Travis

Any cycling fans...
paul_c
paul_c Posted Sun 21 Dec, 2008 1:23 AM Quote
http://img.timeinc.net/time/2008/time_100_2008/lance_armstrong.jpg

What do you think about Lance's comeback? Is he strong enough to rival, or even beat, Contador at le Tour in July?

Ps. Vandevelde is looking remarkably strong too!

Re: Any cycling fans...
sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Sun 21 Dec, 2008 7:46 AM Quote
with the right drugs he'll be strong, but not as before obviously! I happen to follow the Tour, like so many french and even more so since I live near Mont Ventoux...stage before last this year so amazing! Been on a few stages before, how about you?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 21 Dec, 2008 12:04 PM Quote
I'm afraid he is going to crap out and tarnish his image. Erg. Really, 7 is enough. Retiring a champ was a good idea.

Moray
Moray Posted Sun 21 Dec, 2008 10:30 PM Quote
Hey Paul, I'm not too clued up on cycling, but whats your thoughts on the did he / didn't he drugs allegations against Armstrong for previously undetectable substances? Do you think he did it or is trying to take the high ground by not releasing samples?

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Mon 22 Dec, 2008 2:04 AM Quote
I haven't watched cycling since he left...I'm glad he's back. Maybe it will help get my ass back on the bike...traveling too much lately....

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Mon 22 Dec, 2008 8:58 AM Quote
Moray wrote:
Hey Paul, I'm not too clued up on cycling, but whats your thoughts on the did he / didn't he drugs allegations against Armstrong for previously undetectable substances? Do you think he did it or is trying to take the high ground by not releasing samples?

hoho you're actually wondering? It's a well known fact for those who follow, one of he's doctor released a book about it. Saying that most champions took drugs...except from the french of course;-)

Vendonmore
Vendonmore Posted Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:48 AM Quote
Lance is a legend. I love his way of riding, always a hunderd per cent dedicated. I also like to see his team controlling the course and almost a whole peloton. I remember that he once called back Simone when he was attacking. On his own, Lance just rode after him and after a couple of minutes they were in the peloton once again :-)
Beside Lance, is Basso also not making his comeback. It's going to be a awesome tour!

Hanne
Hanne Posted Mon 22 Dec, 2008 11:02 AM Quote
sorry angel wrote:

hoho you're actually wondering? It's a well known fact for those who follow, one of he's doctor released a book about it. Saying that most champions took drugs...except from the french of course;-)

Hmm... I seem to remember that Virenque was one of the riders to set off this whole scandal :oP

Yeah I also think that most of the good ones have taken drugs. Even though most of them are really talented and really good without the drugs, they would always lose to those who dope themselves. It's a very scary development.

haz
haz Posted Mon 22 Dec, 2008 3:52 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
http://img.timeinc.net/time/2008/time_100_2008/lance_armstrong.jpg

What do you think about Lance's comeback? Is he strong enough to rival, or even beat, Contador at le Tour in July?

Ps. Vandevelde is looking remarkably strong too!

lance armstrong is the ball. teehee.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Tue 23 Dec, 2008 2:03 AM Quote
Moray wrote:

I don't think he's ever doped. They found traces of a banned substance once, but it was from a skin cream he used to treat saddle sores, and this was cleared by the cycling governing body. The allegations have come from L'equipe, a French newspaper, and it's common knowledge to everyone that the French press are out to get anyone who isn't a French cyclist. Didn't really hear much about Virenque when he ADMITTED he'd doped- because he's French. Point proven?

Back to the Lance issue:
"People ask me what i'm on.. What am i on? I'm on my bike, busting my ass for 6 hours a day, what the hell are you on?"

I think he's just a brilliant athlete who trains like hell for the Tour, and i think in his 7 tours, there was only once he looked unstoppable.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Tue 23 Dec, 2008 2:06 AM Quote
Hanne wrote:
Yeah I also think that most of the good ones have taken drugs. Even though most of them are really talented and really good without the drugs, they would always lose to those who dope themselves. It's a very scary development.

You're just still grieving from the Rasmussen thing. He was so clever about his doping that he lied about where he was when he was doing it!

paul_c
paul_c Posted Tue 23 Dec, 2008 2:08 AM Quote
Vendonmore wrote:
Lance is a legend. I love his way of riding, always a hunderd per cent dedicated. I also like to see his team controlling the course and almost a whole peloton. I remember that he once called back Simone when he was attacking. On his own, Lance just rode after him and after a couple of minutes they were in the peloton once again :-)
Beside Lance, is Basso also not making his comeback. It's going to be a awesome tour!

I think Armstrong vs Contador is going to be a good battle. I remember seeing Contador attacking Rasmussen in the 2006 Tour and thinking his riding style was exactly the same as Armstrong's- so that's going to be a good battle. Especially with Valverde breathing down their necks!

But yes- Basso is back. I was reading that he proves that he was good as a clean rider by doing it clean, so at least he's honest. But if he isn't as good, he's in trouble! Haha

paul_c
paul_c Posted Tue 23 Dec, 2008 2:10 AM Quote
sorry angel wrote:
with the right drugs he'll be strong, but not as before obviously! I happen to follow the Tour, like so many french and even more so since I live near Mont Ventoux...stage before last this year so amazing! Been on a few stages before, how about you?

I've never been to France for the tour, but it is my intention to make it to the Ventoux this year!

With the right drugs? He's never been on drugs! Except VIP chemo.. the EPO kept him alive, but that's the only time he's ever used it in my opinion

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 23 Dec, 2008 2:11 AM Quote
paul_c wrote:
Back to the Lance issue:
"People ask me what i'm on.. What am i on? I'm on my bike, busting my ass for 6 hours a day, what the hell are you on?"

I LOVE that commerical. Infact, Im going to watch it right now.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Tue 23 Dec, 2008 2:12 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
I'm afraid he is going to crap out and tarnish his image. Erg. Really, 7 is enough. Retiring a champ was a good idea.

He's not doing it for the glory this time though- he's doing it to raise awareness for the 'global cancer struggle', which i think is awesome

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:20 AM