Travis

Re: Last film you saw
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 26 Dec, 2008 11:04 PM Quote

Kings (an Irish language film)

Probably the most brutal film I have seen in a long long time. It really is heartbreaking in places deffo not a feel good or a festive film. I seriously recommend this film to everyone.(it is subtitled btw)

Synopsis probably explains it better than me...
In the mid 1970s a group of young men left the west of Ireland, bound for London, filled with ambition for a better life in a place where they could be kings. Thirty years have passed when they meet again. Their youngest friend, Jackie has died. For some of them those thirty years have been hard. Their muscle has been spent, their hopes dashed on the roads and building sites of Britain, to be replaced with a sense of hopeless disaffection. As the truth about Jackies death is uncovered, and long-held secrets are laid bare, the men discover that ultimately it is your friends who break your heart - and your friends who can save it.

This long-awaited tender film is a beautifully shot depiction of the isolation felt by long-term migrants who struggle to find a place to call home. KINGS is a story of a lost generation, rich in humanity and emotion, and with a heart-breaking resonance not just for the Irish, in todays changing world.

Dubz

kiwi
kiwi Posted Sat 27 Dec, 2008 1:15 AM Quote
Australia.

I got dragged along this afternoon. It was actually bloody good! The beginning is a bit dodgey but it gets really good. There's amazing scenery and even Nicole Kidman isn't too bad.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 27 Dec, 2008 1:21 AM Quote
kiwi wrote:
Australia.

I got dragged along this afternoon. It was actually bloody good! The beginning is a bit dodgey but it gets really good. There's amazing scenery and even Nicole Kidman isn't too bad.

Is it not all about the re-education, re-location and amalgamation of the aboriginies into a more civilized "British" society, btw. have you seen Rabbit Proof Fence ??

Dubz

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Sat 27 Dec, 2008 1:31 AM Quote
kiwi wrote:
Australia.

I can't wait to see that, I love Baz Luhrmann!

I just watched Indianna Jones 4, still not quite sure what to think about it. Before that i watched WallE, it's actually really good :)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 27 Dec, 2008 1:36 AM Quote
fenchurch wrote:
kiwi wrote:
Australia.

I just watched Indianna Jones 4, still not quite sure what to think about it. Before that i watched WallE, it's actually really good :)

I watched Indy 4 recently, and while it's quite crap it doesn't pretend to be anything else, I thought the one liners and the whole way it was filmed/written was perfect it was just the old Indiana films, come mon you gotta admit the minute you hear the music you can't help but smirk.

I have WallE or rather Dee has it but I haven't watched it yet.

Dubz

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Sat 27 Dec, 2008 1:40 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
fenchurch wrote:
kiwi wrote:
Australia.

I watched Indy 4 recently, and while it's quite crap it doesn't pretend to be anything else, I thought the one liners and the whole way it was filmed/written was perfect it was just the old Indiana films, come mon you gotta admit the minute you hear the music you can't help but smirk.

I have WallE or rather Dee has it but I haven't watched it yet.

Dubz

Exactly, once you watch it without expectations it's enjoyable.
You should so watch WallE, I thought it was gonna be crap but I love it.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 27 Dec, 2008 1:53 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Is it not all about the re-education, re-location and amalgamation of the aboriginies into a more civilized "British" society, btw. have you seen Rabbit Proof Fence ??

Dubz

It's about that but also a fish out of water story/cattle drive story/WW II love story.

I did like it but upon reflection I think it was too busy and there were too many issues being addressed.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 27 Dec, 2008 1:58 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

It's about that but also a fish out of water story/cattle drive story/WW II love story.

I did like it but upon reflection I think it was too busy and there were too many issues being addressed.

WWII ?? shit, is it spread over a long time, I didn't realize that the Brits were up to that sorta behaviour so recently. I really should research it a bit more.

Dubz

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 27 Dec, 2008 2:02 AM Quote
I think the story takes place over 2-3 years. Maybe even a bit less.

Yeah I had no idea about the "reeducation" stuff. But I know there are better movies to fully explore that.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 27 Dec, 2008 2:15 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
I think the story takes place over 2-3 years. Maybe even a bit less.

Yeah I had no idea about the "reeducation" stuff. But I know there are better movies to fully explore that.

Yeah, seriously Rabbit Proof Fence is amazing while it sorta deals with the issue it's more about human endeavour, Three young girls (14,10,8 years old) are taken from their families and basically shifted to the opposite end of Australia. In Australia there were no rabbits until someone introduced them the Aussies built a fence right across the country to keep them out. three girls escape but one is later captured the other two of the girls walk the 1600km back to their home.

Dubz

steeler62
steeler62 Posted Sat 27 Dec, 2008 2:47 AM Quote
I just saw curious case of benjamin button and i really enjoyed it. I can't wait to see the wrestler though.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Sat 27 Dec, 2008 2:49 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
kiwi wrote:
Australia.

Dubz

Uhmmm yeah that's a large part of it. Including the Japanese Bombing of Darwin and other stuff, you don't really get the feeling it's completely about the Stolen Generation it's not shoved down your throat, more about culture and Australian history. I haven't seen Rabbit Proof Fence yet.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 27 Dec, 2008 2:51 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

it wasn't focused , starts off heavy , then screwball comedy , then love story then action . it was ok for a matineee though

kiwi
kiwi Posted Sat 27 Dec, 2008 2:53 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
weirdmom wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

WWII ?? shit, is it spread over a long time, I didn't realize that the Brits were up to that sorta behaviour so recently. I really should research it a bit more.

Dubz

It was the Australian Government who enacted and carried out several successive policies attempting to whiten the aboriginal people, this film is set in 1939, the policy was stopped in 1973 (I think...) in the Northern Territories. It's not correct to say it's British really, though I'm sure the original idea sprung from British-style politics and people bought to Australia.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 27 Dec, 2008 3:06 AM Quote

'73 jaysus fuck that's the year I was born.

Dubz

Pages Previous 1...5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:19 AM