Travis

U2 robbing world's poor?
Peewee
Peewee Posted Thu 26 Feb, 2009 4:14 PM Quote
U2 robbing the poor?

I seen this today, what do you think? Does it matter where they put their money? Is this a big fuss over nothing or do you think U2 should live how they preach?

Aída
Aída Posted Thu 26 Feb, 2009 7:56 PM Quote

Why do you insist on dissing them Aida??
Dex
Dex Posted Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:05 AM Quote
I am a fan of U2 also. But Aida we can't presume to know each band members' intentions when they support charity groups.Let's remember you don't know any of them personally, so you can't possibly expect you opinion to be accurate. Okay they are all super-rich and it may seem hypocritical that Bono speaks out against world poverty, but to be blunt, they probably deserve their respective fortunes.
They have been the most relevant band in musical history (with their career spanning thirty years plus.) No other band can touch that fact. They have made great/popular music for so long and have made a huge impact on the music industry as a whole; whether you like them or not you cannot deny this. They have got literally millions of people 'into' music, which can only be a good thing. They have never claimed to be saints (read Bono's recent interview with Q magazine) so why the constant disrespecting them? You can't be angry at a band for becoming rich and successful; surely if you were a musician you would crave this?..and you would certainly not turn it down, if you indeed had the chance.
I accept that there are just as much U2 haters as U2 lovers, and everyone's entitled to their opinion as regards their music; but please stop making statements which are based entirely on presumption. I think there are a lot of people who are simply jealous of these guys' bank balances (and musical status), and this in turn influences their opinions of U2's music. I'm not directing this at you Aida, seeing as you said you are actually a fan of their music.
But I'm just sick of all these people online who are almost making it out as though Bono is the antichrist. When Manchester United couldn't stop winning the league, people began to despise them; same with Steven Hendry the snooker player; I think this applies to U2, who have undoubtedly been the biggest band of at least the last 15-20 years. People love to see the winners fall on their arse.
Just take some time to think before you judge these guys, as they have never came across (to me anyway) as anything other than genuinely nice people.

Re: U2 robbing world's poor?
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:46 AM Quote
As with all these type of articles, they are usually down to someone or some organisation having an agenda to push.

None of us know what any member of U2 gives to charity. Yes the article says they were paid x amount of millions but beyond that it does not mean anything.
We do not know what they did with that money.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:19 PM Quote

I have been mentioning this issue for quite sometime, most of you know my feelings on Bongo and co.

Of course there is an agenda, nobody in Ireland gave a fuck where they were spending their money until the recession hit. Now all of a sudden it's a big deal ??

from Irish Times.

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:45 PM Quote
In the interests of fairness...

Bongo's reply in Today's Irish Times.

Dubz

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 11:40 AM