Travis

Sincerest apologies - Love, Chicago
Anonamous3
Anonamous3 Posted Sun 19 Apr, 2009 3:21 PM Quote
An apology is much do to the men of Travis in regard to their concert held in Chicago on April 18, 2009. The ticket that you purchased for the show is not a pass allowing you to be a jerk. Having one too many beers does not make it acceptable to shout obscenities during a sincere marriage proposal on stage. And the man standing next to me with the I’m-too-cool to smile, or shout, or clap disposition? I’d love to know why he even chose to be there.

When you love a band as much as we all claim to love Travis, the fanaticism needs to be balanced with respect. The key element of respect was missing last night. I usually leave a Travis concert with a renewed sense that our society is inherently good after all, and that maybe, just maybe, we’ll all be okay in the end.

I left last night’s show disappointed, but also grossly feeling like a shameful dog with it’s tail between it’s legs. This wasn’t due to my specific actions, but those of the audience at large. If you were like me, you missed the interaction between band and audience. You might have noticed the precious chit-chat of Fran was almost completely absent last night. I felt like the band almost bolted from the stage when their set was complete. The whole evening felt rushed, as though the band just wanted to play the songs and get it all over with so they could move on to better things.

Tsk, tsk, Chicago. Travis was our esteemed guest and we really need to work on our skills of being a gracious hostess.

Re: Sincerest apologies - Love, Chicago
nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Sun 19 Apr, 2009 4:05 PM Quote
Anonamous3 wrote:
An apology is much do to the men of Travis in regard to their concert held in Chicago on April 18, 2009. The ticket that you purchased for the show is not a pass allowing you to be a jerk. Having one too many beers does not make it acceptable to shout obscenities during a sincere marriage proposal on stage. And the man standing next to me with the I’m-too-cool to smile, or shout, or clap disposition? I’d love to know why he even chose to be there.

When you love a band as much as we all claim to love Travis, the fanaticism needs to be balanced with respect. The key element of respect was missing last night. I usually leave a Travis concert with a renewed sense that our society is inherently good after all, and that maybe, just maybe, we’ll all be okay in the end.

I left last night’s show disappointed, but also grossly feeling like a shameful dog with it’s tail between it’s legs. This wasn’t due to my specific actions, but those of the audience at large. If you were like me, you missed the interaction between band and audience. You might have noticed the precious chit-chat of Fran was almost completely absent last night. I felt like the band almost bolted from the stage when their set was complete. The whole evening felt rushed, as though the band just wanted to play the songs and get it all over with so they could move on to better things.

Tsk, tsk, Chicago. Travis was our esteemed guest and we really need to work on our skills of being a gracious hostess.

I am so sorry to hear that you had a bad experience :(

Anonamous3
Anonamous3 Posted Sun 19 Apr, 2009 6:22 PM Quote
The music was superb, as always. I just felt like the audience was rude last night.

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Sun 19 Apr, 2009 6:23 PM Quote
YIKES!

mph101
mph101 Posted Mon 20 Apr, 2009 1:14 AM Quote
I have to say I agree, that guy shoulda gotten thrown out. That was pretty awesome that Travis allowed him to pop the question on stage and sit up there while they played humpdy dumpdy love song!. Awesome....!! That guy in the crowd shoulda gotten tossed what a jerk... As far as the show I've been a Travis fan for years but it was my first concert. And I'll be getting tickets for my friends and I on the next tour!! I was very very happy with the bands performance better than I could have even imagined!! Please come back soon! Forget that guy, he doesnt represent your fans in Chicago!

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Mon 20 Apr, 2009 1:50 AM Quote
I agree that there were some rude ppl at last night's gig, BUT for the most part, I felt the crowd was great (at least where I was standing). I doubt that Travis are immune to rude drunk ppl; there are always idiots in any crowd. I'm hoping that Fran's attitude was more due to the fact that he kept getting shocked by his mic. I also believe that a band should always put there best foot forward for the fans who ARE respectful and enjoying their night. If the band was THAT put-off by the handful of asses in the crowd, then I would be SORELY disappointed that I got the cold shoulder because of it.

I agree, I thought the set was one of the best I've been to (and this was my 6th show), BUT I do believe that Fran's usual chit-chatty self was not present. I LOVE when he interacts positively with the crowd; it's one of the ingredients to a great Travis concert. Last night lacked that and for that I am a little disappointed in the show. BUT I will repeat: it was still one of THE BEST I've been to (all the other 'ingredients' to a good show were there).

In short, I REALLY REALLY hope Fran's attitude was due to other factors other than the few d-bags in the crowd. I'M a true fan & would be hurt if I didn't get the best from the band because of said d-bags.

<3 B

Peter76
Peter76 Posted Mon 20 Apr, 2009 3:27 AM Quote
I can't believe someone tried to ruin SamuraiSandy's marriage proposal!! =(

We had a similar situation in Seattle where a few guys were being quite rowdy, pushing and trying to get to the front. They were thrown out immediately after the first song when Fran asked what was going on. It definitely soured the mood but the rest of the night more than made up for the blunder.

Honestly, don't waste your calories. I've learned that you can't control what other people do or say, so don't let the hooligans in and prevent you to enjoy Travis's music.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 20 Apr, 2009 3:33 AM Quote
Well I was standing surrounded by boardies so it was all peace and love over there.

I missed Fran's chatter but when he finally told the audience what was going on with his mic I felt so bad for him and understood why he wasn't interacting as much. He had a really tough night but he still gave it his all and singing wise I didn't have a clue until he explained.

Regarding the heckling during the proposal, rude indeed but the couple is besides themselves and that certainly didn't ruin anything. Tyler giving the finger was actually pretty awesome.

I presumed Travis bolted from stage because Fran had had enough.

It was still an incredible show and I am so happy I was there.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Mon 20 Apr, 2009 4:51 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Well I was standing surrounded by boardies so it was all peace and love over there.

I missed Fran's chatter but when he finally told the audience what was going on with his mic I felt so bad for him and understood why he wasn't interacting as much. He had a really tough night but he still gave it his all and singing wise I didn't have a clue until he explained.

Regarding the heckling during the proposal, rude indeed but the couple is besides themselves and that certainly didn't ruin anything. Tyler giving the finger was actually pretty awesome.

I presumed Travis bolted from stage because Fran had had enough.

It was still an incredible show and I am so happy I was there.

Ditto! It was an incredible show and as always, the guys really outdid themselves. Thanks Travis!!

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Mon 20 Apr, 2009 4:56 AM Quote
Honestly, I was so wrapped in the moment, I did not notice it at all, until Fran told them to shut up. They didn't ruin anything for me or Tyler because we just ignored it all. (well, except for Tyler's finger :D )

The rest of the show was wonderful. I am sorry for Fran for getting shocked all night long. Despite that, they still put on an amazing show!

woos99
woos99 Posted Mon 20 Apr, 2009 5:48 AM Quote
Travis was excellent again despite the few idiots. I've been to countless concerts and there's jerks at every show. We all know the type, the frat-boy mentality and those more concerned with drinking beer than enjoying the music. I've done my best to try to tune those people out, but I don't think it affected Travis' performance much. They were as good last night as they were at the Vic 21 months ago, which was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

clatter
clatter Posted Mon 20 Apr, 2009 6:49 AM Quote
Sadly, I've been to a handful of shows that were marred by dorks in the audience, and the King Dork who yelled "pussy" in Chicago happened to be standing in front of me. He had been downing the brewskies all evening, so hopefully he has that as an excuse. I thought the proposal came off beautifully even in spite of the *true* pussies, who would never have the guts to do that.

Being shocked by a mic all night long is really awful and can be very distracting when you're trying to perform (unfortunately I speak from too much experience). The last thing you want to have to concentrate on is how far your mouth is from the mic; like Fran said, it really gets you out of the zone. He must have been frustrated when no help was immediately forthcoming. I hope the guys had a good time in spite of it all; we sure did!!

singme0430
singme0430 Posted Mon 20 Apr, 2009 7:32 AM Quote
I'm really sorry to hear that there were some idiots that tried to spoiled the concert and also the lovely proposal. That's awful. But I hope you still had a good time! At least, you enjoyed Travis' great music, right? ;) Forget about the idiots.

Peter76
Peter76 Posted Mon 20 Apr, 2009 11:31 AM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
Honestly, I was so wrapped in the moment, I did not notice it at all, until Fran told them to shut up. They didn't ruin anything for me or Tyler because we just ignored it all. (well, except for Tyler's finger :D )

LOL yea that part was pretty awesome. =D

lilpinkpenguin
lilpinkpenguin Posted Mon 20 Apr, 2009 12:18 PM Quote
There were some lame people at the chicago show... However, this by far has been my favorite concert ever! I was introduced to travis by my boyfriend last year and have enjoyed listening to the band but have never been really into them. After the concert this weekend I have becomme obbssessed! I have never had as much fun and enjoyed watching a band like i did with travis. It is so awesome to see a band that really loves what they do! I know most bands do but with travis you could just feel that they were haveing a blast. I am already trying to get tickets to go see them in boston or cleavland.. if my schedual will allow :(. Anyway, It was the best time i have ever had and I left in so much pain ( I didnt realise I wouldnt be able to really sit and had spent all day walking around chicago) but it was soooooooo worth it!

THANK YOU TRAVIS FOR SUCH AN AMAZING TIME!

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:31 AM