Travis

Re: The Monarchy's relevance
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 17 Nov, 2008 11:56 AM Quote

Brief outline from Wiki...

The Republic of Ireland is a parliamentary representative democratic republic. While there are a number of important political parties in the state, the political landscape is dominated by Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael, historically opposed and competing entities, though both occupy the traditional centre ground. The state is a member of the European Union. Executive power is exercised by the government. Legislative power is vested in both the government and the Oireachtas, the bicameral national parliament, which consists of Dáil Éireann and Seanad Éireann. The judiciary is independent of the executive and the legislature.

The Irish Constitution (Bunreacht na hÉireann) falls broadly within the liberal democratic tradition. It establishes an independent state based on a system of representative democracy and guarantees certain fundamental rights, along with a popularly elected president, a separation of powers and judicial review. The constitution may only be amended by referendum.

Dubz

lilly
lilly Posted Mon 17 Nov, 2008 12:10 PM Quote
P.S.: about the Monarchy thing:

Bavaria (= funnily enough the basis of stereotypical images of "Germany") was a kingdom until 1918.

But there's no real "connection" left, apart from Bavaria being a "free land" inside Germany, and our tourism industry (castles!) and certain traditions (Oktoberfest) and one party that only exists here and has always been the most powerful party in the Bavarian Diet (it's a bit like the SNP) and another party that wants to re-introduce the bavarian kingdom...
(my GOD, I believe then our king would be Franz von Bayern [Duke of Bavaria], who's by the way the last catholic descendant of James II... *lol* if Labour managed to repeal the Act of Settlement, our very own Franz would get the chance to become King of England and Scotland*ROFL*)

Hanne
Hanne Posted Mon 17 Nov, 2008 12:18 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
P.S.: about the Monarchy thing:

Bavaria (= funnily enough the basis of stereotypical images of "Germany") was a kingdom until 1918.

But there's no real "connection" left, apart from Bavaria being a "free land" inside Germany, and our tourism industry (castles!) and certain traditions (Oktoberfest) and one party that only exists here and has always been the most powerful party in the Bavarian Diet (it's a bit like the SNP) and another party that wants to re-introduce the bavarian kingdom...
(my GOD, I believe then our king would be Franz von Bayern [Duke of Bavaria], who's by the way the last catholic descendant of James II... *lol* if Labour managed to repeal the Act of Settlement, our very own Franz would get the chance to become King of England and Scotland*ROFL*)

These monarchs are an international bunch. Although our current Queen Margrethe II is a direct descendant of the first king (Gorm the Old around 975 AD), she's all but Danish. She's got mostly German, Swedish and English blood in her veins. However, many monarchies in Europe have Danish blood in them as a Danish king in the 19th century married off his children so a variety of monarchies to such a degree that he was called Europe's father in law.

Joe
Joe Posted Mon 17 Nov, 2008 12:25 PM Quote
Yeah! Many of the people who believe that monarchies are outdated are also fervent supporters of the new European ideal, it's interesting to note that you don't get any more European than our Monarchs.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 17 Nov, 2008 12:31 PM Quote

The whole thing with the Monarchy being very "European" is because usually the easiest way to stop a war with a country was to amalgamate the Royals by marrying off daughters/sons to keep the peace. This very rarely worked as you well know families often squabble more than complete strangers.

Dubz

Joe
Joe Posted Mon 17 Nov, 2008 12:43 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

The whole thing with the Monarchy being very "European" is because usually the easiest way to stop a war with a country was to amalgamate the Royals by marrying off daughters/sons to keep the peace. This very rarely worked as you well know families often squabble more than complete strangers.

Dubz

Unlike politicians, of course. ;-)

Monarchs, at least, aren't subject to as much pressure to what is popular, whether it be the right thing for the country or not.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Mon 17 Nov, 2008 10:12 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
There was a good show on about Prince Charles this week, did anyone see it? I have to say I was impressed by the amount of work and commitment Charles puts into his charity work, with the Princes Trust etc. Without him having such a public figure, and such a draw with top businesses & public figures, a lot of the good work he does wouldn't get done. I'm kinda easing off on the monarchy. As long as they don't interfere too much and aren't too much of a money drain compared to what they bring in, then lets keep them. It gives the country a bit of prestige that I don't think you'd have otherwise

Now if only the cunts wouuld give us our crown back........

I saw it, before I did I kind of thought he was weird, and thought they should pass him over for William, after watching it though I think he's pretty intelligent and does a lot of good work, when he doesn't really have to, he could just as easily sit at home and go to parties. He could be a pretty good King especially in these environmentally aware times.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Mon 17 Nov, 2008 10:47 PM Quote
I think the Monarchy is relevant, but just not for the same reasons as it used to be (namely, ruling the country lol). It's probably the biggest tourist attraction the country has for a start. And then I think they do good for the country with the likes of the prince's trust and various other services and campaigns.

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 10:22 AM