Travis

Who conquered the world's highest mountain first
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 21 Dec, 2008 7:37 PM Quote
Hillary (girl's name) or sherpa Tensing ???

Fucking "Brits"... "We can't have one of these savages claiming the right the world's greatest climb"

Dubz

Re: Who conquered the world's highest mountain first
Moray
Moray Posted Sun 21 Dec, 2008 8:37 PM Quote
? I'm a bit confused as to the context of this rant - Hillary was a Kiwi, and not a Brit, albeit on a British expedition. His surname was Hillary and not his first name. And he insisted it was a team effort reaching the summit, never naming who was first. It was only Tenzig himself many years later that revealed Hillary was the first to the top. Still. Good chat.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 21 Dec, 2008 8:44 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
? I'm a bit confused as to the context of this rant - Hillary was a Kiwi, and not a Brit, albeit on a British expedition. His surname was Hillary and not his first name. And he insisted it was a team effort reaching the summit, never naming who was first. It was only Tenzig himself many years later that revealed Hillary was the first to the top. Still. Good chat.

Really ??

Because I have just watched a documentary on the whole thing, this was in 1953 when correct me if I'm wrong but New Zealand was still considered as part of the British Empire, Hillary (was he perhaps a Maori ?? or Brit???) also dissed Tenzing on several occassions whereas Tenzing being of Indian stock, but thinking of himself as a Tibetan, may have been more prepared to think of the achievement rather than who actually did it. I am also quite aware that his surname was Hillary, and not his given name, hence the facious part of me calling him a girl (or perhaps that went over your head !!) The Big GIVEAWAY is that he is Known the world over as SIR EDMUND HILLARY

Dubz

kiwi
kiwi Posted Sun 21 Dec, 2008 10:05 PM Quote
New Zealand was at that time known as a Dominion, neither within or outside of the United Kingdom. We got our sovereignty aroundabout 1924 so technically he was a kiwi, not a Brit. The Queen of New Zealand is Elizabeth II, and that is independent of the Queen of England (although they are obviously the same person). Up until recently there were Knighthoods etc given to NZ citizens in the honours system, which has now been replaced, although the Queen still gives some titles in her Birthday honours etc....
Sir Ed always said they both got to the top at the same time, who cares who actually stepped there first, they wouldn't have been able to get there without each other or the others at the base camps etc. Maybe you were getting confused with Mallory? I saw a doco on RTE today about him...

Moray
Moray Posted Sun 21 Dec, 2008 10:21 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Really ??

Because I have just watched a documentary on the whole thing,

oh! In light of this information, I do apologise, my learned friend! I didn't realise how in depth your research went. I'm off to watch a half hour show on Black Holes so I can put in for my phD.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 3:50 PM