Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU
Nell
Nell Posted Sat 10 Oct, 2009 11:23 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
Nora, my oh my, calm down. You've only just had the fight, right?

Because that last part sounds as if it was written by a sulking teenager :| Sorry, but... maybe you'll see what I mean when you read this in a week ;)

Anyway, almost every one of my university-friends has had these fights with their parents: they're worried. and they're probably a bit (or very) annoyed, too.

I mean, of COURSE you try to pass your exams, it's the one basic thing a student has to do, isn't it? so that's not "saving the world" ;P, it's your job as a student.

if your mother talked like this about you to your dad, then she was obviously angry, and pissed off, because, I suspect, SHE thinks YOU don't give a sh**, if you know what I mean.

I'm sure your parents love you very much. Try and talk to them once you've calmed down. They won't bite your head off - but I would refrain from using the words "this is so unfair!"... Talk to your mum about what she said. From what you told me about your family, they're nice people ;)

Actually we had this fight early in the morning - overheard the talk in the eveing. But it's been a subject now for ages - so no.
I'm not that emo-kinda-kid never was never will be. I'm well aware of what I can do, what I am doing, and what my plans are.

But it pisses me off, no matter how far the fight is in the past, and no matter what grades I get, that people take the right to judge.

This has been a subject for over a year now if not longer and i was not only talking about university - which is just the part that pissed me off today.

But never mind.

Nell
Nell Posted Sat 10 Oct, 2009 11:24 PM Quote
--

lilly
lilly Posted Sun 11 Oct, 2009 11:41 AM Quote
Nell wrote:

But it pisses me off, no matter how far the fight is in the past, and no matter what grades I get, that people take the right to judge.

This has been a subject for over a year now if not longer and i was not only talking about university - which is just the part that pissed me off today.

But never mind.

I didn't judge. I just said your text sounded a bit teenager-like, because you used expressions that are so... typical for sulking people, like "I could save the world etc" or "fuck them".

And if you meant that your parents take the right to judge: of course they do. They're your parents.

Of course I don't know what exactly happened in your family, but what I KNOW is: I would give EVERYTHING I own, plus several body parts, away if I could have fights like this with my parentS.
But I can't.

I'm sorry you have such a hard time at home. But talking calmly with people they love has never hurt anyone, I think. Imagine something happened to your parents today. You would regret your anger at them for the rest of your life...

mili
mili Posted Sun 11 Oct, 2009 2:00 PM Quote
Nora and Lilly,
I just had a nasty fight with my daughter yesterday, it's not that easy to be a parent, either. The girl was tired, hungry and fed up (I was all those, too) as our shoe shopping for her wasn't going too well, so she decided to attack me in the middle of a department store with just about everything that annoys her (home coming time, doesn't have enough freedom, clothes, money, has to study, etc, etc). Very bad timing and location for such a discussion, and embarrassing, too.
Teenagers…

Nell
Nell Posted Sun 11 Oct, 2009 4:30 PM Quote

Sorry but honestly said I felt or feel offended by that post.

With "fuck that" - if that's just teenager language, then excuse me! I was brought up that way from the English speaking part of my family but I'll tell my granpa (UK) that he and their family over there use teenager language.
This is rather a functiolect than sociolect and expresses my true anger at that time (which I still am).

With "save the world" I surley used a exaggeration metaphor to state the case. It was on purpose, by the way. Neither me nor Obama is able to "save the world". There's not even a definition for that phrase. A metaphor cos first they scold me about not studying enough for university. After I passed the exams - they were scolding about the fact that I could've gotton even better grades. Sorry, I'm perfectly happy with my B+!
That's the way you use metaphors. Or are you really believing that your Spanish profs are actual cannibals, and that they're going to eat you on Wednesday? So much about metaphors.

But what I wrote I really meant. What I wanted to share was a general disappointment in my family and not some stupid fight.
And no, just because we're related they do not have the right to be judgemental.
I do my work, I pass my exams, I live my life. They do not have the right to judge and tell me to do it even better. If I'd fail, they maybe would have, but so far I did everything I was expected to by university. I have my extracurriculum activities, I have my work. So far everything works out for me perfectly. So no, they do not get the right to tell me, what a dissappointment I am, just because I did not turn out exactly how they wanted me to!

Even if they'd die the next day, and I wouldn't see them again, what you implied - they do not get the right to tread my like shit.

All I wanted was to share my anger and my feelings at that point yesterday. Afterall that's why I opened this thread in the first place.

I've got no boyfriend so I'm a dissappointment for the family? I got no phd like the rest of them, so I'm a disappointment, again?

I don't have to be forgiving and understanding about everything just because I may never see them again. That's even more an argument to behave respectfully.

They should be the ones supporting me and encouraging my selfesteem, not destroying it.
After all I was there to save her, when my father freaked out. I jumped inbetween when he throwed bottles of wine at her. I called the police and took care of her - that's what I've always done - not judging about her staying with him!

So yes, when you told me, I was writing like a teenager, I felt very offended.
I'm not sulking around, listening to James Blunt now, gonna wear black cloths and drink myself half to death because of that.
But fuck yes (and yes, I use that word), I am bothered by this, I am very disappointed by her telling me that I'm a disappointment, and I don't think anyone's got the right to talk to me that way.

And this fight from yesterday, was just the peak of the whole argument which now is going on for over a year. No I'm not growing out of it.

mili
mili Posted Sun 11 Oct, 2009 7:55 PM Quote
Sorry, Nora, I never meant to compare my adolescence daughter and you, just to show a glimpse of the other side of the coin. I'm sorry you're having hard time with your parents, it's never fun. Hope it gets better soon!

I get accused of favoring the other sibling, which is not the case. Everyone is different and each child is effectively a child of a different family, as the circumstances vary on each one's time and age. The family and the situation for the individual child is not the same when the first born is 10 and when the second one is at the same age.

Nell
Nell Posted Sun 11 Oct, 2009 8:06 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Sorry, Nora, I never meant to compare my adolescence daughter and you, just to show a glimpse of the other side of the coin. I'm sorry you're having hard time with your parents, it's never fun. Hope it gets better soon!

I get accused of favoring the other sibling, which is not the case. Everyone is different and each child is effectively a child of a different family, as the circumstances vary on each one's time and age. The family and the situation for the individual child is not the same when the first born is 10 and when the second one is at the same age.

It's alright I wasn't refering to you. But thx very much.
I knooow these accusations. My sister and I pulled this when we were like 12 or 14..always quarreld bout that. It must be very unfair on your side - since you've got no chance to prove that you love'em both...Til they trust you. Well at least it turned out that way over here.

My mum had once a woman about to get her 9th child. She was in that cult, I believe it was called "The Norwegians" or something. Anyway. Each family ought to have 12 children. So that's why they kept on expanding their family. Not because they really wanted to.
And whilst my mum was taking care of her (She's a midwife) she told my mum that she loves all her children except one. The one she was talking about was only 4 years old -but a bit wilder than the other ones. My mum was very shocked by that statement and talked all night with that woman.
Well after giving birth she left so I don't know how that story ended - or if it did. But I felt sorry for that 4 year old...

I can't understand how a mother can lose the love for her own child...

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 13 Oct, 2009 2:37 AM Quote
I was in a art gallery when some visiting collecter started talking about the Detroit premire of the movie American Artifact . He was mentioning some woman who had gotten autographs on the movie poster ......that woman was turtleneck ..CHEA !

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 13 Oct, 2009 3:01 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
I was in a art gallery when some visiting collecter started talking about the Detroit premire of the movie American Artifact . He was mentioning some woman who had gotten autographs on the movie poster ......that woman was turtleneck ..CHEA !

Seriously?? Kayte is FAMOUS coast to coast!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 13 Oct, 2009 4:09 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

This excites me greatly.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Tue 13 Oct, 2009 6:22 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
ricv64 wrote:

This excites me greatly.

Awesome!

mili
mili Posted Tue 13 Oct, 2009 6:50 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

So, USA is a small country, after all!

It reminds me of those times when you're abroad and start talking to some local ppl, and when they hear you're from a certain country/city, they ask if you know some person they know from there. Occasionally you actually know the same person.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 13 Oct, 2009 2:19 PM Quote
That's funny. No wonder my ears were burning. Someone was talking about me.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 13 Oct, 2009 2:30 PM Quote
mili wrote:
So, USA is a small country, after all!

It reminds me of those times when you're abroad and start talking to some local ppl, and when they hear you're from a certain country/city, they ask if you know some person they know from there. Occasionally you actually know the same person.

When I was in New York last week, we saw someone with a Canadian sweatshirt on and my friend went "oh no! he looks familiar! maybe we really do know everyone in Canada!"

Just as long as your nose wasnt itchy, Kayte. Then you would have to kiss a fool.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 13 Oct, 2009 4:07 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
That's funny. No wonder my ears were burning. Someone was talking about me.

too bad merle wasn't filming you'da made the dvd extras

Pages Previous 1...97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 107 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:15 AM