Travis

Re: POLL: Favorite Albums of 2008
Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 3:06 PM Quote
Seldom Seen Kid by a million miles, and then some.

Haven't bought many albums this year, the only other notable one being Ode, which I also love - but I have to say the Elbow outclasses it.

Will post on this thread again in a couple of weeks, as I've today just splurged on - all online, so not in my sweaty paws yet:

Vampire Weekend
Belle And Sebastian Sessions
Duke Special - Never thought This Day Would Come

All of which do excite me muchly.

Monica
Monica Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 5:17 PM Quote
Coldplay: Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 7:02 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:

Haven't bought many albums this year, the only other notable one being Ode, which I also love - but I have to say the Elbow outclasses it.

Will post on this thread again in a couple of weeks, as I've today just splurged on - all online, so not in my sweaty paws yet:

Vampire Weekend

... so is this not your official vote?

Kristy
Kristy Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 8:34 PM Quote

I just realised that I haven't bought an album in the whole of 2008 :s

Re: POLL: 2008 in music
Moray
Moray Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:18 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Ra Ra Riot, Andrew Bird, Gogol Bordello, Shout Out Louds... yeah, gets me every time.

Being as you are my musical sage Lauren, I've just queued up all these artists for download, being as I've never heard of any of them.

Also pinched some of the other ones listed that i haven't heard of but am curious about. Good thread this one! I'm enjoying it!

Re: POLL: 2008 in music
ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:11 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
ElspethOllie wrote:
Ra Ra Riot, Andrew Bird, Gogol Bordello, Shout Out Louds... yeah, gets me every time.

Being as you are my musical sage Lauren, I've just queued up all these artists for download, being as I've never heard of any of them.

Also pinched some of the other ones listed that i haven't heard of but am curious about. Good thread this one! I'm enjoying it!

Awww, I am? Oh you...

Andrew Bird: He's so good! He's a self taught violinist. And he improvises a lot in his songs. One of my favorite songs ever is "Fake Palindromes." If you download any song from him it should be that one.

Ra Ra Riot: I'd talk to Dak about them. I just got into them recently. I think they're from Syracuse U. They have a cellist and a violinist. Suggested download: Oh, La

Gogol Bordello: Gypsy punks! The lead singer was recently in Madonna's directorial debut. I heard it was awful, but their music is still good! Suggested download: Start Wearing Purple

Shout Out Louds: Sweden is rocking it when it comes to indie rock! There are so many great acts coming out from there right now. Jose Gonzalez, I'm From Barcelona, Lykke Li, Robyn, Peter Bjorn & John... so good! Their album that came out last year, Our Ill Wills was really great. Suggested Download: Tonight I Have to Leave It.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 1:15 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Tonie wrote:

Vampire Weekend

... so is this not your official vote?

Didn't realise I had to be so formal. Ok, Elbow.

Can I change my mind if the others are better? Isn't this just meant to be a bit of fun?

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 1:19 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
Can I change my mind if the others are better? Isn't this just meant to be a bit of fun?

Errm no.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 1:22 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
Tonie wrote:

Errm no.

So will the poll police arrest me if I do change my mind?????

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 5:07 PM Quote
It's for class like I said. It's pretty confusing if you say one thing and then I have to go back and change your answer. And I'd appreciate it if you chose more then one album, if you can't do that, then have at least two or three

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 9:49 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
It's for class like I said.

And I'd appreciate it if you chose more then one album, if you can't do that, then have at least two or three

I've no idea what you mean about class. But it's a bit rich for my blood. I'll leave you to get a top 5 from people who take it more seriously than I do, and bow out gracefully rather than succumb to being bossed around in my free time. I'm quite capable of saying how many albums I like, and if it doesn't quite conform to your set of rules....what happened to fun?

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 11:58 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
ElspethOllie wrote:
It's for class like I said.

And I'd appreciate it if you chose more then one album, if you can't do that, then have at least two or three

I've no idea what you mean about class. But it's a bit rich for my blood. I'll leave you to get a top 5 from people who take it more seriously than I do, and bow out gracefully rather than succumb to being bossed around in my free time. I'm quite capable of saying how many albums I like, and if it doesn't quite conform to your set of rules....what happened to fun?

I mean class, as in school. That's why I need the information to be more organized.

If you don't have more then one album you like then you could have just said so. I suggested it because I'm trying to get as many different musical tastes as possible for the poll.

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Sun 23 Nov, 2008 5:24 AM Quote
Quote:
Ra Ra Riot: I'd talk to Dak about them. I just got into them recently. I think they're from Syracuse U. They have a cellist and a violinist. Suggested download: Oh, La

Ooo, The Entire Album is just Stellar! I will recommend them to the ends of the Earth! ;) (If you like Oh, La you will like the whole thing. Promise.) I'm particularly fond of Dying is Fine though, as it's the first song I ever heard by them. (I also love the cover of Kate Bush's "Suspended in Gaffa")

I can also wholeheartedly second the Andrew Bird and Shout Out Loud recs. Our Ill Wills was one of my favorite albums from last year. :)

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Mon 24 Nov, 2008 12:14 PM Quote
1. Viva La Vida- Coldplay
2. Dig Out Your Soul- Oasis
3. Intimacy- Bloc Party
4. Dear Science- TV on the Radio
5. Partie Traumatic-Black Kids

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Mon 24 Nov, 2008 5:25 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote: