Re: Vacation- Travis Style
TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 07 Oct, 2009 2:56 PM Quote
You look like a cute little schoolgirl on pic 4 ^^

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 07 Oct, 2009 3:32 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
Hey Kristy - thanks for the tips! I'm heading to NYC in December so I'll make a note of your Travis trip around the city. If you've got any other tips of things to do and see, let me know. Cheers Debbie.

In December will be gorgeous! We were talking about how gorgeous it would be at Christmas time. Make sure you go skating at Rockefeller Centre then!
And for you and Sandy and anyone else:

-The carousel in Central Park is amazing, as is just wandering through Central Park. Make sure you go to Strawberry fields
-The touristy stuff is nice if you havent been, but the real highlights were just wandering and stumbling upon stuff. Greenwich Village and Soho, etc are lovely. Washington Square Park.
-Times Square is major sensory overload but cool to see. Huge difference between being there in the day and at night. And those I <3 NY shirts are $2 and $3 there. I even found one in a kid's size that fit, lol.
-Go to Broadway
-Magnolia Bakery and Serendipity for frozen hot chocolate are musts!
-NY Library is amazing!
thats all i can think of off the top of my head. Mer can probably give you more info on museums and galleries. We tried to go to the MOMA but the line was really long and decided we didnt want to wait.

And a lot of people stay in New Jersey and take the train in, but I would suggest staying right in the city. It costs more but way better. We loved our hotel.

And as for the bull, I didnt really have some great internal bull grabbing feeling, lol. It was more of a jump in when you can as all the tourists are there taking pictures!

Oh, and there are so many booths selling pictures and prints for pretty cheap, but hold out for the few that actually paint them themselves and not just the reproductions that see 10000 times in one block. We found one great place at Battery Park (where the Statue of Liberty Ferry is) and one on 59th Street outside of Central Park.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 07 Oct, 2009 3:34 PM Quote
she didn't go to SF for fear of going all florescent and seeing sharks jerseys

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 07 Oct, 2009 3:52 PM Quote
You know I <3 your pictures but I had to also mention I <3 <3 <3 your winter coat.

joss
joss Posted Wed 07 Oct, 2009 3:57 PM Quote
Beautiful fotoalbum!:)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 07 Oct, 2009 4:00 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
You know I <3 your pictures but I had to also mention I <3 <3 <3 your winter coat.

ME too. It isnt the one that I originally wanted that I saw online. It was a brighter blue with ruffles at the pockets, but a similar cut. But I loooove this one. It is so soft and I will feel all fancy in my Topshop coat.
Maybe it will be cold enough when Nik and Kayte are here and I will let them pet me.

This is the one I originally wanted, but I think I like mine better. I just liked the brightness of this one
http://media.topshop.com/wcsstore/TopShop/images/catalog/07A04VCOB_thumb.jpg

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 07 Oct, 2009 4:11 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

This is the one I originally wanted, but I think I like mine better. I just liked the brightness of this one
http://media.topshop.com/wcsstore/TopShop/images/catalog/07A04VCOB_thumb.jpg

same color as the Scotish flag ?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 07 Oct, 2009 4:13 PM Quote
For anyone interested, there are a zillion albums on FB, but I artsy fartsied some into this album. the link should be public so anyone should be able to see it. I think the carousel pics are my fav. And the birdie on the piller thing

http://tinyurl.com/ya7u7vq

irenesfor
irenesfor Posted Wed 07 Oct, 2009 6:57 PM Quote
WOW, I love those pics, Kristy!

deebee
deebee Posted Thu 08 Oct, 2009 11:54 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
deebee wrote:
Hey Kristy - thanks for the tips! I'm heading to NYC in December so I'll make a note of your Travis trip around the city. If you've got any other tips of things to do and see, let me know. Cheers Debbie.

In December will be gorgeous! We were talking about how gorgeous it would be at Christmas time. Make sure you go skating at Rockefeller Centre then!
And for you and Sandy and anyone else:

-The carousel in Central Park is amazing, as is just wandering through Central Park. Make sure you go to Strawberry fields
-The touristy stuff is nice if you havent been, but the real highlights were just wandering and stumbling upon stuff. Greenwich Village and Soho, etc are lovely. Washington Square Park.
-Times Square is major sensory overload but cool to see. Huge difference between being there in the day and at night. And those I <3 NY shirts are $2 and $3 there. I even found one in a kid's size that fit, lol.
-Go to Broadway
-Magnolia Bakery and Serendipity for frozen hot chocolate are musts!
-NY Library is amazing!
thats all i can think of off the top of my head. Mer can probably give you more info on museums and galleries. We tried to go to the MOMA but the line was really long and decided we didnt want to wait.

And a lot of people stay in New Jersey and take the train in, but I would suggest staying right in the city. It costs more but way better. We loved our hotel.

And as for the bull, I didnt really have some great internal bull grabbing feeling, lol. It was more of a jump in when you can as all the tourists are there taking pictures!

Oh, and there are so many booths selling pictures and prints for pretty cheap, but hold out for the few that actually paint them themselves and not just the reproductions that see 10000 times in one block. We found one great place at Battery Park (where the Statue of Liberty Ferry is) and one on 59th Street outside of Central Park.

Woohoo NYC here I come!! Thanks Kristy that's great. So much to do in so little time but I'm waaay too excited :-)
We've booked our hotel not far from the Rockerfeller center so iceskating is def on the cards. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Xmas lights etc. I was originally going to bring forward the trip so we could see the Frandy gig but we didn't want to lose the Christmassy atmosphere by going in November - tough choice :-S
BTW, Serendipity, is that the same sort of place as in the film? Cosy café?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 08 Oct, 2009 1:32 PM Quote
deebee wrote:

yup, its an eclectic little cafe. We were there on a thursday night and it was about a 40 minute wait, but there was someone infront of us that said they had never waited for a table before. There is a huge candy store down the street though for wasting time once you've given them your name :)

deebee
deebee Posted Thu 08 Oct, 2009 4:57 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
deebee wrote:

yup, its an eclectic little cafe. We were there on a thursday night and it was about a 40 minute wait, but there was someone infront of us that said they had never waited for a table before. There is a huge candy store down the street though for wasting time once you've given them your name :)

Yum!! I've just checked out their website - desert heaven :-D
Is it better to book a table beforehand maybe? I've read a few reviews where lots of people complained about the waiting time. Looks well worth the wait though.

Finally - which of you American boardies are going to teach me some handy all-American phrases (not ones that will get me beaten up or arrested!!) I'd hate to sound too much like the British tourist I am, lol!
I've already sussed out that I have to say awesome and not amazing so I'm learning.......

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 08 Oct, 2009 5:57 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
minnmess wrote:
[quote="deebee"] BTW, Serendipity, is that the same sort of place as in the film? Cosy café?

Is it better to book a table beforehand maybe? I've read a few reviews where lots of people complained about the waiting time. Looks well worth the wait though.

And just a note:
I went into it a little scared of being mugged, etc, but I didnt feel unsafe the entire time. It was me an another girl, neither of us over 5'3" and less than intimidating looking and we were fine. I think I saw a handful of homeless people in the 5 days we were there. Mayor Bloomberg really did send them somewhere!
Other people at Seredndipity had "real" food and everything smelled amazing but the frozen hot chocolate was to die for. Even in cold cold December, you should get it! If they take reservations, that would probably be a good idea!

Oh and we went to a piano bar called Dont Tell Mama that was so much fun! Giant sing alongs of classics, 80s pop, show tunes and fat middle aged stripping cross dressing waiter/singer (seriously, it was hilarious). And a really hot doormen, if that's your thing :P

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 08 Oct, 2009 6:17 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
minnmess wrote:
deebee wrote:

Finally - which of you American boardies are going to teach me some handy all-American phrases (not ones that will get me beaten up or arrested!!) I'd hate to sound too much like the British tourist I am, lol!
I've already sussed out that I have to say awesome and not amazing so I'm learning.......

No way! You should be as British as possible. Everyone likes Britishness!

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Fri 09 Oct, 2009 2:28 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

I'm with Anne, that coat rocks! If I wasn't such a big fat cow right now, I'd be on that sucker like white on rice.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:35 AM