Travis

Re: Michael Jackson reportedly dead
minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 26 Jun, 2009 2:36 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

Princess Diana: Watching Saturday Night Live. They interrupted the program to say that she'd been in a crash, but she'd be ok. Then later they came back to say she had died.

I was too. It was the last Saturday of the summer before school started. The Spice Girls were the musical guests.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 26 Jun, 2009 2:39 AM Quote
Rammsfer wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
Rammsfer wrote:

Yeah ?
And what were ya doing?

Actually, people is saying that this day is the same as the day when Lennon died...

watching TV , the news busts in the show , " john Lennon has been shot " and I was thinking Ok he could live through it and then it cuts in again " john lennon had died "

I'm kinda bummed about Sky saxon dying today , i did meet him once but never saw him play

How old you were at the time?

They stole Lennon's life, they shot him, and MJ lost it in a natural way.

18 . i went to the lennon memorial a day or two later and had some crazy hippie chick chastise me and my friends for getting high cause ,

" He did alot for peace "

I did shoot back ,

where is there peace ? he like to party too

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 26 Jun, 2009 2:41 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Princess Diana: Watching Saturday Night Live. They interrupted the program to say that she'd been in a crash, but she'd be ok. Then later they came back to say she had died.

I was too. It was the last Saturday of the summer before school started. The Spice Girls were the musical guests.

I remember that episode! But it was at the time when I wasn't "old enough" to watch SNL, so my parents wouldn't let me watch it. Was that an unnecessary quote?

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Fri 26 Jun, 2009 3:51 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
Rammsfer wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
Rammsfer wrote:

Yeah ?
And what were ya doing?

Actually, people is saying that this day is the same as the day when Lennon died...

watching TV , the news busts in the show , " john Lennon has been shot " and I was thinking Ok he could live through it and then it cuts in again " john lennon had died "

I'm kinda bummed about Sky saxon dying today , i did meet him once but never saw him play

How old you were at the time?

They stole Lennon's life, they shot him, and MJ lost it in a natural way.

18 . i went to the lennon memorial a day or two later and had some crazy hippie chick chastise me and my friends for getting high cause ,

" He did alot for peace "

I did shoot back ,

where is there peace ? he like to party too

Yeah sure that's why they shot him. Take that peace, Lennon!

Meridith
Meridith Posted Fri 26 Jun, 2009 5:17 AM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Meridith wrote:
Lemon Grinner wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Jeff Goldblum died today too. Apparently he fell while shooting a movie.

Where did you hear this? Coz my sister saw it on some really fake lookin website, and someone else told her. I think it's a joke tho...

Someone sent me a link...but I haven't been able to find anything else on it...so it's probably not true.

UPDATE: Jeff Goldblum HAS NOT died. I repeat. HE'S ALIVE. On E! They just confirmed that they made some calls to his representatives and he's alive and well in NZ. So... false alarm.

Good deal! Glad it wasn't true.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Fri 26 Jun, 2009 6:23 AM Quote
Just heard it on the news this morning. I usually listen to the news at 6 before getting up and I'm usually half-asleep while doing so. But my lord, I was wide awake when I heard these news.

It feels kinda strange that he's gone but I can't say I'm surprised. He put his body through quite a few things and he seemed generally fragile.

Obviously they're talking about MJ on tv this morning. Just heard one of the 'experts' call him the global village idiot. Oh, and those quotes weren't really unecessary cos I'm sure that tv will be filled with people who call themselves experts based on attending a concert in 1970 or seeing MJ outside a hotel once many years ago.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 26 Jun, 2009 6:52 AM Quote
It was a crazy day in the newsroom today with big news about GM, the Silverdome, Farrah Fawcett AND MJ. We had to change the front page layout around several times! I still can't believe Michael Jackson is dead. It hasn't sunk in yet. He was a weird dude, but you can't deny his talent and impact on music. He was a real icon and I'll remember him most for The Jackson Five, the Thriller days, my favorite song of his, "Billie Jean," and the moonwalk. He was so cool back in the day and his music really reached such a huge audience.

mili
mili Posted Fri 26 Jun, 2009 7:28 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
In a way, it's like there were two Michael Jacksons. The one I remember seeing doing the "moonwalk" on stage and wondering how in the world he did it, and then the bizarre person he morphed into. I think most people my age see it that way. Michael was always quirky, but in the 80's before all the surgeries, before the skin fading, before all the accusations against him, he was really something. I was never a fan, but most of my friends were. I'm probably the only person I know of who DIDN'T own Thriller.

It's weird that he's gone, but I don't think anyone expected Michael Jackson to become old.

Remembering when people died:

Elvis: I was in Kentucky with my grandparents, just coming back to Michigan. They were playing his songs the whole way, on every radio station. I remember my grandma saying, "I sure wish we hadn't lost Elvis." I think that's when I figured out that he died. I was 6.

John Lennon: I went to my babysitter's house after school and saw it on the front page of the newspaper.

My thoughts of Michael Jackson are pretty much the same as yours. I bought Thriller from a sales pile this year, as my son had shown some interest in his music.
15 years ago he had a statue advertising campaing in connection of his History album, we saw this huge statue at the Zürich railway station. It was pretty impressive.

When Elvis died I was surprised, somehow I had thought he was dead already…
With John Lennon, I don't remember when I heard the news, but I do remember reading about it in a teeny music magazine Lennon extra soon after.
When Diana died it was a lovely, hot summer's day, my husband playing with our 1-year old in the garden, radio on indoors, where I was just getting something, when the news came through.
The same child told me about Jackson this morning, she heard it on the radio.

mili
mili Posted Fri 26 Jun, 2009 7:28 AM Quote
Damn double post.

frandougeil
frandougeil Posted Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:27 AM Quote
I was stunned,still am actually.Was kinda half asleep before finally hearing it on my local news channel.Very very sudden.
Not a huge fan but my dad bought his album Dangerous,and i do remember hearing songs on that album occasionally when i was much younger.esp black and white.Remember vividly that wee bit weird video too.He's a music icon who's known by soooo many young or old.For good or not so good reasons.But we all can't deny he did shape some things in the music industry and was very much a great source of inspiration for many.I hope now that he's gone people will remember him for all his contributions to the music world.And weirdly I felt the same about his death being on the same shock/sudden level as john lennon's.
RIP MJ and Farah Fawcett too.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:36 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

You're a lovely person yourself, obviously.

First of all why do you attack this person for his views on Jackson, he's expressing a view and you decide to make it personal, are you Jackson's lawyer or PA or something ??

strongbow1 wrote:
he was just a kiddie fiddler who made some shit songs - all child perverts deserve nothing but death!!!

Secondly ALL CHILD PERVERTS ? who decides whether someone is a pervert or not, what about the guy who picks up a girl in a disco who tells him she's 18, they go home have sex and then it turns out this girl is underage ?? Does he deserve death ??

Thirdly while never a huge fan of the baby dangling alledged paedo white plastic wannabe freak. Someone has died, there is a family left behind some children have lost a father, some parents have lost a son, some siblings have lost a brother and that is a sad thing.

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:21 AM Quote
Didn't take HMV long to jump on the commercial bandwagon.

Dubz

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:42 AM Quote
He gave his views on Michael Jackson, I gave my views on him. Don't see the difference. Apart from the fact one of them has just died.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:50 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
He gave his views on Michael Jackson, I gave my views on him. Don't see the difference. Apart from the fact one of them has just died.

Apart from the fact that one of them is simply a member of the public and the other is a superstar who offers himself up for critrism, perhaps ??

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 26 Jun, 2009 1:49 PM Quote
Has anyone heard who is going to raise his children? For their own sakes, I hope they'll be raised out of the public eye. Maybe they can have a chance at normal lives.

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:39 AM