Travis

Music Radio
Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 03 Dec, 2008 12:10 PM Quote
Thread inspired by a bad experience today calling up Absolute Radio (rude git producer), and, in contrast, by a brilliant Market Research focus group I was fortunate to take part in last month (task: to create the perfect music playlist, commissioned by the BBC, for 6music):

Which, if any, radio station gives you the closest playlist to your personal taste?

Do you have a favourite radio station for different days of the week, or different times of the day?

Favourite dj's/ broadcasters?

Which radio stations do you despise, and why?

Re: Music Radio
Kristy
Kristy Posted Wed 03 Dec, 2008 2:33 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:

Which, if any, radio station gives you the closest playlist to your personal taste?

Do you have a favourite radio station for different days of the week, or different times of the day?

Favourite dj's/ broadcasters?

Which radio stations do you despise, and why?

1. Virgin Radio (I refuse to call it by its new name). Although the adverts drive me mad.

2. Nope. Though I only have an FM radio at work so can't listen to Virgin, I end up listening to Steve Wright on Radio 2 in the afternoons and just flick from one station to another in the morning.

3. Simon Logan - a legend at Radio Aire in Leeds. I used to listen to his breakfast show on a morning when I was at school (quite a few years ago now!), I always had earphones in my ears - got told off regularly for that!
And James Whale - despite his faults he's a first-class broadcaster. It was listening to him that made me decide I wanted to do a radio journalism degree.

4. Radio Leeds - seriously it sounds like student radio, in fact no that's an insult to student radio ... it's just terrible. I've heard a few different BBC local stations and they're all pants, but Leeds wins hands down. They have so many resources being the Beeb yet they can't string a radio programme together to save their lives. I had an assignment at uni in which I had to listen to a BBC station and give a critique. I pulled the whole station to pieces on their journalism, production, post-production etc ... I got an A (the one, out of only a few, that I'm most proud of) and it was marked by an ex-BBC local radio news editor!

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 03 Dec, 2008 3:08 PM Quote
Funny that. Cos Christian O'Connell is, imho, one of the most appalling broadcasters/ djs I have ever had the misfortune to listen to. I do have strong likes and dislikes, and I simply cannot bear to listen to him.For that reason, Absolute/ Virgin is the worst station for me. I also dislike their taste in old songs. They somehow seem to miss the mark. The current stuff is ok.

I'm really liking 6 Music at the mo, and not just because of the market research I did for them, but I just love the choice of music, and the broadcasters. You simply cannot beat the lovely Sean Keveny in the morning, or my hero, Guy Garvey on a Sunday evening, just for example.

On a Saturday I love listening to R2. I (used to) make a point of being by a radio for Jonathan Ross, and the same for Dermot O'Leary. I'm always out on a Saturday night, so sadly never experienced the pleasure of Mr Brand's evening show on R2.

When I was living in Leeds years ago, I also listened to James Whale on Aire. He's now on LBC, which is talk only, but I do tune in to him from time to time, & he's still got the knack!!! :)

Love your Radio Leeds story Kristy :)

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 03 Dec, 2008 4:02 PM Quote
I listen to Q sometimes but I'm not a big radio-listener. Occasionally they play something you love and had forgotten about or you get good recommendations but there's a lot of listening to music that you'd prefer not to in between.

I didn't realise that Absolute (sorry Kristy :)) was on freeview, is that a new thing?

Kristy
Kristy Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 2:43 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:

I didn't realise that Absolute (sorry Kristy :)) was on freeview, is that a new thing?

Nope, it's been on Freeview for about 2 years.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 10:07 PM Quote
I listen to Q sometimes but I'm not a big radio-listener.

Itunes? mp3? If not from the radio where do you hear about new stuff (apart from Elbow, cos I know that answer:) )

Edit: how's this for a double whammy? Travis on Dermot O'Leary's show this Saturday, new single plus a cover. Talk about flicking Tonie's switches!!! After the bitch of a day I've just had, this comes as most welcome news :)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 05 Dec, 2008 9:48 AM Quote
I tend to stay away from radio, the term DJ has become an oxymoron. Disc Jockey how about you play some fucking records instead of chatting inanely, Steve fucking Wright has a lot to answer for. As for this fucking phone-in Shite which has become so popular, Just piss off and play some fucking music ya bunch of wanks.

If I do listen to radio it tends to be over the interweb, WOXY.com is very good although these days there's not much newer stuff I like so I tend to listen to WOXY Vintage instead, who pretty much play non stop music. Unlike the radio station I heard yesterday who were bragging about playing a whole 20 minutes non stop music, non stop me fucking hole evry 3 minutes we were subjected to a trailer proclaiming "More Music, Less Talk We play more non stop music than any other Irish radio station, you listen to .... More Music, Less Talk"

Dubz

Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 05 Dec, 2008 1:09 PM Quote
^^^^lol, say it how it is, why don't you, Dubz!

It's cool. Another perspective. It'd be really boring if we all liked the same stuff.

And I've never heard of that online radio station. Will google it today, ta!

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Fri 05 Dec, 2008 1:56 PM Quote
I'll second WOXY ;) Though I tend to listen to the main channel, because I like the DJ's (when they talk it's usually about the songs they just played) And I also like the steady influx of new tunes.

You'll rarely hear the same song twice in one day. Hehe, in fact I've heard the DJ's apologize for that before once or twice. They're good with requests (within reason) and like Dubz said, there's always the unmanned Vintage station for the classics. Right now they even have a third Channel for Christmas tunes. (Which they do every year) All this stuff used to be combined more when the station was on the airwaves, but since it went internet only the main station concentrates on New Music a lot more.

And there's the Modern Rock 500, and the 97 best of...end of the year countdown (I'm not sure if it's still called that or if it has morphed into something else since the early days) And the Lounge acts, which I think are brilliant, and I love listening to even if I've never heard of the band before.

As for radio stations that boast less talk...20 minutes is not that many songs really. The funny thing is, sometimes it is less talk...when compared to other radio stations of the same format. Which is Sad.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 05 Dec, 2008 2:07 PM Quote
Left of the dial greatst radio stations in the world

http://kalx.berkeley.edu/

http://kusf.org/index.shtml

and don't forget my good friend Naked Robs' THRASH ATTACK on Thursday late afternoon

http://www.kscu.org/

http://www.kscu.org/program_details.php?id=134&day_id=4

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 05 Dec, 2008 8:37 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
I listen to Q sometimes but I'm not a big radio-listener.

Itunes? mp3? If not from the radio where do you hear about new stuff (apart from Elbow, cos I know that answer:) )

I always have a stack of bands which I need to check out - Vampire Weekend, Guillemots, Bluetones, The Coral are all bands I should listen to. When I'm online I create my own radio using last.fm, hypem.com etc and you can pick up a lot of recommendations on here and from friendly boardies :)

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 2:00 AM