Travis

the vexations of technology...
lilly
lilly Posted Sun 08 Mar, 2009 10:21 PM Quote
ok, now it's official:
technology hates me.
after my notebook's hard disc drive gave up last year (while I was in spain, needing the thing to search for a room), NOW the inbuilt air-blower thingy has almost given up! (what's the correct expression? the thing that keeps the system cool? oh dear... me & tech-English = utterly hopeless combination)

I called a computer-helpline and they (were very nice and) told me HP would charge about 90euro just to say what it might cost to exchange the thing (that would cost another 90 euro, and then some more cash would have to be paid for the repair itself etcetera).
the service-guy told me not to invest the money because the notebook is so "old" (4,5 years, a HP pavilion ze4600 *sigh*)...

I have no idea what to do now. I have no money to buy a new notebook. Nor does my (still unemployed) mum. And I need (as in: NEED!) a notebook to write my dissertation (in the library, where the books are)...

Any similar experiences?? (maybe with a HAPPY ending)?

Re: the vexations of technology...
barlickbabe
barlickbabe Posted Sun 08 Mar, 2009 10:29 PM Quote
I hate technology too and I am in a process of trying to simplify my life because these things cause so much stress. When my laptop breaks I don't think I am going to buy another I will just use the library computers. We feel the need for all this technology in our lives but I feel it often brings much misery when it starts going wrong.
Can you get a second hand one? or a reconditioned one? they can often be cheaper.

Re: the vexations of technology...
lilly
lilly Posted Sun 08 Mar, 2009 10:39 PM Quote
barlickbabe wrote:
I hate technology too and I am in a process of trying to simplify my life because these things cause so much stress. When my laptop breaks I don't think I am going to buy another I will just use the library computers. We feel the need for all this technology in our lives but I feel it often brings much misery when it starts going wrong.
Can you get a second hand one? or a reconditioned one? they can often be cheaper.

we don't really have library computers. well we do, but they only work for researching stuff in the library system.

*sigh* I hate technology.
I don't have time to look for a cheap second-hand notebook - and since I only have about 200euro "left", looking for one wouldn't make much sense...

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 7:01 AM