Travis

New Haven
travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Tue 11 Nov, 2008 12:31 AM Quote
Hi everyone!

I wonder if anyone has an idea about the cost of living(not numerically,but sense of it:) ) in New Haven.

Mehmet

Re: New Haven
ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Tue 11 Nov, 2008 12:41 AM Quote
Will you be attending Yale?

Your best bet is the web. I'd go to CNN Money. They always profile the top 10 places to live in the US every year (I have a fondness for #9 this year), and then they have profiles on a lot of different cities. So start there.

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Tue 11 Nov, 2008 1:23 AM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:

Your best bet is the web. I'd go to CNN Money. They always profile the top 10 places to live in the US every year (I have a fondness for #9 this year), and then they have profiles on a lot of different cities. So start there.

Thanks for the link..Apparently New haven is not in the top 100 places to live in the US for 2008..Dunno what I have to derive from this tho:P..I don't know about US but here in Turkey,rents around the universities are very HIGH and even Burger King,Mcdonalds etc. add 1-2 dollars on their average menu prices..anyways.. :)

I'll most probably be attending Yale this summer to involve in a research project.I doubted at first because of the financial issues,there's no funding sport for the attendees so it'll be like every man for himself.But I think I'll take the offer :)

physke
physke Posted Tue 11 Nov, 2008 1:27 AM Quote
travisturkey wrote:
ElspethOllie wrote:

Thanks for the link..Apparently New haven is not in the top 100 places to live in the US for 2008..Dunno what I have to derive from this tho:P..I don't know about US but here in Turkey,rents around the universities are very HIGH and even Burger King,Mcdonalds etc. add 1-2 dollars on their average menu prices..anyways.. :)

I'll most probably be attending Yale this summer to involve in a research project.I doubted at first because of the financial issues,there's no funding sport for the attendees so it'll be like every man for himself.But I think I'll take the offer :)

Congrats Mehmet! What is the project about?

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Tue 11 Nov, 2008 1:30 AM Quote
physke wrote:
travisturkey wrote:
ElspethOllie wrote:

Congrats Mehmet! What is the project about?

Electrosprays..don't ask me, I have no idea either :P

A professor at Yale Mechanical Engineering Department called Juan Fernandez de la Mora is looking for some undergrads to work with,I applied and got an acceptance and if everything goes right,it'll be in Summer'09.

physke
physke Posted Tue 11 Nov, 2008 1:36 AM Quote
Elektrosprays...At least sounds cool! Hehehe, I am sure that it's cool on its own too:) I hope everything goes as planned! So what is the next step, did you apply for your visa?

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Tue 11 Nov, 2008 1:41 AM Quote
physke wrote:
Elektrosprays...At least sounds cool! Hehehe, I am sure that it's cool on its own too:) I hope everything goes as planned! So what is the next step, did you apply for your visa?

No,not yet.Because I'll already be studying in US next Spring in University of Washington(Seattle) as an exchange student.I'll probably get my visa in December and it'll be J1 as far as I'm concerned(which allows me to make internship right?).If I get an official letter from the professor up to that time,I'll probably add it to my documentation and ask for an extension for my visa.(because I've been told that they HARDLY give 1 month more from the time your uni finishes)

physke
physke Posted Tue 11 Nov, 2008 1:46 AM Quote
travisturkey wrote:
physke wrote:

No,not yet.Because I'll already be studying in US next Spring in University of Washington(Seattle) as an exchange student.I'll probably get my visa in December and it'll be J1 as far as I'm concerned(which allows me to make internship right?).If I get an official letter from the professor up to that time,I'll probably add it to my documentation and ask for an extension for my visa.(because I've been told that they HARDLY give 1 month more from the time your uni finishes)

Sounds correct! My visa is also ending one month after the school finishes. Do you have a chance to get F1 instead of J1 or is J1 only availability for exchange student?

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Tue 11 Nov, 2008 4:18 AM Quote
Did you do a city search for New Haven?

New Haven 2008 stats

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Tue 11 Nov, 2008 7:41 AM Quote
J1 sucks. I hate it, hate it, hate it. Try to get an F1 if possible at all. Generally they don't give it for "exchange' arrangements, but...does not hurt to ask. Are you going to Seattle as part of your university's agreement w Wash., or is it something through fulbright? if it is the latter, no chance it will be a J1 and it might cause problems in getting the visa for the summer work you arranged. Because with J1 you need to be back home for 2 years before you can apply for a different type of US visa. Make sure to check everything.

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Wed 12 Nov, 2008 11:18 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Did you do a city search for New Haven?

New Haven 2008 stats

Thanks a lot! :) Don't think it seems as a "cheap" city tho..

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Wed 12 Nov, 2008 11:22 PM Quote
sebnemy wrote:
J1 sucks. I hate it, hate it, hate it. Try to get an F1 if possible at all. Generally they don't give it for "exchange' arrangements, but...does not hurt to ask. Are you going to Seattle as part of your university's agreement w Wash., or is it something through fulbright? if it is the latter, no chance it will be a J1 and it might cause problems in getting the visa for the summer work you arranged. Because with J1 you need to be back home for 2 years before you can apply for a different type of US visa. Make sure to check everything.

It's a university agreement,but I'm gettin J1 anyway.As far as I'm concerned,the two-year-rule doesn't apply to this kind of agreements tho,at least this is what I've been told and has been the case with the other students. :)

Quote:
Sounds correct! My visa is also ending one month after the school finishes. Do you have a chance to get F1 instead of J1 or is J1 only availability for exchange student?

Well I think I'll get J1 anyway. I'll ask the professor at Yale to send me an official invitation letter in order to increase my chances of getting an F1.Hope this sort of works out.

physke
physke Posted Thu 13 Nov, 2008 12:38 AM Quote
travisturkey wrote:
sebnemy wrote:

It's a university agreement,but I'm gettin J1 anyway.As far as I'm concerned,the two-year-rule doesn't apply to this kind of agreements tho,at least this is what I've been told and has been the case with the other students. :)

Quote:

Well I think I'll get J1 anyway. I'll ask the professor at Yale to send me an official invitation letter in order to increase my chances of getting an F1.Hope this sort of works out.

I hope you can get a F1! J1 sounds cool, F1 works nice:)

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Thu 13 Nov, 2008 11:37 AM Quote
travisturkey wrote:

I held a J1 for seven and a half years. Believe me, I know the rules. You can get practical training permit after J1 but you can not change it to an F1. Maybe Yale professor can get you a J1, or arrange it a s a practical training as well? Good luck with everything.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 1:56 AM