Travis

Re: I've FINALLY got Ode To J. Smith!!!!! (Anne is my hero)
Aletways
Aletways Posted Sun 16 Nov, 2008 12:17 AM Quote
melissa wrote:
julie donde los compraste o lo mandaste pedir desde inglaterra???

porfis avisame por q no lo consigooo jajaja

besote

Se lo mandó una chica del foro que es de Estados Unidos, donde el disco ya salió. Acá todavía no salió, pero el otro día hablé con un flaquito de Universal y me dijo que va a salir acá el 27/11. Esperemos que sea así!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 16 Nov, 2008 12:25 AM Quote
That is the cutest teddy bear hug.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 16 Nov, 2008 5:48 AM Quote
SO happy for you, Juli!! :D

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sun 16 Nov, 2008 6:00 AM Quote
Thank youuuu!!! :oD
I have to write a paper for wednesday and all I can think of is Ode To J. Smith :oP

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Sun 16 Nov, 2008 10:33 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
That is the cutest teddy bear hug.

yes, and he's the biggest I've ever seen.

Monica
Monica Posted Sun 16 Nov, 2008 6:26 PM Quote
Juli, I'm so happy you finally got it! ;)

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Sun 16 Nov, 2008 10:15 PM Quote
Sooo happy for you, Ju! :oD. I'll be waiting for a fully review ;o), of course once you have handed in your paper on Wednesday :oP.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 17 Nov, 2008 11:33 PM Quote
Muchas gracias Bodi & Almond!!! :o)

I'll do an attempt of review after wednesday :oP

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 4:37 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
Muchas gracias Bodi & Almond!!! :o)

I'll do an attempt of review after wednesday :oP

Yes I am very curious too to hear more of your thoughts. But I know it takes a few listens before you can form actual words. At least that was how it was for me.

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 5:17 PM Quote
What a lovely thing to do Anne :-D
Boardies UNITE!!
Enjoy the album girls - it's a cracker!!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 5:29 AM Quote
Ok, I'm about to write my review, but first things first:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2067/anneismyhero3nm2.jpg

It's 2 am and I haven't been getting much sleep lately, that's why I look like a zombie... a pink zombie.

I can't write reviews, let alone in English. You'll notice my lack of vocabulary right away. I hope I can convey what I feel inspite of that. I fear it's going to be quite long, so I won't feel offended if no one reads it :o)

First, I want to say that I madly love the record as a whole. I think it might be Travis' best album so far, but I have to see if I still feel that once the novelty is over :oP. I feel each band member is at his very best, so musically it sounds beyond amazing. They have exceled themselves on this one! Especially Andy and Neil I think. The quality of the sound is perfect.
Each song is in the exact place it should be. There's not a song I skip.
The begining is perfect and I LOOOOVE the fact that the album ends with a question!!! Love it.

Chinese Blues: Amazing start for a record. Grabs your attention right away. Great piano melody. It's such a strong song, it's definitely one of my favourites. The lyrics are great, my favourite line: "you're designed to fall appart on the day the warranty ends". When I first heard it I thought Fran's voice was a bit muffled, but I don't feel that anymore, maybe I got used to it haha.
The ending is awesome both musically and lyrically.

J. Smith: I already knew this one, but I had stopped listening to J. Smith, Something Anything, Song To Self and Get Up months ago, so I wouldn't get tired of them before I got the album haha. It was great to listen to it again, I really missed it. It's fantastic. Mind blowing. The guitar and the drums are... wow. It's totally different from what Travis usually do, and it sounds perfect. Another favourite.

Something Anything: Another familiar tune. Amazing as well and a lovely reunion haha. I remember when I watched the YouTube video of this song from the february gigs it didn't have a huge effect on me, but when I heard the studio version I completely fell in love with it. Amazing guitar solo. I love Dougie's backing vocals.

Long Way Down: I love it, but not as much as the first three. I can see where the whole "The Importance Of Being Idle" thing comes from, but I personally wouldn't have thought of that myself. The begining reminds me more of Distraction (the b-side). I love how the "two tone town" line sounds. It's the song that reminds me most of Good Feeling.

Broken Mirror: Loooove it!!! Sounds very 12 Memories to me. It creates thick, dense atmosphere. Like Paperclips (I love that song). The guitar is brilliant.

Last Words: Another favourite (I don't know if you noticed, but practically every song is my favourite lol). I love the strings, the percussion (or whatever it is at the begining), the banjo. The first verse is beautiful. "Turning all your enemies to friends", I love that line too. Another amazing guitar solo!!!! It's a very poppy song, but the solo makes it become something else.

Quite Free: I totally understand why Ben loves this song so much haha. The melody is so beautiful! Fran's voice sounds lovely, I love the parts when he passes from falsetto to his natural voice (if that makes sense in English, I don't know the right words). I can't name exactly what it is about this song that I love... But it caught my attention right away.

Get Up: This was the only one of the 4 songs I had previously heard that I wasn't so sure about. It's too repetitive. But musically it sounds so great! The drumming, the bassline... I have mixed feelings about this song haha. And I think it makes more sense when you listen to it as a part of the album. It's one of the songs I like least on Ode.

Friends: Groovy! I love the guitar on this one (too). It's funny to see the difference between the studio version and Gerbil Sandwich's :oP.

Song To Self: The last one of the 4 I had heard before. I love it (I'm saying the same thing with all the songs, but I can't help it). It has so much power. This song must sound so amazing live!... I have to visit YouTube, I know :oP.

Before You Were Young: Everyone here mentioned they were crazy about this one, so I wasn't so sure if I'd like it much because everyone loved Used To Belong and I think it's one of the worst Travis songs ever. There's no reason why these two songs should be necessarily related, specially considering I had never heard BYWY and I didn't know what it sounded like, but somehow in my mind they were related *shrugs*
Anyway, it started and it didn't promise much for me, I find the lyrics a bit cheesy, tbh. And the "I love you, I love you, I love you" part is way too cheesy for me. I was about to give up on it, but then... the drums!!! Ahh, amazing. I turned the volume up as everyone recomended and it enhanced the experience, thank you all :oP.
So, mixed feelings about this song too. But I have to admit that when I first listened to it with my headphones on I got goosebumps... I didn't see that coming and I wasn't ready for that! Haha. So it's been growing on me ever since :o). I still think it's not one of the best songs on the album though.

Absolute favourites in no particular order: Chinese Blues, Quite Free, Last Words, J. Smith, Something Anything, Song To Self, Broken Mirror, Friends.

Amazing but not my favourite: Long Way Down.

Still don't know how I feel about: Get Up, Before You Were Young.

And that's it... If anyone is still reading: hello! :o)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 1:26 PM Quote
Hey. I agree with quite a bit of that. Nice read too. :) Especially Quite Free of course! ;) Glad you're enjoying it so much after such a long wait. :) After nearly 2 months I'm still loving it so I think it's my 3rd favourite Travis album, which is pretty good. :) Though I think BYWY is amazing (in my top 5) I don't think it's as good as some people think. :)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 2:55 PM Quote
Juli your review was great. Stop dogging on your English so much - it's very good.

And thank you for the sweet sign! It made me smile and my kids thought it was funny too to see my name.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 3:24 PM Quote
great review Juli!
Your sign is adorable.
Anne we should all make you signs so your kids know that you have an international fanclub. they can brag about it on the playground.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 3:58 PM Quote
Anne is my hero! Eight!

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:55 PM