Travis

Re: How's the Weather?
fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 9:15 PM Quote
It's so cold! The ground stayed white with ice all day, and the car nearly skidded off the road when my dad drove me to the bus this morning! And the stupid teachers won't let us wear jackets, we have to wear the school fleece which is a horrible pink type colour which clashes with our wine uniform and size small is about three times to big for me! It wouldn't be so bad if it was snowing, cos snows pretty.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 10:23 AM Quote
It's 0 C again and it feels like the weather-guy is trying to produce some snow, but all that comes down is small semi-snowflakes... Come on now, make up your mind, let there be winter!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 4:34 PM Quote
It's 29ºF/-1.6ºC with light snow. Looks to be the same for the rest of the week.

But take heart, here's the weather at the North Pole:
-38ºF with a wind chill of -67ºF. Now THAT'S cold!!

**Just wondering, is there a temperature at which your body can no longer tell if it is any colder? After it gets to be well below freezing, can you really tell any difference if it is -10ºF or -20ºF? Once every moisture molecule in your body is frozen, does it really matter how much colder it gets?

mili
mili Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 5:20 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
It's 0 C again and it feels like the weather-guy is trying to produce some snow, but all that comes down is small semi-snowflakes... Come on now, make up your mind, let there be winter!

We're supposed to get some snow over the weekend. All the snow from The Great Snowstorm has vanished with rain, wind and a bit of sleet. It's so dark here! For those few hours the sun is theoretically up, you can't see it, as it's cloudy and wet.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 5:23 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
It's 29ºF/-1.6ºC with light snow. Looks to be the same for the rest of the week.

**Just wondering, is there a temperature at which your body can no longer tell if it is any colder? After it gets to be well below freezing, can you really tell any difference if it is -10ºF or -20ºF? Once every moisture molecule in your body is frozen, does it really matter how much colder it gets?

I dont know about technically, but when i lived in Ottawa, once it got to be about -15C, i really didnt care after than anymore. Ridiculously cold is ridiculously cold. Once you breathe in and the inside of you nose freezes and you immedietly cough because your lungs are so cold, it doesnt matter if it is -15 or -35, its just damn cold.

We have no snow and it was 6 degrees this morning. it does not feel like Christmas is coming.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 5:28 PM Quote
Here it's sunny I suppose (my office has a window but you can't see if it's day or night lol). And not too hot, luckily. Last week was hell.
The air conditioning is on, so I'm a bit cold.

I wish it was winter :o(

mili
mili Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 5:47 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I dont know about technically, but when i lived in Ottawa, once it got to be about -15C, i really didnt care after than anymore. Ridiculously cold is ridiculously cold. Once you breathe in and the inside of you nose freezes and you immedietly cough because your lungs are so cold, it doesnt matter if it is -15 or -35, its just damn cold.

We have no snow and it was 6 degrees this morning. it does not feel like Christmas is coming.

We get below -20 °C most Winters, and after that -15 °C feels pretty mild.

I remeber one year when it was below -30 °C for days, if not weeks. That was chilly, trains started to have trouble and cars had to be seriously pre-heated before starting the engine. Mind you, my dad plugs the car in as soon as it gets below freezing. I just invest in warm boots and woolly long johns, as I don't have a car.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 5:49 PM Quote
my first winter in Ottawa, it was -40 for 2 weeks straight. I thought I was going to die.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 5:54 PM Quote
i'm not wearing shoes

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 5:55 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
my first winter in Ottawa, it was -40 for 2 weeks straight. I thought I was going to die.

-40°C? I think I would die.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 5:57 PM Quote
-30, -40!? Whatta? All of a sudden Sweden appears to be Greece or something...

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 6:04 PM Quote
Ottawa: The 2nd coldest Capital in the world!

That was with the windchill, mind you.
The Rideau Canal normally freezes in late January or into February. That year it was frozen about the 2nd week of December.

The last 2 years they didnt think it was going to freeze enough to be open in time for Winterlude because it wasnt nearly that cold.
And now that Ive writen all that, Im thinking that none of that means anything to any of you people.

Rideau Canal: the largest skateway in the world
Winterlude: A big winter festival in Ottawa every weekend in February

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 6:05 PM Quote
mili wrote:
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

We get below -20 °C most Winters, and after that -15 °C feels pretty mild.

I remeber one year when it was below -30 °C for days, if not weeks. That was chilly, trains started to have trouble and cars had to be seriously pre-heated before starting the engine. Mind you, my dad plugs the car in as soon as it gets below freezing. I just invest in warm boots and woolly long johns, as I don't have a car.

Woe, that is seriously cold! Now the pre-heating the car before you turn the engine on is something I have never heard of. What is it that you are plugging in? Some sort of engine warmer? Tell us more!

mili
mili Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 6:07 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
-30, -40!? Whatta? All of a sudden Sweden appears to be Greece or something...

Well, you're in the south, aren't you?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 6:07 PM Quote
Do you not have block heaters in the D, Kayte?

I havent seen people use them here in years, but i remember as a kid our car always being plugged in. And apperently they still use them up North. Malls in Winnipeg have spots in the parking lot to plug into, I have been told

Oh and my Canal story reminded me of a pic of have of a friend visiting me in Ottawa and it was so cold on the canal that she has ice cubes on her eyelashes.

Pages Previous 1...4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:30 PM