Travis

Mexico - Questions about Travel in MX City and beyond!!
alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Wed 22 Oct, 2008 9:43 AM Quote
This thread is mostly addressed towards those actually living in Mexico, but is definitely not limited to them! I just wanted to ask a few questions about the current state of Mexico and ask for any advice/tips for someone traveling there for the first time! If you've got tips from previous experience, please feel free to illuminate upon them! Feel free to talk about the good and the bad! Thank you so much in advance =D

So in about 1-2 weeks, my boyfriend and his brother will be backpacking through Mexico to observe Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead).

Recently, we have been reading about how crime and violence have risen in the past months because the government is cracking down on drug traffickers. Basically, if I am correct the drug wars that have mostly been isolated at borders and near trade routes, are now spread out throughout much of Mexico. A friend of mine, whose family still lives in Mexico (I'm sorry I forgot which town--but they said it was one of the safest.) said that they refuse to leave the town because just outside of it, there can be seen men with machine guns walking the street.

>>Now, the last thing I want to come off sounding is racist and ignorant. I've been doing my best to read up on Mexico City. I know that certain places are of course more dangerous than others. Many articles say to stop worrying, and to simply treat it like you would treat New York City. However other articles warn about dangers that tourists never even thought of before they left on a trip. So I really want to put these questions out there and find some real answers from people who live there.

So basically...my boyfriend and his brother don't have much travel experience and neither speak Spanish. Furthermore, I've read countless legitimate articles about how certain taxis should be avoided because they may stop, unlock their doors, allow robbers to hold you at gunpoint, and then toss you in some random neighborhood (They say to take only sitios). Other articles say how the police force can be corrupt. Even other articles detail the dangers of walking alone or even appearing to have money. And my boyfriend and his brother aren't even CLOSE to being wealthy, but it seems to me that a lot of crimes happen randomly, so it doesn't really matter. It really seems like luck and chance have a lot to do with things unless you know how to manage living there on your own/were born there.

Also, again, I know that because the Mexican army is literally fighting drug lords/traffickers in the street, that many innocent civilians are fearing/upset that they are/will be hurt too. And with Dia De Los Muertos happening, I can't tell how rowdy/crazy young troublemakers may get. Even here, we have to have extra security around Halloween because people like to go out and have fun--sometimes by causing trouble.

So...I hope if you see this post and you have good advice and tips on how to go from place to place, and manage, post back! :D Again, I really tried just putting my true fears out there. I've traveled to Belize and Guatemala about 3 years ago, but I had a great time and never knew about any drug-related issues back then, and I think that it's only recently that crime is back on a rise.

Thanks again!

Re: Mexico - Questions about Travel in MX City and beyond!!
alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Thu 23 Oct, 2008 7:29 AM Quote
I'm sad that no one has responded =(
..Time to link this in Mexico threads and see what luck I have!

mario_healy
mario_healy Posted Thu 23 Oct, 2008 8:30 AM Quote
Honestly, i have never seen anyone with machine guns on the streets, apart from policemen and such.

Those things you said about the taxis are true but they dont happen that much really, at least not that im aware of. You should worry more about taxis charging you more than it is, even if mexican citizens take a taxi, the driver sometimes will act as he didnt know where the address is or how to get there, so instead of driving you straight to your destination they will drive around a little bit more. I wouldnt recommend you a taxi, not because its unsafe but i dont think its a good idea unless you make yourself clearly understood by the driver, it may get a little bit complicated. Maybe taking a map with them and pointing "take me here" will help.

Ive been just twice to Teotihuacan, its a couple of hours away from Mexico City. Going there early in the morning is the best option, as far as i remember, theres not much to see but the pyramids, some minutes aways from there it is a small city, i think its called San Juan Teotihuacan and lets say its the most civilized place close to the pyramids.

I'll say that Oaxaca is a little bit similar to what Belize and Guatemala are. Lately some political/social issues down there but i guess nothing to be afraid of. Ive just been once to Palenque and i don't remember anything haha. Campeche and Merida are safe places and so is Cancun, which surely will be the place where youll find less trouble to communicate with locals

Im guessing your boyfriend is going to visit the cemeteries at night cus thats when some families go there to visit the people theyve lost, put some flowers there, take some food, some candles and then leave the place. In those cases, the government puts extra security there but i will say that everything else around the city is as normal as it always is.

Some tips will be the basic ones, dont walk alone at night, avoid places with little street lightning, dont trust your belongings to anyone, avoid lonely places, and maybe acting as if you know where you are and where you are going haha, i think that why some people sometimes take advantage of tourists, but you know, good and bad people are everywhere, i will be bad luck if you get to meet the wrong people.

Theres no big reason to be afraid of visiting those places as far as you travel through the most common ones for tourists or at least those that are kind of crowded. You can take a look at the US embassy, i think they have a list of do's and dont's.

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Thu 23 Oct, 2008 9:07 AM Quote
Thank you Mario Healy!
You're such a big help, seriously =D

erikausagi
erikausagi Posted Fri 24 Oct, 2008 1:23 AM Quote
Hi alyrtle!!!

ok, some things that you heard its true... right now the goverment is fighting agains crime in Mexico, but there's an specific areas, and luckily, there arent in your route... so.. let me tell you a little about these cities Mexico City, Teotihuacan, Oaxaca, Palenque, Campeche, Merida, and Cancun.

Mexico City, my hometown, everybody think is a mess, but I think it's a beutiful city... are you planned something specific here?? I can help you with that if you want it. I work in the downtown, so that's my area and is really nice and safe, there's always police in there, well... if you're in the touristic zone...so, there is safe, just like always, try to dont get your camera in your chest because everybody knows you're tourist and some people can take advance of it...you know, I guess the basic rules are
don't walk alone at night in unknown, dark or lonely areas, try to never show your belongings, I mean wallet, cellphone, camera, try to dont use gold or some shinning things, try to get your backpack with you all the time, try to get always together and never act like if you're not where are you, if you're lost ask to someone in the newspaper or convenience store -of course in Spanish!- or try to get into the metro and ask to the security guards...

and about the taxis, try to get one of the sitios, you can ask which one will be good in your hotel, and even are a little more expensive than the usual one, are safe... and if you like to be compressed like tuna in a can, you can use the metro -subway!- its really cheaper and takes you to almost everywhere in the city!!

about food, try to never eat chili! or just a little, and try to dont eat outside, I mean, usually there's places on the street where you can eat cheaper... tacos, tortas, but if you're not used to eat them you'll get sick!! but... anyways, some places are dellicious!! so, for it, is at your own risk, at least the first days while you're getting resistance!! lol

Teotihuacan... its like 1 1/2 hr fm Mexico City, are you planned a visit guide or by yourself?? there is really beutiful but try to get comfortable shoes because you'll walk a lot there... like its a touristic area, there's a safe area, but try like always to be prudent...oh! there's a lot of people selling bargains there!!

Oaxaca... what can I say? its a beutiful city, it's smaller than Mexico City, there's more folklore there, I hope there's not any politic problem at this time if not you'll lose the downtown landscape... I went there like 5 years ago and I like it... if you speak spanish will be better because if in Mexico City a few percent of the population speak English, there will be less... I recommend eat in the market!! is really an experience!!

Palenque its very touristic too and even is the EZLN there's not a big problem, there's warmer than Oaxaca or Mexico City so, take a look about it...

I didn't been in Campeche before but my brother did it, so let me ask him ok??

Merida is b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l... I like it a lot... its a main city so, as in Mexico City, try to be careful where are you and your belongs... but there's very quiet... not like Mexico City, there try to go to Chichen Itza- obvious!-, Chibilzaltun -I cant remember how it is properly write, sounds like chee-beel-salt-tun -, Celestun and Valladolid, oh! and try to swim in one of the cenotes.... its a magical experience!!!

Cancun... what can I say about cancun?? its full of tourists!!! there everybody speaks English, so you wont have big deals there...

when are you arriving? because for see the day of dead there's specific towns where are the biggest celebrations... like Patzcuaro, Michoacan (like 4 hrs from Mexico City) or Mixquic Town in Mexico City but like 1 1/2 or 2 hrs away from the downtown...

anyways, enjoy your trip!!

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Fri 24 Oct, 2008 5:20 AM Quote
Well, Erika and Mario have gave you wonderful tips for your bf's trip, so there's so little for me to add. I can only remark some of the things they have said :o).

1. The best thing they (your bf and his brother) can do is to stay downtown, I mean where there's a lot of people they will be perfectly safe there :o). Cause I'll be honest the situation in Mexico actually looks a bit like you just have pictured, but there are also good people and places to go to, especially where they can be safety :o). I have lived in Mexico City for the last 21 years and nothing bad has happened to me, I haven't even been robbed. So as long as they stay at downtown or the touristic places they will be just fine :o).

2. In Mexico City I highly recommend the sitios, or a better and cheaper way to move all along the city is the subway. It takes you all over the city, and in some way is safe, anyhow they have to be careful (I think the rule here is to be careful always hehe).

3. If they can learn a little bit of Spanish in these 1 or 2 weeks before the trip would be great (at least for asking things or food, or something). But if they can't there are a lot of people who speak English, so I guess it won't be a big issue.

4. If they will be in Mexico City the 1st or 2nd November they can also go (besides Mixquic) to the Zócalo to see the "ofrendas" and some artistic things. Also, there is like a contest for the best ofrenda in the campus of the UNAM (The University of Mexico) and it gets very cool, especially at night. So, if they can go to any of this two places would be great :o).

5. As for the other places I think they are very touristic so you don't have anything to worry about. Just tell them to be extra-careful at Oaxaca, it's a beautiful place, but there have been some trouble. My suggestion is to stay downtown, and yup is very similar to Belize and Guatemala.

6. Food? Tell them to eat whatever they want, if you go to another country is to try everything there, right? They will probably get sick anyway, so is better if they try want they want... Well, that's what I think xD haha.

7. Finally tell them to mind their things and mind themselves... That's the rule around here ;o).

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Fri 24 Oct, 2008 11:40 AM Quote
erikausagi wrote:
Hi alyrtle!!!
just like always, try to dont get your camera in your chest because everybody knows you're tourist and some people can take advance of it

about food, try to never eat chili! or just a little, and try to dont eat outside, I mean, usually there's places on the street where you can eat cheaper... tacos, tortas, but if you're not used to eat them you'll get sick!! but... anyways, some places are dellicious!! so, for it, is at your own risk, at least the first days while you're getting resistance!! lol

Teotihuacan... its like 1 1/2 hr fm Mexico City, are you planned a visit guide or by yourself??

I didn't been in Campeche before but my brother did it, so let me ask him ok??

when are you arriving? because for see the day of dead there's specific towns where are the biggest celebrations... like Patzcuaro, Michoacan (like 4 hrs from Mexico City) or Mixquic Town in Mexico City but like 1 1/2 or 2 hrs away from the downtown...

anyways, enjoy your trip!!

Thank you so much! You're absolutely darling! :D

My boyfriend's brother wants to take a lot of photos though, which might be a slight problem? He wants to photograph the events because he actually hopes to become a professional photographer one day. He'll be using quite a large camera. Might that be a problem?

Haha, and I'm actually jealous of all the good food they get to eat. I want some serious authentic Mexican dishes right now!! I think we get pretty good quality "Mexican" dishes here in Southern California...but still!!

What is the difference between going to Teotihuacan on a tour or by yourself? I think they might join a group if there is one? I'm not sure and they're sleeping right now, hehe.

And thank you for asking your brother about Campeche!!

Do you know the specific dates for the Day of the Dead celebrations in each location? Is any one of those your favorite or you plan on going this year?

Sincerely..thank you again, so much!!

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Fri 24 Oct, 2008 11:57 AM Quote
To: bogusblue

Thank you also!! You guys are such sweetie-pies <33

I was going to "quote" your response but I think it'll be easier if I just respond using your number system!

1- They're around the same age as you! I found that interesting for some reason but I'm not sure why, haha. I'm glad to hear that simple safety and prudence can be good enough to keep a person safe for 21 years! I might as well get robbed before you do, haha. I hope they stay smart about whatever they do :P

2- I'll tell them all the suggestions about taking the subway!

3- And that they should really focus on speaking some Spanish to each other and me, if they can before they leave!

4- Thank you for the tips to the Zócalo and UNAM. I think they'll really appreciate those locations, actually. Something about a University setting... They might be able to relate back to their own experiences in University.

5- I'll definitely tell them to look over details about what's going on in Oaxaca. I had no idea there was anything? But clearly there is something? Maybe something that's not a big deal but still good to know about. Thanks for the heads-up, everyone!!

6- Hahah...Deliciousness vs diarrhea? I'm sure they can deal with a little bit of both :P haha

7- Thank you, thank you, thank you all you lovely boardies!!

Hehe if anyone else wants to contribute...feel free!! There is never such thing as too much information :D

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Sat 25 Oct, 2008 9:39 PM Quote
Hi there.
I hope you get fun in Mexico, which is a beautiful place( even for us)

First at all i think you are so scare about drugs and news about Mexico, take it easy. Mexico city is like NY, bigger i think.
Some pleaces are nice, somes are dangerous.
Mario, Bogusblue and Erike are right; But if I do not see much with these problems if you are with some guys.
If you want to see something about "dia de muertos", the offerings start as the Oct. 30. Visit "Zocalo downtown" and the CU UNAM, which is beautiful and is visited by many tourists. Do not WORRY by insecurity, there are many cops there. To travel into the city can use the subway, which costs about .15 USD, but one day does not reach you for visiting the whole city.
The food is delicious, and the downtown is cheap. There are many restaurants you can taste typical food. But do not eat much spicy and have to see the consequences in the bathroom xD
If you want to go to Teotihuacan, take your precautions. Perhaps traveling by bus, and when you do BE VERY CAREFUL. Try to do it in the morning to have enough time to visit everything.

Oaxaca is very nice, but it is very hot, and there is plenty of moisture.
Merida and Cancun are some beautiful cities. Very tourist and less crime than in the rest of the country, however, have referred to Cancun is a tourist area, and therefore it is very very expensive compared with Mexico City.

Maybe your Spanish is not very good, but with a dictionary or a book with basic phrases help you. Anything you need, I can help you on your journey, and send me an instant message =)

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Sun 26 Oct, 2008 1:14 AM Quote
Here's something about the UNAM and Ciudad Universitaria (University City how they called it in that page). And how can they get there :o). Also, there is a special bus for free that takes you almost for every place in CU, so there's another option to make a tour all over the place :o). I study in that uni so I can tell you that is very, very safe in there, there's security and as El Día de Muertos is going to be on a weekend I'm sure there will be a lot of families as well. So, no worries, alright? Here's the map of the routes of the bus I told you in CU. There where it says "Campus Central" is going to be the "Ofrendas" contest. In that map says something about the schedules, and since you can speak and understand Spanish I guess you can explain all that mess to you bf and his brother better than me hahaha.

A subway map. When they get to the Universidad station they can take the bus number 5 to get to the Campus Central, if they have to ask anything (if it's in Spanish would be better ;oP) I'm sure whoever will answer to them without a problem :o). Is very easy to get there, they just have to descend where it says Filosofía y Letras and walk a little bit, and that would be all :o).

About Oaxaca don't worry, some things happened a few years ago, but now everything is so much better, anyways they have to be careful.

I really hope they have a blast around here :o)

Oh yes, about the camera he just have to be very careful. I mean, while he's taking a pic would be a good idea if his brother can be observant and attentive to the people that is around them or to the things that are happening in that moment. But I think that is not a big issue to worry about :o).

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Sun 26 Oct, 2008 1:01 AM Quote
bogusblue wrote:
Here's something about the UNAM and Ciudad Universitaria (University City how they called it in that page). And how can they get there :o). Also, there is a special bus for free that takes you almost for every place in CU, so there's another option to make a tour all over the place :o). I study in that uni so I can tell you that is very, very safe in there, there's security and as El Día de Muertos is going to be on a weekend I'm sure there will be a lot of families as well. So, no worries, alright? Here's the map of the routes of the bus I told you in CU. There where it says "Campus Central" is going to be the "Ofrendas" contest. In that map says something about the schedules, and since you can speak and understand Spanish I guess you can explain all that mess to you bf and his brother better than me hahaha.

A subway map. When they get to the Universidad station they can take the bus number 5 to get to the Campus Central, if they have to ask anything (if it's in Spanish would be better ;oP) I'm sure whoever will answer to them without a problem :o). Is very easy to get there, they just have to descend where it says Filosofía y Letras and walk a little bit, and that would be all :o).

About Oaxaca don't worry, some things happened a few years ago, but now everything is so much better, anyways they have to be careful.

I really hope they have a blast around here :o)

Oh yes, about the camera he just have to be very careful. I mean, while he's taking a pic would be a good idea if his brother can be observant and attentive to the people that is around them or to the things that are happening in that moment. But I think that is not a big issue to worry about :o).

Nice, but all UNAM is not Mexico City ¬¬

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Sun 26 Oct, 2008 1:48 AM Quote
RaZzZ wrote:

Nice, but all UNAM is not Mexico City ¬¬

Uh, I know! But if they are going to be at Mexico City to observe El Día de Muertos, I think the Zócalo and the UNAM are good places to go since there are very cool ofrendas and artistic stuff, you know?

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Sun 26 Oct, 2008 8:21 AM Quote
You guys are amazing! I <3 you guys!

I'm sorry I sounded so worried in my original post. I was definitely very frantic when I wrote it. But now I feel a lot more secure and excited about the whole thing :) Much thanks to you guys who make me super happy when I read your posts. I hope they have tons of fun, too :D

Thank you RaZzZ for offering to let me contact you through your sn! If more questions pop up, I'll give you a message :D but I don't want to bother too much :)

Again, thank you all so much! I don't know what else I could possibly ask for or about. I'm really touched that you all have taken the time and energy to respond to me with very good information. Thank you, Bogusblue for the great links!

I hope we can continue to keep each other updated throughout the duration of their trip :) <33

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Sun 26 Oct, 2008 10:20 AM Quote
I just wanted to share some pictures of me, the boyfriend, and his brother!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/buttbuddy/UCIShocktoberfest08001.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/buttbuddy/Summer08BeachBonfire001.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/buttbuddy/Image033.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/buttbuddy/UCIGraduation08015.jpg

Monica
Monica Posted Sun 26 Oct, 2008 3:59 PM Quote
Cool pics ;)

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:09 PM