps a little, 'cause they're great. So i'm on the same way. If the album studio offers anything that feels different, or how will be recorded, so let's see what happens. Still doesn't like it live at all.

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Fri 27 Nov, 2009 1:10 PM Quote
Wow,

I should get rid of the depression and visit this place more often. Love the song especially since I have been feeling that way for quite some time.

Feeling that you are falling apart from someone dear to you/your partner is very similar to the experience of a death of someone you love...

"I kiss you so softly
But you're no longer there
Now I'm taking every day
As it comes"

Fran, you are my hero.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Wed 02 Dec, 2009 8:33 PM Quote
sorry, but I'd only class both as 'alright'. Holiday has a good melody but never really develops into anything more than a nice sounding, fairly throwaway b-side. As It Comes has more, I dunno, substance, but is a million miles away from being a classic musically. Neither are anything like Travis at their best and I don't think they're intended to be, people are just getting a tad overexcited.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 02 Dec, 2009 10:09 PM Quote
I'm not getting over excited. Holiday is brilliant and I still love it.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 02 Dec, 2009 10:33 PM Quote
Watch your blood pressure Ben, you could get a heart attack if you're this excited!

melissam3173
melissam3173 Posted Thu 03 Dec, 2009 6:06 AM Quote
Everytime I listen to Holiday I can't get it out of my head! I love both songs and I am pretty sure anything they decide will be wonderful.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Fri 04 Dec, 2009 6:41 AM Quote
Holiday sort of 'gets it' soundwise - its not too fast not too slow , sits in the head well if you know what I mean! and has a 'repeat' button /wanna hear it again quality . As well as touching chords that bring in an emotional appeal.

Its just under the wrong thread here! haha

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] All Times BST Current Time 2:52 AM