Travis

Should Mark Ronson have won the brit award last year
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 9:36 PM Quote
I've just been listening to Version and to be perfectly honest it's SHITE!! It's easy listening/swing versions of songs that weren't even that good to start with. It's the sort of stuff you hear on holiday in fucking Lanzagrotty for fucks sake. Producer? ,me hole, the only thing he produces is loose stool water.

Dubz

Re: Should Mark Ronson have won the mercury/brit award last
Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 11:34 PM Quote
He didn't win the Mercury, Elbow did. Perhaps he got a Brit. If so....No, he shouldn't have. Unoriginal. Dull. And certainly not award worthy. He does covers ffs! There's enough new stuff being written that a covers pusher shouldn't be winning Brits.

Re: Should Mark Ronson have won the mercury/brit award last
the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 21 Feb, 2009 10:33 AM Quote
He didn't win it the year before either, that was the Klaxons. Brits-wise in 2007 he got Best Male Solo and was nominated but didn't win Best Album and Best Single (Valerie).

I like Stop Me, but he can barely claim credit for its success can he?

Re: Should Mark Ronson have won the brit award last year
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 21 Feb, 2009 11:43 AM Quote
He won 2008 Best British Male Solo Artist at the Brits.

Personally I do see the effect a producer has on records, Phil Spector and his "Wall of Sound", George Martin and the Beatles, Steve Lillywhite with the Pogues, etc etc. but I just don't rate Ronson in the same catagory to me he's more of a remixer and not a particularly good one at that, I mean Paul Oakenfold can take a certain amount of credit for re-launching U2 from a slump with his dance mix of Even Better than the Real Thing it basically sold the Achtung Baby album to a whole new set of fans. Or Armand Van Helden withy Tori Amos' Professional Widow but to me listening to Ronson's Version again it justs sounds like novelty remixes to me...

My learned colleague Mr Gladly raised exactly this point at the time and I kinda disagreed, on reflection a year later I think he may have had a point!!

Dubz

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 6:11 PM