Travis

For the Last Time...
DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Thu 05 Mar, 2009 10:21 PM Quote
The o-zone layer, its status, its atmospheric effects, and what affects it, has NOTHING to do with global warming, the greenhouse effect, etc.

Every day I hear things like "well you're leaving your lights on and depleting the o-zone layer"
or "the ozone layer is causing the planet to get warmer and melt the ice caps"

OZONE and GREENHOUSE EFFECT are NOT RELATED

Re: For the Last Time...
TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 06 Mar, 2009 12:32 PM Quote
Okay, thanks for clearing it out :)

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Fri 06 Mar, 2009 1:04 PM Quote
Wasn't that an "interesting" enough post for you Alex?

As for global warming, what irks me about the whole thing is the idea that if we make changes we can stop it . Completely idiotic in my opinion.
The focus should be on how we deal with the changes that are happening to the climate , not trying to stop it.

King Canute comes to mind.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Fri 06 Mar, 2009 2:40 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:

As for global warming, what irks me about the whole thing is the idea that if we make changes we can stop it . Completely idiotic in my opinion.
The focus should be on how we deal with the changes that are happening to the climate , not trying to stop it.

King Canute comes to mind.

Exactly
We're human, we do stupid things, THEN we compensate. If the compensation CAN result in a reversal or ceasing altogether, we'll do it.

Besides most scientists are confident that the outward period of orbit of the earth is at a point where you'd expect us to get warmer anyway. The greenhouse effect DOES occur, but there aren't many actual scientists would ever claim its the sole reason for current climate change. If a scientist says that, they are NOT scientists because they are not basing a conclusion on evidence.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 06 Mar, 2009 3:05 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:

Climate subjects are always of importance and therefore very interesting to me, but this sounded more like a statement or teaching, so I didn't have much more to add to it ;)
I wasn't being ironic at all though, it's a good subject!

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Fri 06 Mar, 2009 4:26 PM Quote
Well, that in mind, though I don't have to or want to, I'll now ask if anyone doesn't understand the difference between the two or what either one is, feel free to ask.

Seems a really stupid thing to put since I could just explain them both briefly regardless - but I've been 'pulled up on this' a few times, stating something instead of something else - don't really understand it, so there is a (genuine) offer.

:D

mili
mili Posted Fri 06 Mar, 2009 6:15 PM Quote
Well, I thought the greenhouse effect takes place in the ozone or somewhere near there in the atmosphere (I'm not too clever with the scientific bits, especially not in my own language), BUT I don't think the global warming has anything, or at least not much, to do with the humans. The temperature of our planet has changed a lot during it's existance (ice age, anyone?), and will do so again.

A hole in the ozone layer means you'll either get tanned or mealnoma (or both) more easily. It's also harmful for the plants.

Saving energy is a good idea to save the natural resources, and keeping the planet clean sounds like a good idea. Especially important is to keep drinking water clean, there's going to be a huge demand of it in the future. Countries with large sweet water resources can find themselves in the focus. Slightly worrying, as I live in a country with 1000 + lakes. Water might be the next oil.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 06 Mar, 2009 6:26 PM Quote

I could probably research all this stuff about Ozone and Greenhoose and all the other Global Climate shite but, Fuck It, I really don't care about it, I'll be long gone before it seriously fucks up. So Fuck It, I didn't break it, I'm not fucking fixing it.

Dubz

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 06 Mar, 2009 6:38 PM Quote
Well at least I've stopped using hairspray! That's a good thing, isn't it? ;)

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Fri 06 Mar, 2009 7:46 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Well, I thought the greenhouse effect takes place in the ozone or somewhere near there in the atmosphere (I'm not too clever with the scientific bits, especially not in my own language), BUT I don't think the global warming has anything, or at least not much, to do with the humans. The temperature of our planet has changed a lot during it's existance (ice age, anyone?), and will do so again.

A hole in the ozone layer means you'll either get tanned or mealnoma (or both) more easily. It's also harmful for the plants.

Saving energy is a good idea to save the natural resources, and keeping the planet clean sounds like a good idea. Especially important is to keep drinking water clean, there's going to be a huge demand of it in the future. Countries with large sweet water resources can find themselves in the focus. Slightly worrying, as I live in a country with 1000 + lakes. Water might be the next oil.

Most of that is right at least to an extent, but the first part is wrong.

The ozone layer is nothing to do with greenhouse gasses:

Ozone - this is just an unusual layer of oxygen configuration around the earth. It consists of O3 molecules (as opposed to 03). All this layer does is restrict the sun's radiation to an extent, which yes, without which our chances of skin cancer are significantly higher. The problem with this is nothing to do with greenhouses gases. The ozone layer is depleted by the mass use of CFCs (Chlora-flura-carbons) which come from old-fashioned fridges, hair sprays and other aerosols and some volatile chemicals. It is self-regenerating, and on the mend, and back to normal.

Greenhouses effect - this is the EFFECT whereby normally the sun's rays will heat up the earth by entering the atmosphere, bouncing of the surface to heat up the land, then bouncing back out to space with a small amount being trapped for warmth. Greenhouses gasses (gasses including nitrates and carbons emitted from power plants, planes, cars, trucks etc) are pushed into the atmosphere, which makes it thicker, thus more sun-rays are trapped, making us a little warmer. this DOES happen, but is unlikely to be solely responsible for the current climate change - it is as you've said, more to do with the orbit and natural climate change.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 6:48 PM