Travis

Call the Police!
DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Thu 26 Feb, 2009 8:27 AM Quote
Why is everyone so afraid to call the police?
People are happy to sit in their houses and out on the streets in the middle of the night there might be drunks screamin at each other, kids running up and down and being complete pests, and no one in these whole streets think its worth calling the police, then before you know it, someone's window is panned in, someone's been beaten up, someone's been broken into, or some innocent person is being harrassed...?

I call the police the moment I think something is getting annoying. Why drunks feel they have a given right to shout and sing and scream down streets (especialy right next to children's homes and nursing homes) and that its perfectly acceptable, and how they don't realise people are actually sleeping a matter of metres away from them, is completely beyond me. I call the police, and lo and behold, the police are here within a few minutes and telling them to shove off, and you see and hear from them less and less.

Especially the way 'kids' are these days where they just won't listen to anyone (often including the police) but pretty much the only people gonna do it is the police. If they think the police are gonna be called, they don't come back.

Thank jeebus I live in a really good area, but even here if anything happens I call the - thats what the police are there for, and in Dundee theres no huge amount of crime for them to be attending so they might as well be takin in asbos and neds. I'm only in my early 20s and don't put up with this crap cos I can see the way society is going - especially from what I've seen in England.

When we can't rely on the parents to discipline kids any more because theyre so young they don't have a clue what it is, then we can't rely on the teachers to say 'anything negative whatsoever' so the kids get away with murder, and punishing is now a last resort because mis-behaviour is apparently a result of trauma and bad-parenting and hence not something they have to deal with - bollocks - the only people we can trust to dish out discpline and the law, is the police.

Re: Call the Police!
mili
mili Posted Thu 26 Feb, 2009 9:12 AM Quote
I do call the police, but it often takes so long for them to came, that the problem people have left well before their arrival. Also, sometimes the attitude of the police is really annoying. When calling about a gang playing music in full volume from their car stereos with open doors in the middle of the night I was asked what kind of music it was. It was also suggested that we try to talk to them, which my husband actually had done several times before that. The stereo incident took place 11 years ago, these days I don't think he would go out to talk to them anymore, it's too dangerous.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Thu 26 Feb, 2009 10:03 AM Quote
mili wrote:
I do call the police, but it often takes so long for them to came, that the problem people have left well before their arrival. Also, sometimes the attitude of the police is really annoying. When calling about a gang playing music in full volume from their car stereos with open doors in the middle of the night I was asked what kind of music it was. It was also suggested that we try to talk to them, which my husband actually had done several times before that. The stereo incident took place 11 years ago, these days I don't think he would go out to talk to them anymore, it's too dangerous.

Thats ridiculous - what kind of music?
I completely agree, I used to deal with them through my teens - I'm a pretty tall well built guy, so I didn't mind reasoning with people in any way. Now, someone can turn nasty just because you're within 20 metres of them. The police are the only resort. The reason I posted this is that when I'm at friend's or familie's houses that are not in very good areas, they just always say "och don't worry it happens every night" etc etc. I ask why they don't call the police "och theres no point, theyre not doin that much harm..."
I honestly can't believe it - especially in a city like mine where there honestly aren't that many big and regular disturbances, and we've got one of the largest police forces per city.
I say call them, call them, and call them again. Its not like you can't be anonymous

mili
mili Posted Thu 26 Feb, 2009 10:48 AM Quote
Here you have to give your name and maybe phone number, but that doesn't put me off from calling.

With the noise trouble we considered hinting that there were drugs involved or a dead body, at least someone would've come then…

The Finnish police are understaffed, and they don't really shift if it's just "a bit of noise", unless there's some violence or serious vandalism involved, too. Graffiti is nothing and setting a bin shelter on fire is just "kids having fun". I live in the capital, and the country boys don't want to move here (can't blame them), flats are expensive and police work hard.

On the positive note the mounted police has good rapport with children and there are all sorts of campaigns to connect with kids and local communities, maybe all is not lost.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 26 Feb, 2009 10:52 AM Quote
there's a madman around
Running down underground to a dive bar
In a West End town

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 26 Feb, 2009 12:25 PM Quote

I guess normally people are even more afraid of the police ;)

or that they cause even more trouble then you already have ;)

Dunno that's what people say here..

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 26 Feb, 2009 12:28 PM Quote
Hey Dave , well said . I think you should go to your MP so they can see that a younger person ( meaning you) can identify with the problem , as opposed to being it. If more people stood up something might get done!

Tonie
Tonie Posted Thu 26 Feb, 2009 2:39 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:

I can see the way society is going - especially from what I've seen in England.

??? We're not in some crime-riddled primitive anti-society, we English!

Much of what you're saying is reasonable. I would be interested in you qualifying ^^^^^

Have you been a victim of crime whilst visiting England? In which case, I can understand your point of view. Otherwise...please explain.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Thu 26 Feb, 2009 3:00 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
DavesUrMan wrote:

Much of what you're saying is reasonable. I would be interested in you qualifying ^^^^^

Have you been a victim of crime whilst visiting England? In which case, I can understand your point of view. Otherwise...please explain.

Yep in England my entire family, visiting for two days, were subjected to ridiculous amounts of intolerance, primitive stereotypes, and discrimination.
I'm also basing that off of general statistics, general knowledge, friends and family living there, and the news.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Thu 26 Feb, 2009 3:29 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
Tonie wrote:
DavesUrMan wrote:

Yep in England my entire family, visiting for two days, were subjected to ridiculous amounts of intolerance, primitive stereotypes, and discrimination.
I'm also basing that off of general statistics, general knowledge, friends and family living there, and the news.

I think that you're doing even more stereotyping than your bullies!!!

I would be interested to know what happened. I have no experience of anti Scottish discrimination in England, and am struggling to accept that in 2 days' visit, all that happened to you was getting tormented!

Knife crime, if that's the statisic you're thinking of, is a shocking phenomenon, but I can't believe that this is confined to English culture.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Thu 26 Feb, 2009 4:18 PM Quote
What have I stereotyped...?

The issue(s) that took place was a general disdain, but there were 3 seperate incidents that were really quite shocking.

Of course the knife and crime culture isn't limited to england in the slightest, but obviously having the largest population, the largest number of schemes, etc, the most frevolant gang cultures, its just a known statistic. But even Glasgow is a revolting culprit for the above.

I have a fair number of family that moved down to england and theyve all had pretty nasty experiences (most of them not abot being anti-scottish, most in general is just a shock for them the amount of crime in a smaller city than the one they grew up in, that sort of thing)

Tonie
Tonie Posted Thu 26 Feb, 2009 4:28 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:

The issue(s) that took place was a general disdain, but there were 3 seperate incidents that were really quite shocking.

I have a fair number of family that moved down to england and theyve all had pretty nasty experiences (most of them not abot being anti-scottish, most in general is just a shock for them the amount of crime in a smaller city than the one they grew up in, that sort of thing)

General disdain suprises me. What is it that they are disdainful of? What incidents?

England isn't terrible. Has your family down here had some terrible experience?

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 26 Feb, 2009 4:30 PM Quote
They shouldn't let on they are from Dundee. Then people wouldn't show such disdain Dave :)

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Thu 26 Feb, 2009 4:35 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
They shouldn't let on they are from Dundee. Then people wouldn't show such disdain Dave :)

Haha :P
Apart from it now being on the monopoly board, luckily most of the world doesn't know of dundee (thought I think they should). It keeps us out of the way of terrorism, a lot of harsh crime, etc.

But the family is three cousins of mine and their wives, one doctor, one dentist and one engineer

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 7:15 PM