Travis

Music and Dating
Safe Side
Safe Side Posted Mon 27 Jul, 2009 4:50 PM Quote
Hey

Just out of intrest how important do you guys think a shared musical taste is in dating? I'd Love to meet a girl who shares the same musical taste as me but I've never really found her, i end up just ramballing on about obsucre bands to bored faces and draggin girls to gigs where they wait for the one song they know or whatever......instead of match.com and all these silly sites there should be one that just matches people using there ITunes or somthing lol

if my ramble makes any sense discuss

P.S if theres any girls out there who love Ryan Adams and Travis give me a a call lol

Re: Music and Dating
killer queen
killer queen Posted Mon 27 Jul, 2009 4:59 PM Quote
yeah, gigs with people talking when, instead, they should be paying attention really suck! I agree, that's why i have sometimes to go to gigs on my own, because i hate to go with someone that doesn't enjoy the show as me...

Last two Travis gigs i had to go alone because no one of my friends likes them... anyway, i spent the time with more travis' fans (bogusblue and her brother), so it was ok...

Once a friend of mine told me the killers were better than radiohead... I love radiohead and i'm not that into the killers so he really pissed me off!! ...i barely spoke to him for the next days, hahaha ...

i agree anyway...

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Mon 27 Jul, 2009 5:28 PM Quote
I don't think it's that important. I drag my husband to all kinds of shows, I tell him he's getting some culture, lol.

mili
mili Posted Mon 27 Jul, 2009 5:46 PM Quote
My husband's and my music tastes overlap somewhat, and a very important part of our courtship was sending mix tapes to each other (we lived in different countries, before home burned cds). We both found new music we liked and some we didn't.
I guess I'd find it hard to enjoy a saturday night at home, if he insisted on playing some fusion jazz albums to me, so I'd say at least some common ground in music tastes makes life easier. Don't forget, that people's taste evolves, so even if your date doesn't like Ryan Adams and Travis now, she might learn.

Safe Side
Safe Side Posted Mon 27 Jul, 2009 6:29 PM Quote
carlottarocks wrote:
I don't think it's that important. I drag my husband to all kinds of shows, I tell him he's getting some culture, lol.

Thats what will end up happening to me, i was once draged along to a George Micheal concert by a girlfriend lol

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Mon 27 Jul, 2009 6:49 PM Quote
i use to think it mattered a great deal...until i fell for a fella with the opposite taste in music as me (indie girl, hip hop boy?). it's not that big a deal in the end. a plus, but not a dealbreaker.

my best friend on the other hand has said she can't "see" herself with someone who doesn't like the same music as her. just limits herself when you come down to it.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 27 Jul, 2009 6:58 PM Quote
I think it's nice to have some overlap but it's always fun to have your horizons expanded. Ultimately I think it's best to have a mate that shares your ideals and vision for life but has different tastes and hobbies. Then hopefully you can learn from each other. There are many things I wouldn't have done if I weren't with my husband and vice versa.

Darran
Darran Posted Mon 27 Jul, 2009 9:05 PM Quote
Lets see.

Travis - No
Oasis - No
OCS - No
Muse - No
The View - No
Doves - No
Snow Patrol - No

I end up going to gigs alone or with some random mate who wants my spare ticket.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 27 Jul, 2009 9:20 PM Quote
Darran wrote:
I end up going to gigs alone or with some random mate who wants my spare ticket.

Why do you get two tickets in the first place?

Darran
Darran Posted Mon 27 Jul, 2009 9:52 PM Quote
Cos I aint a hateful sod and have one incase someone comes running at the last minute in need of one which usually happens.

Now and again I'll sell it to a mates, mate or someone I barely know. Doesn't mean I hang round with them at the gig. I'm there for the music.

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Tue 28 Jul, 2009 4:17 PM Quote
mili wrote:
My husband's and my music tastes overlap somewhat, and a very important part of our courtship was sending mix tapes to each other (we lived in different countries, before home burned cds). We both found new music we liked and some we didn't.

ME TOO!!! He opened my ears to some stuff I'd never heard and some of it I liked and some I didn't; and vice-versa. Even now when I'm in a store and I hear a song he burned for me, even if it is one I don't particularly like, I still get a smile on my face cuz it is something we shared and something he picked out for me. It is def good to have some overlap, but like most of everything else, you don't want someone exactly like you. Differences can "spice it up".

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Tue 28 Jul, 2009 4:33 PM Quote
Darran wrote:
Lets see.

Travis - No
Oasis - No
OCS - No
Muse - No
The View - No
Doves - No
Snow Patrol - No

I almost always buy 2 tickets, either dragging my husband or taking along a friedn who has the evening open. If a friend comes, they usually pay for parking if needed and buy my dinner and drinks.

Nell
Nell Posted Tue 28 Jul, 2009 6:28 PM Quote
Darran wrote:
Lets see.

Travis - No
Oasis - No
OCS - No
Muse - No
The View - No
Doves - No
Snow Patrol - No

I would have gone to all those gigs with ya :P hahah

No honestly I think it is actually important...Not that they have to be total crazy about the same bands as I am - but I spend some great quality time going with a certain guy to a Travis gig 5 months ago - and now again...also seen Oasis, and some other bands with him...

Wherease at the moment I'm going out with a guy I kinda wanna get rid off....amongst other things going on my nerves..he loves Après-Ski-hits..like those drinking songs you sing when you're - as said - drunk! And folk music...and...aaach..

well since music is a very important chapter to me -....I need someone to share it with...;)

so therefore it'd be a very important matter AND I'm totally for this iTunes-match-thingy... :P are you going to launch one?

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 29 Jul, 2009 6:32 AM Quote
I don't think it's the most important thing in the world, but music is a huge part of my life so to me it is kind of a big deal. Maybe I'm just really picky! But I am more into the artsy cool guy than the gangsta or the cowboy anyways, so I'm more likely to end up with someone with a shared music taste cuz I'm attracted to that type of indie guy in the first place. If that makes any sense!! :)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 30 Jul, 2009 1:23 AM Quote
I do think that to a degree your musical tastes are revealing and so it seems likely that you'll be attracted to someone who you share similar musical tastes to. However I wouldn't discount someone solely based on this.

Except for Nickelback and Kid Rock. I have my limits.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:06 AM