Travis

Re: Jon & Kate + 8... not doing so great
ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Thu 28 May, 2009 9:56 PM Quote
I also think that the media has a responsibility. TLC should take responsibility and pull the plug on this train wreck. It's ratings gold for them, but at the cost of the implosion of a family. And all of these other news outlets the ones that reported on the supposed affairs (Kate with bodyguard, Jon with a schoolteacher), should have made sure they got their facts right. Even the implications are damaging.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 28 May, 2009 10:06 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
I also think that the media has a responsibility. TLC should take responsibility and pull the plug on this train wreck. It's ratings gold for them, but at the cost of the implosion of a family. And all of these other news outlets the ones that reported on the supposed affairs (Kate with bodyguard, Jon with a schoolteacher), should have made sure they got their facts right. Even the implications are damaging.

I agree the media and TLC have some responsibility but ultimately it's on Jon and Kate because it's their family. If they quit there would be no show and no media attention.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Thu 28 May, 2009 10:35 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
ElspethOllie wrote:

I agree the media and TLC have some responsibility but ultimately it's on Jon and Kate because it's their family. If they quit there would be no show and no media attention.

Unless they signed some kind of contract for so many years to do the show. They might be obligated to do it. You never know. But I agree, Kate is such a control freak!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 29 May, 2009 12:47 AM Quote
hennypenny wrote:
Unless they signed some kind of contract for so many years to do the show. They might be obligated to do it. You never know. But I agree, Kate is such a control freak!

I think I read some statement from TLC that said they have a multi-year contract but if the family wanted to leave the show they would respect their wishes.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 29 May, 2009 6:33 AM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:

As long as it's making money, TLC could care less if they are partially to blame for the demise of a family. That is how the mass media works these days. They don't give a damn about integrity and only care about ratings and advertising. The ratings for Monday’s season premiere of Jon & Kate Plus Eight were huge. The episode attracted 9.8 million U.S. viewers, nearly double the audience the Season 4 finale drew. It was also TLC’s most-watched show ever.

Nell
Nell Posted Fri 29 May, 2009 11:50 AM Quote

I just saw a few episodes on youtube - but I think those parents are doing a great job - considering that it takes some nerves to manage something like this - and they still got the patience for each other and the kids - and do things like "special days" for each of the kids etc.

not bad

I wanna have a "special day" as well :( :D

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 29 May, 2009 1:37 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

I just saw a few episodes on youtube - but I think those parents are doing a great job - considering that it takes some nerves to manage something like this - and they still got the patience for each other and the kids - and do things like "special days" for each of the kids etc.

not bad

that was last season. Wait until you get to this season. The family has completely fallen apart.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 29 May, 2009 5:45 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

not bad

If by "great" you mean the parents don't communicate with each other, the mother has to schedule her sextuplets birthday around her public appearances, and each parent is absent for long stretches of time because they can't stand the sight of each other then yes, they're doing great.

lindsey22295
lindsey22295 Posted Fri 29 May, 2009 11:45 PM Quote
I watched it in the beginning, but it has gotten out of control. I can't stand Kate. They need to give it up and get back on with their real lives so the kids can have some chance at a normal childhood.

Here is a good article about it all.

I found it interesting that the show would be illegal to do in CA due to child labor laws.

lindsey22295
lindsey22295 Posted Sat 30 May, 2009 12:07 AM Quote
Sidenote: Does anyone remember when TLC used to stand for The Learning Channel?

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Sat 30 May, 2009 6:02 AM Quote
lindsey22295 wrote:

That was an unpleasant read.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 30 May, 2009 4:06 PM Quote
lindsey22295 wrote:

I didn't know it stood for something else now.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 30 May, 2009 4:10 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
lindsey22295 wrote:

I didn't know it stood for something else now.

Kinda the same way MTV used to mean Music Television.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Tue 02 Jun, 2009 2:14 AM Quote
Why am I watching this*? It's a trainwreck, horrible. The whole show just has this depressing overtone to it, nothing like it use to be. It's Kate's birthday and Jon is in Utah snowboarding! Sad sad sad.

*Because Duff from Ace of Cakes is guest starring.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 03 Jun, 2009 5:12 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
lindsey22295 wrote:

That was an unpleasant read.

I finally got around to reading this. It was actually really well-written. But yeah, very, very unpleasant. Poor kids.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:11 PM