Travis

Re: Learning Difficulties
kiwi
kiwi Posted Wed 25 Feb, 2009 12:39 PM Quote
mili wrote:
There's this Finnish businessman, Hjallis Harkimo, who had difficulties at school, something to do with concentration or dyslexia or both. Later in life he sailed around the World on his own, built a couple of ice stadiums and owns an ice hockey team, amongst other things.

Small difficulties with handwriting or reading or whatever don't make you thick (just like Gladly wrote), you might have to work a little bit harder than others if the symptoms require that, or find alternative ways to do things, but it won't stop you from doing ok or brilliantly in life.

Wow that's pretty inspiring! It definitely shows mind over matter. I suppose everyone has problems at something during their life... might have to change my attitude a bit... cheers for your reply :)

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 25 Feb, 2009 1:55 PM Quote
Kiwi, I hope that you find the help that you need with your consultation. I would love to be able to offer you advice, but am not qualified. Unlike some, though, I am finding this thread interesting reading.

DavesUrMan wrote:
BLah blah blah, annoying nonsense, what a pointless thread, keep your levels of intelligence to yourself, I'm so annoyed, make me the centre of attention, I'm great, I have various mental illnesses yet call other people the same, I'm so not childish blah blah blah, don't know why I'm in a forum about a discussion if I don't like it, blah blah, I'm gonna talk to a bunch of people about you in a negative way because theyre too weak to confront you because all their arguments were flawed.

now THATS childish

Is there any chance that this has been posted in the wrong thread by accident? Benefit of the doubt, anyone?

Davesurman, I credit you with insight and intelligence for your individual perspective on matters historical, biblical etc. So this post comes as quite a surprise.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Wed 25 Feb, 2009 2:00 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
Kiwi, I hope that you find the help that you need with your consultation. I would love to be able to offer you advice, but am not qualified. Unlike some, though, I am finding this thread interesting reading.

Thanks. I'm sure I will, learning a bit about something can be helpful in understanding and overcoming all sorts of difficulties that everyone has, which is why I bought this up. I've got heaps of messages from people who have learning difficulties and it's always good to hear from people with similar problems, because everyone is different and has different perspectives and advice.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Wed 25 Feb, 2009 2:18 PM Quote
spid wrote:
I'm one of those teachers I think Dubz - I haven't been on the board for a while - but I have diagonsed and taught children with all 3 of these conditions.

Why is there the hostility to this thread? If someone needs a question answered or help given why can't that be done here? Why is it taken as egotism?

In answer to the original question - I am degree educated done very well in life I think but was diagnosed with dyslexia at 35. It hasn't made a huge difference to my life other than knowing now why I do some things and gaining a few extra coping stratagies. If the OP if already at uni then they are doing well anyway, they will already have developed their own ways of coping but if a little extra help can be given then that is good.

If the OP wishes to PM me then feel free and I'm do my best to help and we can avoid the slanging match that appears to want to take place.

Guys - grow up!

Oh really? I suppose if you get used to something you don't stop to think why you're struggling, and just getting on with it. I'm in first year with uni, and I'm doing alright, but at the moment I'd be lucky to get a low second/third, no matter how much I study. The consultant said my LADS results suggest I should be getting 2:1's easily. I've had to repeat a paper and it's really hard to work up the energy to work when it seems pointless, which is why I took the test in the first place... then there's self esteem issues that seem to be normal.. it's good to know people go through exactly the same thing and it's not the end of the world. What kind of things did you find helpful?

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 25 Feb, 2009 3:37 PM Quote
I don't know much about this myself so can't really offer any advice but i want to wish you good luck and also say that again, there are a couple of horrible posts in this thread. I really don't know how some people can behave in such ways and feel alright in themselves.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Wed 25 Feb, 2009 4:19 PM Quote
you want to see the nasty bullying invasive personal comments she puts in other people' threads mate

Aída
Aída Posted Wed 25 Feb, 2009 5:08 PM Quote

spid
spid Posted Wed 25 Feb, 2009 5:26 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
you want to see the nasty bullying invasive personal comments she puts in other people' threads mate

SO that makes it okay to be the same does it? Do unto others etc . . . standing up to bullies is one thing, and being one yourself an entirely different matter. You and Aida crossed the line. I have been a way for a while and am appalled at the bullying that is now occuring on this board. This isn't the school playground niehter of you are chidlren you are adults try to act like it!

Aída
Aída Posted Wed 25 Feb, 2009 5:30 PM Quote

spid
spid Posted Wed 25 Feb, 2009 5:42 PM Quote
Aída wrote:
spid wrote:
DavesUrMan wrote:

SO that makes it okay to be the same does it?

If this doesn't what does? I mean, sometimes the only way of fighting fire is with fire. I understand your points and see how beautiful is getting on along well, but from my point of view sometimes you have to show your teeth too. And believe me, what she did I think is enough reason for what she got in this thread. Just saying

Say away . . . but my view is, lowering yourself to the level of the people you reputedly dislike and dispise the behaviour of is not the way to go. It is possible to state your case succinctly and without bile, rise above it all and feel great about yourself and the situation. Don't take the bait. There are ways and means without becoming what you hate.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 25 Feb, 2009 6:18 PM Quote
spid wrote:
niehter of you are chidlren you are adults

Lol!!! Apart from ^^^^^ I agree with everything you say, Spid!

The level of venom between some posters is staggering in its childishness, and the hostile anger would be pretty scary if it were real life.

The determination by some to turn every thread into a fight is pretty unpleasant, and makes playground bullying seem like a walk in the park.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Wed 25 Feb, 2009 7:22 PM Quote
Screw this! I'm done. I'm not the devil, I don't think I'm even a bully... though it would make some people feel vindicated to make people I don't even know think of me like that. It's just a sad online witch hunt, I've seen it before on here.

If I was a horrible a person, so horrible to warrant all this bullshit, surely more people would think so independently without needing convincing repeatedly. I'm sorry for having an opinion, I'm sorry for replying to posts... I'm sorry I even come on here any more.

See some of you on face book, I'm done.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Wed 25 Feb, 2009 7:55 PM Quote
kiwi wrote:
Screw this! I'm done. I'm not the devil, I don't think I'm even a bully... though it would make some people feel vindicated to make people I don't even know think of me like that. It's just a sad online witch hunt, I've seen it before on here.

If I was a horrible a person, so horrible to warrant all this bullshit, surely more people would think so independently without needing convincing repeatedly. I'm sorry for having an opinion, I'm sorry for replying to posts... I'm sorry I even come on here any more.

See some of you on face book, I'm done.

Apology, if somewhat misaimed, accepted. Perhaps you'll think more about other people's feelings before you do exactly what you've just spoken out against.

dee
dee Posted Wed 25 Feb, 2009 8:08 PM Quote
hey hannah.
dyspraxia used to be referred to as clumsy child syndrome. sometimes it can be as simple as just that. it's very easy to see sometimes in children learning pencil grips for the first time etc.
dyscalculia is often like a number version of dyslexia.
if i still have my college notes knocking around i'll dig them out.
to be perfectly honest, tonnes of people get around dyslexia etc by developing their own coping techniques, sometimes getting a diagnosis frustrates them further as they have worked so hard to get by with their own strategies that they see suggested strategies as logically backwards to them.
I have a couple of dyslexic/dyscalculic kids in my class (ages 10-12).
At this stage i can just about understand their own "spelling code", sometimes their way of spelling words just seems to make so much more sense than correct english!

Kristy
Kristy Posted Thu 26 Feb, 2009 9:09 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:

Do you have a heart? Or is it a swinging brick?

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:33 AM