Friends
J.Smith
Something Anything
Long Way Down

Get Up.

Re: Travis Ode Best Song
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 7:41 PM Quote
Haha. :) We have a very similar opinion. I would put them in 3 groups like that too. :)

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 9:53 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Haha. :) We have a very similar opinion. I would put them in 3 groups like that too. :)

hah, it's me being completely unoriginal - I saw your post, thought 'yup, that's pretty much what I think', switched a few around and shamelessly nicked the big gaps. Hey, presto. :D

A bit undecided where to put Friends - great tune, lyrics that veer far too close to being absolute cringeworthy cheddar cheese. Yikes, sorry Fran.

The big gap between the tracks is also the reason Ode will never be a classic Travis album for me - just one that includes 5 or 6 classic songs.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:13 PM Quote
This would be my 3 groups.

Future Travis classics and amazing songs:

Quite Free
Chinese Blues
Song To Self
Before You Were Young
Last Words
Broken Mirror

Good songs:

J Smith
Something Anything
Long Way Down
Friends

Should have been a b-side:

Get Up

:)

But i do love the album over all, it is one of my favourites of the year. Either this or Viva La Vida, for me.

healyramirez
healyramirez Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:35 PM Quote

itunes:

01 Before You Were Young
02 Something Anything
03 Song To Self
04 Chinese Blues
05 J Smith
06 Friends
07 Last Words
08 Long Way Down
09 Quite Free
10 Get Up
11 Broken Mirror

healyramirez
healyramirez Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:45 PM Quote

itunes 2:

01 Before You Were Young
02 Song To Self
03 Something Anything
04 J Smith
05 Chinese Blues
06 Friends
07 Last Words
08 Long Way Down
09 Broken Mirror
10 Quite Free
11 Get Up

RUTHIEBABE00
RUTHIEBABE00 Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:46 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
This would be my 3 groups.

Future Travis classics and amazing songs:

Quite Free
Chinese Blues
Song To Self
Before You Were Young
Last Words
Broken Mirror

Good songs:

J Smith
Something Anything
Long Way Down
Friends

Should have been a b-side:

Get Up

:)

But i do love the album over all, it is one of my favourites of the year. Either this or Viva La Vida, for me.

For the first time have to disagree with you Ben ;o) Get-up has to be on the album... if it was a b-side or not on Ode the sense of the story would be lost wouldn't it?? Xx

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:51 PM Quote
RUTHIEBABE00 wrote:
For the first time have to disagree with you Ben ;o) Get-up has to be on the album... if it was a b-side or not on Ode the sense of the story would be lost wouldn't it?? Xx

Maybe. But it is the only song on the album i'm not keen on. It's ok as a song but the album just stumbles slightly when it comes on. After songs such as Broken Mirror, Last Words and Quite Free... it somehow doesn't seem good enough. Maybe it wouldn't mean anything to the 'story' but Used To Belong would follow Broken Mirror wonderfully. :)

RUTHIEBABE00
RUTHIEBABE00 Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:19 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
RUTHIEBABE00 wrote:

Maybe. But it is the only song on the album i'm not keen on. It's ok as a song but the album just stumbles slightly when it comes on. After songs such as Broken Mirror, Last Words and Quite Free... it somehow doesn't seem good enough. Maybe it wouldn't mean anything to the 'story' but Used To Belong would follow Broken Mirror wonderfully. :)

Hopefully it will grow on you Xx ;o)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:21 PM Quote
I've known it since February. I've known the album version since June. It won't grow on me now.

RUTHIEBABE00
RUTHIEBABE00 Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:25 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I've known it since February. I've known the album version since June. It won't grow on me now.

How did you get to hear it so early out of interest??? I suppose it won't now if you've been listening to it for so long. :o( Nevermind plenty more fab stuff on there ;o)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:27 PM Quote
RUTHIEBABE00 wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

How did you get to hear it so early out of interest??? I suppose it won't now if you've been listening to it for so long. :o( Nevermind plenty more fab stuff on there ;o)

The J Smith EP came out in June and i have had audio of Get Up live since mid-February. :) I've never been a massive fan but hoped that it would be loud and thrashy and rough but it isn't really like that.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:28 PM Quote
Ahh! I completely disagree with you guys about "Get Up" -- I love it!!! I really don't get what you don't like about it. I mean, I like "Broken Mirror," but I could understand why people wouldn't...ya know? It's one of those songs you either love or hate, sort of like "Paperclips." But "Get Up"??? Come on! It's so catchy!! It's a really good rock out song and reminds me of a cross between "Eyes Wide Open" and a Beatles tune. I love the beginning when the drums and guitar come in. It's awesome!

Anyway...if I had to group them I'd say...

Classics:

Chinese Blues
Before You Were Young
Long Way Down
Last Words
Song To Self
Something Anything
Get Up

Good Songs:

Quite Free
Friends
Broken Mirror
J. Smith

RUTHIEBABE00
RUTHIEBABE00 Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:31 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
RUTHIEBABE00 wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

The J Smith EP came out in June and i have had audio of Get Up live since mid-February. :) I've never been a massive fan but hoped that it would be loud and thrashy and rough but it isn't really like that.

Off course, sorry!! I'm not into collecting the EP's no longer have a player! I'm listening to it just now... I love it.... I think the opposite.. it's weird how we can feel different things from it! It does stand out on the album definately but I do think it's earnt a place there.

Nell
Nell Posted Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:31 PM Quote

That's my fav. order ;)
I first was very sceptical about this new "tone"..but I love this album - hearing all the time while working...Good thing: I can choose the order of the songs playing: That's what I chose:

01 Chinese Blues
02 Before You Were Young
03 Long Way Down (not quite sure..maybe even 2nd)
04 Something Anything
05 J Smith
06 Song To Self
07 Friends
08 Last Words
09 Broken Mirror
10 Quite Free
11 Get Up

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:09 PM