Travis

Fun with Travis at Gran Canaria
silvella
silvella Posted Fri 24 Oct, 2008 11:48 AM Quote
No… unfortunately, I didn’t see them there. But it was like they had been with me on holidays there! First of all, I’ve heard OTJS above the clouds on the flight. And that was awesome, to look down onto the white carpet of clouds and to hear these wonderful songs. Two days later, we were strolling at some shops, I went into a very, very little corner shop – and I stood rooted to the ground: I heard “Closer” in the background!!! So I smiled the rest of the day. On the beach (ignoring the millions of people there), I enjoyed the sun and had again Travis on my mp3 player. Fran sang at “Long Way Down”: I watch the seagull swooping… and I saw some seagulls in the sky! It was like a sign for me… like “We are always with you” or something like that. Weird!
Later, I went for a little walk along the dunes and wondered why some people looked a bit odd at me… and I realized that I wore my “Aaaaaaaaaaah Selfish Jean” shirt! Do you know this reaction on this shirt? That was funny! I think they wanted to see where the Aaaaaa… starts. (see avatar pic) Wasn’t that a good advertising for the guys, eh?
But the best was still to come! We went to the Hard Rock Café, a very nice one (I touched the bass of AC/DC!!!) to hear some live music from a cover band called Purple Haze. At some point the singer said: “Now we play a song of a great Scottish band…” He didn’t say the name and I hoped it would be Travis but considered which other Scottish “Hard Rock” band it could be… then they started singing… Why Does It Always Rain On Me!!! I pulled out my camera and aaaah, had to change the batteries first… and that’s now the results:

=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HAXiQNqmy4

It’s so good to know that even on this little Canary island, Travis is well known.
So, thank you Travis for being on holidays with me!!!

Re: Fun with Travis at Gran Canaria
sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Fri 24 Oct, 2008 2:43 PM Quote
silvella wrote:

Later, I went for a little walk along the dunes and wondered why some people looked a bit odd at me… and I realized that I wore my “Aaaaaaaaaaah Selfish Jean” shirt! Do you know this reaction on this shirt?

Yes, I know the reaction! I have the same shirt (a gift from close friends who know my love for Travis, Selfish Jean and Demetri Martin). Last September a security guard stopped me at the airport in the US, making me nervous being a foreigner and all. But all he wanted to do was to chat about my Selfish Jean shirt! With a big smile on his face kept questioning me are you Jean? No? Are you selfish? And no he did not know about the song:)

Monica
Monica Posted Fri 24 Oct, 2008 3:44 PM Quote
I'm very surprised you could hear Travis on a Spanish shop! That doesn't happen often :'(

irenesfor
irenesfor Posted Fri 24 Oct, 2008 11:25 PM Quote
You had a great luck!! ;)

Monica wrote:
I'm very surprised you could hear Travis on a Spanish shop! That doesn't happen often :'(

No, unfortunately not :(
But, the another day they were on the radio (los 40 principales) and the presented said something like this: "And they were The Travis, we missed them... and they return dirtier (??) from 12 Memories, Something Anything" I'm a bit confused about what she said O.o

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Sat 25 Oct, 2008 4:33 AM Quote
irenesfor wrote:
from 12 Memories, Something Anything" I'm a bit confused about what she said O.o

LOL!!!!!! XD

silvella
silvella Posted Sat 25 Oct, 2008 8:46 AM Quote
sebnemy wrote:
silvella wrote:

Later, I went for a little walk along the dunes and wondered why some people looked a bit odd at me… and I realized that I wore my “Aaaaaaaaaaah Selfish Jean” shirt! Do you know this reaction on this shirt?

Yes, I know the reaction! I have the same shirt (a gift from close friends who know my love for Travis, Selfish Jean and Demetri Martin). Last September a security guard stopped me at the airport in the US, making me nervous being a foreigner and all. But all he wanted to do was to chat about my Selfish Jean shirt! With a big smile on his face kept questioning me are you Jean? No? Are you selfish? And no he did not know about the song:)

Uah, Travis shirts cause high pulse!!! But thats a great story! My husband always says to me: "Oh you are wearing your Schellfisch shirt again!!" A Schellfisch is a white fish or haddock... So: Jean is a Schellfisch!!! *ggg*

Monica
Monica Posted Sat 25 Oct, 2008 6:24 PM Quote
irenesfor wrote:
Monica wrote:

But, the another day they were on the radio (los 40 principales) and the presented said something like this: "And they were The Travis, we missed them... and they return dirtier (??) from 12 Memories, Something Anything" I'm a bit confused about what she said O.o

People from Los 40 are stupid. That's all I have to say :)

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Sat 25 Oct, 2008 7:10 PM Quote
Monica wrote:
irenesfor wrote:
Monica wrote:

People from Los 40 are stupid. That's all I have to say :)

Agree. lol.

I've listened WDIAROM in Hipercor.

Monica
Monica Posted Sun 26 Oct, 2008 3:53 PM Quote
I haven't heard Travis in supermarkets or elsewhere for ages :(

lestafox
lestafox Posted Sun 26 Oct, 2008 8:25 PM Quote
silvella wrote:

Later, I went for a little walk along the dunes and wondered why some people looked a bit odd at me…

I had the same reaction only when i looked at the people on the beach after i had walked over the dunes, expecting to find paradise i walked straight into a nudist beach with some right oldies on it! you see this man i spotted from way of showing of a bush i though was a one of but it wasnt...Anyway, a question for the canaries on this site, why is every shop filled with some porographic material, (cig lighter, DVD, err...virtually everything!!) this was very shocking to me but more to my spanish mate when i asked him when i got back to england, hes from ale-cante (thinks thats how you say it)

o_unico
o_unico Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 2:20 AM Quote
You're very lucky man.
Last weekend, The bar(PUB) of my neighbor was playing Travis -side.
He has good musical tastes, most of the customers come for music. He just plays "Classics Songs" and despite our difference in generations I was pleased to know that we have similar tastes.

silvella
silvella Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 10:23 AM Quote
lestafox wrote:
silvella wrote:

Later, I went for a little walk along the dunes and wondered why some people looked a bit odd at me…

I had the same reaction only when i looked at the people on the beach after i had walked over the dunes, expecting to find paradise i walked straight into a nudist beach with some right oldies on it! you see this man i spotted from way of showing of a bush i though was a one of but it wasnt...Anyway, a question for the canaries on this site, why is every shop filled with some porographic material, (cig lighter, DVD, err...virtually everything!!) this was very shocking to me but more to my spanish mate when i asked him when i got back to england, hes from ale-cante (thinks thats how you say it)

LOL!! That was not the place in the dunes where I have been! But one part of the beach is officially accounted as a nudist beach. A german guy who lives there told us that the dunes are well known for his gay nightlife, too...

So, you've been at the Yumbo shopping center? ;o))) The ground floor is in the hands of the gays and drag queens... But you are right, the souvenirs are... remarkable!! Could you imagine how astonished my teenage daughter (raised in the country) was when she saw candles or bottle openers as *hem* phallus'??? In original size (or bigger)??? That really could be organized a bit more discreetly.
But in my opinion the canary people are very outspoken in this, very tolerant. And that's okay.

When have you been at GC? Did you like it?

lestafox
lestafox Posted Tue 28 Oct, 2008 11:00 PM Quote
silvella wrote:
lestafox wrote:
silvella wrote:

LOL!! That was not the place in the dunes where I have been! But one part of the beach is officially accounted as a nudist beach. A german guy who lives there told us that the dunes are well known for his gay nightlife, too...

So, you've been at the Yumbo shopping center? ;o))) The ground floor is in the hands of the gays and drag queens... But you are right, the souvenirs are... remarkable!! Could you imagine how astonished my teenage daughter (raised in the country) was when she saw candles or bottle openers as *hem* phallus'??? In original size (or bigger)??? That really could be organized a bit more discreetly.
But in my opinion the canary people are very outspoken in this, very tolerant. And that's okay.

I went in late May, you see one of my uni friends lives there so we went to meet him. I quite liked it in small doses but got sun burnt, thats never happened with my indian skin and ive been to hotter places! Another question, why is it called gran cannaries when theres not a cannnary in sight??!! Ok i lie, i saw one , we looked in amazement that we'd finally spotted on but our amazement turned into horror as he accidently ran it over as we cried watch out!

silvella
silvella Posted Wed 29 Oct, 2008 12:24 PM Quote
lestafox wrote:
silvella wrote:
lestafox wrote:
silvella wrote:

I went in late May, you see one of my uni friends lives there so we went to meet him. I quite liked it in small doses but got sun burnt, thats never happened with my indian skin and ive been to hotter places! Another question, why is it called gran cannaries when theres not a cannnary in sight??!! Ok i lie, i saw one , we looked in amazement that we'd finally spotted on but our amazement turned into horror as he accidently ran it over as we cried watch out!

Oh, poor lestafox and poor canary!!! *gg* Africa is not far, the Canary Islands are closer to the equator, and because of the wind you sometimes forget the sun... like me! In spite of using sun cream with factor 30, I was burnt, too... what do you think why I was wearing a t-shirt on the beach??? And the sun makes no difference between the skins, it burns all of them!!!
Gran Canary has its name from the latin word for dog = canis. The island once was populated by dogs (before people found it????). On Tenerife, I saw more little parrots. And they can be sooo loud!

lestafox
lestafox Posted Wed 29 Oct, 2008 1:20 PM Quote
My god! the island of dogs hey??!!! didnt know that one!
Look forward to bugging my mate about that one! That sun burn thing, i thought i didnt need no protection with my skin. The worst thing was i noticed after the first day how dark and red my friend looked and i said to him i think you better invest in some suncream, by the end of the day i had this brain wave and i suddenly realised the reason why he looked so dark was that i had sunglasses on! Yes, that was a thicko moment for me. Have you tried that safari yet? You see, i went on it and they showed us the symbol of the island, the first thing that crossed me and my mates mind was, without meaning to be rude, an errect penis ontop of a mountain??!!! You seen it yet?!

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 5:21 AM