Travis

Re: Happy birthday Hippoface!
TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 5:57 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
Most people in Canada speaks fluent French, right?

ha! no.

You have to take french in school for a certain amount of year (depending on where you are, etc it varies). For me it was from grade 4-9 and then it is optional after that. Quebec is a mostly French speaking province, although it's largest city, Montreal also has a large English population, English university, etc. New Brunswich also has a large French pop and there are French pockets throughout the country.
A quick search tells me that 17.7% of Canadians are E/F bilingual.

Oh how interesting! I've always thought that Canada is like France #2

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 6:01 PM Quote
nope. French is an official language, in that to work in the federal government you have to be bilingual, you have to take it in school, but certainly the whole country is not biligual. Most of us can mumble by though.
Drop me in the middle of France and i would manage to find food and a bathroom and a place to stay but i may not have any meaningful conversations about philosophy or art!

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 6:06 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
nope. French is an official language, in that to work in the federal government you have to be bilingual, you have to take it in school, but certainly the whole country is not biligual. Most of us can mumble by though.
Drop me in the middle of France and i would manage to find food and a bathroom and a place to stay but i may not have any meaningful conversations about philosophy or art!

Now we want a Kristy-video #2, mumbling french this time!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 6:19 PM Quote
they would be the saddest most basic sentences ever.

"Bonjour, j'mapelle Kristy. He habit dans Canada. Je jouer au hockey et adore le Senators d'Ottawa et le Canadiens de Montreal!" it's like im 8. Je mange le poutine!"
I dont even know if any of that was spelled correctly, grammatically correct of conjogated properly.

I will wear my tshirt of french fries saying "bonjour" and a taco saying "hola"

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 6:36 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
i may not have any meaningful conversations about philosophy or art!

learn to say blue and yellow together make green and you will be able to

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 6:44 PM Quote
:) Feliz Cumplis!

sonja
sonja Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 6:46 PM Quote
Happy birthday Kristy!

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 6:48 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

"Bonjour, j'mapelle Kristy. He habit dans Canada. Je jouer au hockey et adore le Senators d'Ottawa et le Canadiens de Montreal!" it's like im 8. Je mange le poutine!"
I dont even know if any of that was spelled correctly, grammatically correct of conjogated properly.

Haha I understood that: "Hello my name is Kristy and I live in Canada! I love hockey and my favourite teams are Ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadiens" ;) But hey "hola"? That's spanish ;)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 6:49 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

Haha I understood that: "Hello my name is Kristy and I live in Canada! I love hockey and my favourite teams are Ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadiens" ;) But hey "hola"? That's spanish ;)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 7:05 PM Quote
yes i know it is spanish, but the other half is french! lol

Okay, i will wear my "le roi de la zamboni" shirt...The King of the Zamboni, that i caught at a hockey game last year.
Or i have a uni sweatshirt that is binlingual. Is that better?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 7:14 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
minnmess wrote:

Oh and it is hello my name is Kristy and I live in Canada. I PLAY hockey and LOVE the ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadiens. I eat poutine."
you were almost there

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 7:57 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

I can't believe I understand all that! isn't it J'habite...?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 7:59 PM Quote
yup, should be j'habit. Typo.
Well, actually i was going to put je habit, so i was wrong either way, lol. But it shouldnt be HE. oops. my typing gets no better en Francais.

Still not my birthday...

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 8:03 PM Quote
oh, I was right! that's a proof that I'm learning some french in school after all.

edit: In Spain will be your birthday in 3 hours and few minutes.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 8:12 PM Quote
When I saw this thread I was like "no! Her birthday is on the 29th, like my bro's!" hehe. So I won't say happy birthday until the date is the right one :oP

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:17 AM