Travis

Re: Could Travis be acused of neglecting their UK fans?
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:28 PM Quote

Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:33 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
That's fine. Obviously won't be joining any more campaigns for other countries now I know how people stand on UK gigs. :) Don't bother with Argentina Travis. Stay away. :) (half joke)

But honestly don't get this thing people have against them doing more UK gigs. As if they do loads. They certainly do not.

I'm not against UK gigs, I just feel that you don't realize how lucky you are to have not only a lot of more Travis gigs than we - on the other side of the world - could ever dream of, but also of any other band for that matter! I've waited years, literally, YEARS for my favourite bands to come here and you have them there for instance, every summer in festivals. My point is, don't take things for granted, you have no idea what real abstinence is like. Haha, I don't know if you've noticed but you touched a sensitive topic...

Let's say that before the much needed break they sure deserve, Travis should make a stop at the place that watched and helped them grow and then, take a little trip to South America, where they'll be more than welcome :P

Afterwards they are free to do whatever they want (for a couple of months at least, then we'll need a new record!)

davidbova
davidbova Posted Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:50 PM Quote
hey look this is daft.

didnt they say something about wanting to reach a new audience... play new places..

i dont see how you can even grudge a little bit them wanting to expand and seek new adventures.

they'll be back. just think what it mustve been like living in some far flung place and being a die hard fan, without the sniff of a gig.

is it the bi annual hissy fit or something?

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:50 PM Quote
Ana_Smith wrote:

Let's say that before the much needed break they sure deserve, Travis should make a stop at the place that watched and helped them grow and then, take a little trip to South America, where they'll be more than welcome :P

Afterwards they are free to do whatever they want (for a couple of months at least, then we'll need a new record!)

We don't ask for much, do we? ;o)

Nell
Nell Posted Mon 13 Jul, 2009 7:53 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I don't mean what I said obviously but I do get fed up of people thinking we have it so good with Travis in the UK. We don't. It's going towards 12 months now without a gig in the UK. Already 9 months. We don't get huge amounts of gigs at all. We get it better than other countries, but we don't get it great. And for that person to quote Selfish Jean is pathetic. 0 gigs in 9 months. I'm a selfish bastard.

Who's against UK Gigs? I'd love to see them there, when I'm back to London...I'd loved to see them there when I lived there as well - but that's not the point
we don't grudge you the gigs and we've never said something like "ahh you guys have so good with them anyway.." etc. etc...

I'm all for concerts in the UK...it just really get's on my nerves when ppl say (any ppl - also about other bands) that they should play there because they're from that country/continent/region/village/city/race/ and what the fuck there else is....

It's sounds just like if it was ok when they wouldn't come to any other country - but it's a huge deal when they don't come to the UK...

We're all desperately waiting for them. Others of us have also crossed boarders...to see them..

we're all sitting in the same boat - waiting for them.

:)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 13 Jul, 2009 8:37 PM Quote

leticia
leticia Posted Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:10 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Don't bother with Argentina Travis. Stay away. :) (half joke)

NO no no!!! I know you don't mean that please please pretty please!!! : P

I'm not offended Ben, you just want to see them play live... I'll do anything to see them again *sobs again*...

Ana_Smith wrote:

Amen sister!

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:25 PM Quote
You're not being looked down on Ben, I think you're overreacting here(maybe we all are). Errhm something just didn't feel right about that title of the page and then some of the reasons you gave for why Travis should do more gigs in the UK.

1. Their homecountry - made me feel like you have more rights to see them.

2. Record sales - sounded unfair to fans who live in small countries far away where Travis are pretty much unknown to the public.

It all just gave me an image that said: "They belong here with us cause we buy their records". Travis belongs to everyone!

Anyway of course you have my support! You would have gotten it straight away if I hadn't reacted to some of the statements you gave :P

Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:37 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
You're right, we're all waiting in the same situation waiting for them. But it seems that if I were to request a tour of my country I would be looked down at as if I was a criminal rather than the support and hugs people from elsewhere seem to get.

Sorry again if I caused offense. I was only stating I believe Travis should do more concerts here. And my reasons for that seem to have brought about calls that I'm selfish because of that. I find that very disappointing.

Awww, I'm sorry, Ben!! *hugs*
It's just that, as you said, we all want to see them and maybe I came out a bit defensive. We are on this board for a reason and it always makes me happy to hear that someone is going to a gig soon because we all deserve it! So it's ok that you're asking for your turn to see them as well...

I hereby endorse my support to the UK campaign ;)

But you can't ask me not to bring up the fact that I'm still waiting...and waiting...

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:47 PM Quote

leticia
leticia Posted Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:59 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

2 - It's just logic that a country where they've sold 5 million albums should expect more gigs than a country where they've sold quarter of a million. More demand there obviously. I don't mean each individual, I mean in mass. In general. The country as a whole. :) If Travis had huge success in Sweden, I honestly believe they would do regular concerts there. :)

Sad but true :(

BenFilbert wrote:
No, I didn't mean it. You know you have my support and you have had from the very start. :)

We know :)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Mon 13 Jul, 2009 10:03 PM Quote
Okay Ben, problem solved, I think :) Or at least there's no use in discussing it anymore... It's just that it is a sensitive subject when someone complains about only 20 gigs, especially for me when I don't know what I can do to make them come here. Should I buy doubles, cause I've already tried to convert all of my friends.. Travis needs to sell their soul like Coldplay and become more mainstream, instead of going more indie ;) Well we all know that more promotion means more album-sales and hopefully more gigs!!

Don't mean to sound jealous or anything, it's just desperation shining through.

Nell
Nell Posted Mon 13 Jul, 2009 10:07 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

Nora: Again, I don't behave that way. I have supported campaigns for them to visit other countries. Please don't say I don't because that's highly unfair. I believe Travis should play here because it's their own country and they've got so many people here who've purchased their records. I personally think that's a fair statement. It's ok if you don't, but I don't think it's fair to call me spoiled, selfish and Dudley Dursley because of that. You're right, we're all waiting in the same situation waiting for them. But it seems that if I were to request a tour of my country I would be looked down at as if I was a criminal rather than the support and hugs people from elsewhere seem to get.

Sorry again if I caused offense. I was only stating I believe Travis should do more concerts here. And my reasons for that seem to have brought about calls that I'm selfish because of that. I find that very disappointing.

Hahaha I'm sorry if I offended you, Ben. Wasn't my intention. I didn't want to say you're like Dudley - I just wanted to say what kind of impact(and not just yours) your statement left here with me :)

As it all turned out it was a huge misunderstanding. :) And I never even used the word selfish...;) I tried to explain why I used the metatpher of Dudley ;) but never mind..

If you guys want to have more concerts in the UK - we're all for it I believe ...;)
I didn't even say anything against this record thingy (although I believe it to be not accurate anymore - since ppl get music over other sources now..)

You just gave us the impression of "Travis belongs to us" ;) (As Alex said) Whether you inteted to do that or not - I don't dare to judge ;) But my "Dudley - metapher" was about that impression - not you ;)

So hopefully not heartfeelings ;)

About American/British bands ;)...I think there's also a very biiiiiiiiiiiiig "Lake" lying between those beautiful "countries"...

Also America is a whole continent ;) and UK "just" (but great!) country ;)...

But hey! I'm all forward for a gig in London :) The best date yould be Aug. 13th :)...or 10th..or something round that ;) hehe :)

May I offer a white flag and a flower? ;)

Good night,

and cheers

nora

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 13 Jul, 2009 10:23 PM Quote
I'd prefer to draw a line under it now. :) I'll just say that, I believe my previous actions with regards to using the Argentina pic as my avatar proves I don't think Travis belong here with me, and only me. Or this country and only this country. Certainly not. :)

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Tue 14 Jul, 2009 2:20 AM Quote
Ben, I think most people are reacting to the number. Twenty shows in one year for a place the size of the UK seems like alot to people who have to travel long distances just to see one show every 5 years. I would probably feel the same way as you if I lived there. I'd want more shows too.

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:33 PM