Travis

Question about opening bands
Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 2:59 AM Quote
Let me start by saying that I have absolutely NO knowledge about how the music business works. My husband and I were talking today about the Republic Tigers and we were both wondering how a band/group gets to open for other bands/groups. Does the headliner get to pick? Does the label have any say? Are there auditions? How much money do they usually get; is it a percentage? I figured I would ask here cuz I feel a lot of you may have experience/knowledge on the subject. I would appreciate ANY answers w/ regards to this topic, even if I didn't ask the question!

THANKS!!

<3 B

Re: Question about opening bands
Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 4:36 AM Quote
Since Travis are their own record label now, the choice is 100 percent theirs, but yeah, I'd be interested in knowing just how the opening acts get selected. Good question! By the way, so far I've seen Rooney, John Paul White and The Republic Tigers open for Travis and the Republic Tigers were by far the best opening act I've seen.

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 5:24 AM Quote
Yeah, I've seen all those too, as well as Remy Zero in '01. At the time I really liked Remy Zero, but I think that the Republic Tigers have given them a run for their money. I can't remember how Remy Zero was live, but I def think the Republic Tigers are REALLY good live. My husband and I decided that if they are in the area again, we would see them again (and we have already seen them twice!).

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 6:20 AM Quote
One complaint I heard from a Travis fan in Cleveland was that you can't understand a single word RT's lead singer is saying. I sort of agree with that. I was singing along to "Buildings and Mountains" because I know and love that song, but the others I couldn't really pick up many words. They still have a GREAT sound though, and I did like every single song they played. I think I'm going to get their album.

lindsey22295
lindsey22295 Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 7:29 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
One complaint I heard from a Travis fan in Cleveland was that you can't understand a single word RT's lead singer is saying.

I agree with that also, but I did know Buildings and Mountains. I liked them overall. Their cover was absolutely great!
I got a smile from the skinny guitar guy on the left in LA :)
Oh and the tambourine is just plain badass.

Peter76
Peter76 Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 10:32 AM Quote
I asked Kenn after the Seattle show on how they got the coveted spot of opening for Travis. He told me that the arrangement was made through a mutual friend of himself and Travis back in Kansas City, where the Republic Tigers are from. No record label execs, no "special connections", nothing.

For the record the Republic Tigers had toured with Travis on some of their European dates last year.

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 4:07 PM Quote
lindsey22295 wrote:
Nikki wrote:
One complaint I heard from a Travis fan in Cleveland was that you can't understand a single word RT's lead singer is saying.

I agree with that also, but I did know Buildings and Mountains. I liked them overall. Their cover was absolutely great!
I got a smile from the skinny guitar guy on the left in LA :)
Oh and the tambourine is just plain badass.

I agree w/ everything you both said! HAHA! I think that Feeling the Future is an EXCELLENT opening song too. It really gets you in the mood (esp w/ that tambourine!). I really wanna get their album, but I'm a little strapped for cash right now, so I have to resort to their myspace and youtube to hear their stuff :(

Peter76 wrote:
I asked Kenn after the Seattle show on how they got the coveted spot of opening for Travis. He told me that the arrangement was made through a mutual friend of himself and Travis back in Kansas City, where the Republic Tigers are from. No record label execs, no "special connections", nothing.

For the record the Republic Tigers had toured with Travis on some of their European dates last year.

Thank you so much for this information! Yeah, I saw them open for Travis in England in Oct, and that is why I was doubly curious as to how this whole process works. I was pretty surprised that a band from Kansas was opening over seas. Is this common, or am I just naive about the music biz?

Meridith
Meridith Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 5:40 PM Quote
I was wondering about all of this too. Republic Tigers have been my favorite by far of the opening bands for Travis that I've seen. The others I saw were Goldspot, and Maximo Park. I got the Republic Tigers' cd awhile back after listening to them on the MySpace link Fran had posted on the board. I was super excited when they announced that they would be opening for them in the US as well. I really like the cd, but have to say I think I like them a bit more live. They definitely have got a rockier sound when playing live. Buildings & Mountains and The Nerve are my favorites from their album. They played a remix type version of The Nerve in SLC and it was awesome! Anyway, I thought they were a great opening band for Travis. :)

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 6:54 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:
I really like the cd, but have to say I think I like them a bit more live. They definitely have got a rockier sound when playing live.

I totally agree; they are really good live. From the few album version songs I've heard, I think there is just something missing as compared to live. They've got a lot going on in their songs and I think you can hear everything better live; it's "multi-dimensional" (best way to describe it?).

Meridith
Meridith Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 6:58 PM Quote
Lizzie b wrote:
They've got a lot going on in their songs and I think you can hear everything better live; it's "multi-dimensional" (best way to describe it?).

Oooh, good way to put it! I totally agree! You can hear and experience the "layers" better live.

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Mon 27 Apr, 2009 7:28 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:
Lizzie b wrote:
They've got a lot going on in their songs and I think you can hear everything better live; it's "multi-dimensional" (best way to describe it?).

Oooh, good way to put it! I totally agree! You can hear and experience the "layers" better live.

YES exactly!!! Layers.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Tue 28 Apr, 2009 12:44 AM Quote
I agree with you all. The Republic Tigers have been my favorite of the opening acts for Travis.

Peter76
Peter76 Posted Tue 28 Apr, 2009 7:43 AM Quote
Actually, I really like Maximo Park when they opened for Travis too. But don't tell anyone. Shhhhhhhh.........

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 28 Apr, 2009 1:24 PM Quote
Jason Faulkner for me , too bad everyone was talking during his set

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 28 Apr, 2009 6:23 PM Quote
The Republic Tigers were OK in London but personally I thought the Alexandria Quartet in Paris were MUCH better, excellent in fact! Their album should be out in May hopefully.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:56 AM