Travis

Sad news =[
cosmic
cosmic Posted Tue 11 Aug, 2009 4:59 PM Quote
Mum phoned me at dinnertime telling me that our vet has said its time to make a decision regarding our family dog ... she's 11, diabetic (had it since 2005 and were told we'd be lucky to get 2 years out of her, been lucky to get 3 and a half), blind, deaf and sometimes doesn't eat for days. We've had to up her insulin and last month her glucose went sky high and we can't get it to come down, the vet's told us we can carry on injecting her with insulin or put her to sleep. I'm gutted, I know it was always going to come and I had been preparing for it but when she said, I just can't believe its came round ...

I know its for the best but its just so sad! and I know I'm rarely home but its going to be sad when I come home and there's no dog to greet me at the gate when I come from uni (even tho I'm graduated and all that shizzle)

Me and my brother are speaking about getting our parents a new dog for Christmas - its a miniature schnauzer we'd be thinking on again - anyone know of any breeders in Scotland?

Re: Sad news =[
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 11 Aug, 2009 5:10 PM Quote
I'm so sorry. This is a very hard decision to make, but if she's suffering then I think it's best to put her to sleep, so she won't be in pain anymore. You'll always have all the nice memories of the times you spent together. Still, it's very sad :o(.

cosmic
cosmic Posted Tue 11 Aug, 2009 5:21 PM Quote
I know, I've been telling myself for weeks that she's done really well. To be told that when she was diagnosed with diabetes that we would be lucky to get 2 years out of her and she lives for 3 and a half after the diagnosis is really good ... its just sad if you know what I mean. Yeah there's loads of good memories, like all the capers with the neighbours cats and how she used to bomb about the garden. I was on for getting another breed of dog cos our neighbours at home have some sort of terrier crossed with a Westie and my parents are really taken with the breed but I saw a photo of a miniature schnauzer and it was black and white and my heart melted. So I'm gonna have to get saving for this pooch for Xmas - student loans and my crap wages don't go very far like!!

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Tue 11 Aug, 2009 5:34 PM Quote
I agree with Juli.

So sad. Cheer up!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 11 Aug, 2009 5:58 PM Quote
Schnauzers are so cute!
I have a Weimaraner called Dickens that's almost 8 years old. Weimaraners are beautiful, but if you like small dogs, then it's not a good option :oP.

cosmic
cosmic Posted Tue 11 Aug, 2009 8:15 PM Quote
yeah, it's just a sad time - my brother's asked my mum to wait til he's on holiday before they make their decision. I've already said I'll go home cos my mum had to put the last dog to sleep and hated being there herself but she's basically put the decision on to my Dad but he's not saying anything ... personally, I don't want her to suffer anymore. I'll cheer up don't worry haha, to be honest I needed to have a good cry about something, had a horrible night at work last night - I hate lonely weird men who spend far too much in a bar, guy actually tried to tell me to get a haircut last night when there's nothing wrong with it... Made me so mad, he actually likened it to some tramps whose hair had never seen shampoo before. If I'd had the energy I'd have probably smacked him! haha

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Tue 11 Aug, 2009 9:26 PM Quote
i know how you're feeling, i lost my 3 buddies in these past years, had them form more than 12 years, and it's horrible the feeling when they're sick and old. But it's better for them not to suffer anymore. I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

I have now a Schanuzer, she's 1 year old, if you like them, you should get one for your parents, they're great dogs.

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Tue 11 Aug, 2009 9:32 PM Quote
So sorry to read your news.....we lost our first mini schnauzer two years ago and it was so hard, they become a member of the family don't they?

Sorry I can't help you with any breeders in Scotland as I'm in England and we've never got our dogs from breeders anyway. Could you look out for dog through mini schnauzer rescue? Our current dog (pic is my avatar!) is a rehomed one, the previous family couldn't cope with him as they were a growing family themselves. Works out a lot cheaper this way...can't believe how expensive schnauzer puppies are....although they are the cutest things ever!!

erikausagi
erikausagi Posted Tue 18 Aug, 2009 7:58 AM Quote
aww gosh!! I completely understand you!! I had a similar situation a few years ago with my dog.. still hurts me... but I think it was the best choice for him.... we miss him... :(

vampire_lover
vampire_lover Posted Sat 22 Aug, 2009 5:06 PM Quote
I know how sad it is, my rabbit died 7 months ago. He was sick, but we didn't think it was so serious. He passed on our hands, waited till the morning to say us good bye... I hated when people was saying that I should be happy coz he was really old for a rabbit - it doesn't make anything easier, maybe only this person will feel better.
New animal is a good idea, but don't get it too fast. Now I have a sweet cat and don't feel so empty when coming back home :)

daytimeoyster
daytimeoyster Posted Mon 24 Aug, 2009 4:01 PM Quote
oh i'm sorry about your lost....
i lost my bunny last year and i totally understand how it feels

Ksu
Ksu Posted Wed 09 Sep, 2009 5:19 PM Quote
Sorry about your lose.Dogs are our friends and their dead always so sad=( I have a dog Scottish terrier and I love her so much.I don't want think about her death...It will be not soon...i hope

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 6:52 AM