Travis

FAO Spanish & Latin-American boardies!
lilly
lilly Posted Wed 07 Oct, 2009 12:02 PM Quote
hey!

I have a veeery important question, which should be easy to answer for you ;)

Which current event(s) and topics are important in your country at the moment?

(For example, is the death of Mercedes Sosa still discussed in Argentina, and why? What's the latest news in Spain? etc.)

I'm reading Spanish newspapers online, but the thing is, a newspaper gives you ALL the news ;) and it doesn't tell you which topics are really important for the people themselves.
(e.g. here in Munich, people are discussing the death of a man who was murdered because he tried to help two kids; and while national newspapers still discuss this topic, it can be easily overlooked because of all the other stuff)

So, it would be GREAT if you could come up with something. Culture, Social Life, Politics, Economics, any current event or topic that's discussed by the people themselves. And it would be even better if you had an opinion on that topic or event, too :)

Thank you and Gracias in advance :)

(oh, and I'm asking this because I have a Spanish oral exam on current events next week!)

Re: FAO Spanish & Latin-American boardies!
Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Wed 07 Oct, 2009 2:33 PM Quote
Hi! Well, I should let the Argentinian boardies answer your question about Mercedes Sosa. All I can say, since I live in Uruguay, is that she was the voice of our neighbouring country. She had to live in exile during the dictatorship as many other socially and politically committed artists of the time. We are still talking about it because this year we have lost many important personalities of our culture. For example, Uruguayan poet Idea Vilariño - who vindicated women's voice and writer Mario Benedetti - who succeeded in portraying Montevideans as we are, have recently passed away. Both part of what was called "the 45 generation". They began writing for the same journal and changed the way literature was conceived in Latin America. No other writer has been able to make such an impact ever since, so we are left with this void, the popular feeling is that they are truly irreplaceable. Culture is in mourning since April, 2009.

Also, this is an election year in Uruguay, so one of the most talked about topics has to do with politics. In 2004 a left wing party took office for the first time in history. The quality of the campaign is really low and there is an unprecedented percentage of undecided less than a month away from election day. The candidates resort to disqualifying each other and there is no serious discussion on important matters. There have been interesting changes during the last administration. If they remain in power for another five years, I believe many other things can be achieved, socially and economically. My only concern is the candidate elected for the party, I don't know for sure if he is up for the job... I'd have trusted the vice-presidential candidate with the task. In addition, I'm sick and tired of the same old people fighting for power. The traditional parties are too conservative and don't give young people real chances to turn things around, that's their disadvantage. Furthermore, we'll be not only electing our next president but also plebisciting the consular vote and the anullment of an impunity law (created after the dictatorship). The left wing party supports both reforms, it's time we take a stand for human rights, at least.

In my opinion, this is the best achievement, OLPC makes me proud. It's the right and only path to follow. If the government doesn't invest in education, then there's no future to look forward.

Another topic being discussed has to do with football :) Our National Team is playing the U-20 World Cup in Egypt and as we don't have much hope in the 2010 South Africa World Cup qualifications, we are cheering for this team, haha. In an hour there's a match between Uruguay and Brazil, let's wait and see how it goes. On Saturday, the "elders" are playing against Ecuador in Quito and next Wednesday against Argentina in Montevideo, the odds are against us...

I think that for the rest of the month people won't be talking about anything else here, unless something extraordinary happens... I hope this is helpful, though I know Uruguay is far from being the focus of the world's attention :D

lilly
lilly Posted Wed 07 Oct, 2009 8:35 PM Quote
ahh, thank you Ana!!! that's exactly what I meant :)

I forgot to say that you can also write something in SPANISH, of course!!!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 09 Oct, 2009 4:35 PM Quote
Well, since you insist, I'll write in Spanish :oP.

Lo que significó la muerte de Mercedes Sosa en Argentina fue muy bien expresado por Ana. Ella es como un ícono del país. Incluso para la gente a la que no le gusta el folklore, su voz y su música son como una marca registrada de Argentina, y específicamente de Tucumán, de donde ella era. Y además no era una cantante cualquiera, sino que su arte siempre estuvo asociado a luchas sociales y políticas importantes del país, siempre apoyando a los más desfavorecidos (que son la mayor parte de la población), como comentó Ana. Tan grande era, y tanto significaba para la gente que durante la última dictadura militar su música estaba prohibida y era considerada subversiva.
Es realmente triste que haya fallecido, pero la verdad es que su música y su voz siguen tan vivas como siempre.

Otro tema muy importante en Argentina es la Ley de Servicios de Comunicación Audiovisual. Hoy el Senado va a tratar esta ley, que ya cuenta con media sanción de la Cámara de Diputados. Se trata de una ley que regula los medios de comunicación (televisión, espectro radieléctrico) para impedir los monopolios y garantizar el derecho a expresión de distintos sectores. Lo que intenta lograr es un acceso más plural y más democrático a los medios de comunicación.
Es un proyecto interesante, que viene siendo debatido a nivel de la sociedad civil desde el 2008, con la participación de distintas agrupaciones sociales y políticas, e incluso de individuos sin filiación política de ningún tipo. Es realmente una ley que incorpora los puntos de vista de muchísima gente (hasta de los pueblos originarios, que en general son completamente marginados).
Es una ley democrática, importantísima, porque la ley vigente en la actualidad fue creada en la dictadura (por lo tanto es una ley anti-democrática y represiva), y porque en la actualidad son un puñado de corporaciones multimillonarias las que concentran todos los medios, lo que coarta la libertad de expresión.
Obviamente los sectores reaccionarios (los multimedios monopólicos, la derecha y la Iglesia) se oponen furiosamente a la ley, y han estado haciendo campaña en contra desde hace meses.
Pero hay muchas posibilidades de que sea aprobada esta noche!
Así que muchas organizaciones sociales y políticas convocaron a la gente hoy a la tarde a la plaza que está frente al Congreso Nacional, para demostrar nuestro apoyo a la ley. Va a ser una especie de festival. Obviamente voy a estar allí, defendiendo el derecho a la libertad de expresión y esperando que finalmente podamos tener una ley más democrática que defienda los derechos de todos los sectores sociales, y no de unos pocos. :oD

If you don't understand something, or anything, please ask me and I can translate :oP.

lilly
lilly Posted Fri 09 Oct, 2009 9:42 PM Quote
weeee, thank you, Juli!!! That was, like, text-book perfect for my exam! :) It's always so hard to find articles in newspapers that actually come up with the core of a problem or a topic, so thank you!!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
Obviamente voy a estar allí, defendiendo el derecho a la libertad de expresión y esperando que finalmente podamos tener una ley más democrática que defienda los derechos de todos los sectores sociales, y no de unos pocos. :oD

So how did the demonstration go??

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 09 Oct, 2009 10:27 PM Quote
I'm glad I could help. Let me know if you need anything else :o).

I still haven't gone to the demonstration yet. I'll go there around 7.30 pm... It will probably finish very late at night.
I can do a review in Spanish for you afterwards, if it helps...

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 10 Oct, 2009 7:57 PM Quote
I don't know if you really care, but last night was AMAZING!
There was so many people. Bands were playing... And when the debate was ending, they set a giant screen and we all watched the speeches of the two leaders of the first two minorities of the Senate. And then it was around 2.15 am and it was time to vote the law in general: we won!!!! 44 over 24 votes I believe.
The joy exploded right there. It was lovely. We all hugged eachother, and then we all sung our National Anthem... even pogoed to our National Anthem, lol. It was epic!!! :oD

My sister, my friend, my mom and I went home then. But the thing wasn't over because they had to discuss each article in particular, but around 6/6.30 am every article was aproved!!! :oD

This was such a great night for democracy and freedom of speech in Argentina! For once, the giant economic corporations didn't win. I'm sooo happy!!!

And of course, the giant mass media monopolies are furious, which makes everything even better :oP.

Here's something some guys gave me (they were making these right there), I'm going to hang it on my bedroom wall:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/203/leydeserviciosdecomunic.jpg

If you want to, I can write this in Spanish too :oP.

lilly
lilly Posted Sat 10 Oct, 2009 8:13 PM Quote
wow, Juli, that sounds wonderful! You have witnessed a real moment of change in your country, I think that must be very very uplifting :)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

If you want to, I can write this in Spanish too :oP.

you don't have to do that, thanks ;)
I'm sorry I can't comment more right now, I have to study vocab and grammar stuff and *aaaargh* read more articles. I totally forgot to read about Honduras. I only know the expression golpe de estado. That has to be enough. Sigh.

Hope you're having a day that's just as great as last night seems to have been! :)

Monica
Monica Posted Mon 12 Oct, 2009 7:40 PM Quote
Hmmmmm. In Madrid, Cristiano Ronaldo :p
Politics: all related to the Gürtel stuff.

Don't know if that helps :D

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Mon 12 Oct, 2009 8:38 PM Quote
woops.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 12 Oct, 2009 9:27 PM Quote
I didn't know Santa studied Spanish too :oP.
How was your exam? What did you talk about?

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 4:12 PM