Travis

toys from the 80's (random question)
Trixi
Trixi Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 9:33 PM Quote
Hi, I hope anyone of you is about my age (YOM 1976) and can help me remembering the name of a toy I'm desperately looking for as a christmas present but I just can't remeber what it was called like then.
I try to descibe it as good as I can in English but I'm afraid I'm shit at it.
Anyway, it was something like a board that looked a bit like a TV sreen from front.
The frame around the screen was colored (red in my case) and there was a button each to the left and to the right below the screen that you could turn.
With the left button you could draw a line up and down (up clockwise/ down anti-clockwise) and with the right button you could steer the line to the left and to the right. With a little practice and using both buttons at the same time you could draw all kinds of figures and forms. It really demanded some skill to draw a whole picture with it so...a really cool toy.
To restart and delete the previous drawing all you had to do was to shake the whole board very hard until the lines got thinner and thinner and eventually disappeared all...and while you shook it it sounded like there was sand in the board.
I went to "Spiele Max" today (a toy shop) and asked a seller if that thing still exist but he had no idea what i mean so I want to try to find it on ebay but don't know what exactly to search for.
Anyway...I don't suppose that was an only "east german" toy so does anyone of you happen to remember such a thing from his/her own childhood and can tell me the correct term of it? That would be great!

Re: toys from the 80's (random question)
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 9:34 PM Quote
You are looking for an Etch-A-Sketch?
http://sk1.yt-thm-a04.yimg.com/image/3acb0af8a90d8578

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 9:35 PM Quote
etch a sketch!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 9:35 PM Quote
hahaha, you beat me Kayte!

Trixi
Trixi Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 9:39 PM Quote
THAT IS IT! Thank you you much you both :D
Goes for a search on ebay...

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 9:41 PM Quote
They still make them. Just go to a regular toy store. My daughter has one.

Trixi
Trixi Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 9:58 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
They still make them. Just go to a regular toy store. My daughter has one.

Oh really? cool! Well, definitaly not at Spiele Max here. :-/
But two matches on ebay.de
http://i11.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/20/65/5711_1.JPG
Hmm..have they used to be so small? I mean compared to the hand in the picture. I remember mine was much bigger then...or maybe just because I was smaller, too. *shrugs*

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 10:01 PM Quote
they make different sized ones. Ive seen teeny keychain ones.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 10:01 PM Quote
Hey Trixi, long time no see!!! How are ya! By the way I LOVED those things. You can get them with wee pens now...much fun :) I got my niece a Barbie one last year for Christmas.

Trixi
Trixi Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 10:08 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
they make different sized ones. Ive seen teeny keychain ones.

ahh right..I found the right size now.
Keychain size?? That demands a lot more skill to draw something I guess, haha
Anyway, thanks again! :)

Trixi
Trixi Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 10:18 PM Quote
Peewee wrote:
Hey Trixi, long time no see!!! How are ya! By the way I LOVED those things. You can get them with wee pens now...much fun :) I got my niece a Barbie one last year for Christmas.

Hey there, Peewee :D
Aww, my niece turns 4 at christmas and she's got more Barbies than she can count yet so i thought this etch-a-sketch thing would be a cool prezzie. I LOVED it too as a child, hehe.

Btw. I watched your pronunciation video the other day..haha, what a fun to see (and hear) you boardies talk! ;)

Peewee
Peewee Posted Tue 02 Dec, 2008 10:37 AM Quote
Trixi wrote:
Peewee wrote:

Hey there, Peewee :D
Aww, my niece turns 4 at christmas and she's got more Barbies than she can count yet so i thought this etch-a-sketch thing would be a cool prezzie. I LOVED it too as a child, hehe.

Btw. I watched your pronunciation video the other day..haha, what a fun to see (and hear) you boardies talk! ;)

Awww that will be much fun for a little one :D
Heehee @ the vids....so are you going to do one for us? lol They are VERY funny...things we do for Travis and the boardies!

Darran
Darran Posted Tue 02 Dec, 2008 11:06 AM Quote
I think this is going be a present for one of my neices this year.

Saves me thinking.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 11:48 PM