Travis

Re: Happy Thanksgiving...
deebee
deebee Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 5:48 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:
Happy Thanksgiving Kristy and all our other friends in Canadianland! :) Enjoy the feast!

deebee...yeah, the US celebrates Thanksgiving in November...always the last Thursday of the month.

Aaaah that's what I thought. Seemed to me like it was nearer Christmas. Why is it always the last Thursday? Any particular reason?

Meridith
Meridith Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 5:51 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
Meridith wrote:
Happy Thanksgiving Kristy and all our other friends in Canadianland! :) Enjoy the feast!

deebee...yeah, the US celebrates Thanksgiving in November...always the last Thursday of the month.

Aaaah that's what I thought. Seemed to me like it was nearer Christmas. Why is it always the last Thursday? Any particular reason?

You know...I have no idea??? lol!

deebee
deebee Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 6:45 PM Quote
Haha that's often the way with these so-called "traditions"!

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 6:48 PM Quote
hi Kristy,happy thanksgiving to you and yours:-)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:45 PM Quote
oooooh. full of turkey.

alexandria_z
alexandria_z Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 7:00 AM Quote
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Sorry I'm a little late, but better late than never! I didn't like the weather this year it was too warm, my family actually had dinner outside. Madness I tell you! I need my autumn holidays to be a bit chilly. :P

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:36 AM Quote
deebee wrote:

from what they tell us at uni:

a) Lincoln set the date in 1863, and picked the "last Thursday of November".

b) F.D. Roosevelt tried to change it for economical reasons, but failed.

Damn it, I should know more, but I'd have to consult Wikipedia for that ;)...

BTW: I'd love to know why Americans (and Canadians, apparently?) eat Turkey for Thanksgiving? Any particular reason for that?

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:44 AM Quote
Was it Lincoln then who fancied turkey at the time?

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:50 AM Quote
deebee wrote:
Was it Lincoln then who fancied turkey at the time?

that'd be a great explanation!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 1:15 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
deebee wrote:

BTW: I'd love to know why Americans (and Canadians, apparently?) eat Turkey for Thanksgiving? Any particular reason for that?

did Roosevelt try to change it to the 2nd monday of October to be like his lovely neighbours to the north?

Umm, turkey...readily avaliable during the pioneer times? those wild turkeys running around...

alexandria_z
alexandria_z Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 3:45 PM Quote
lilly wrote:

Because it tastes good?

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 3:52 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
lilly wrote:
deebee wrote:

did Roosevelt try to change it to the 2nd monday of October to be like his lovely neighbours to the north?

Umm, turkey...readily avaliable during the pioneer times? those wild turkeys running around...

Wild Turkeys, hmhmhm.

I think Roosevelt wanted to change it to some earlier date to extend the "Christmas-Shopping"-period.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 3:54 PM Quote
When we went to the Plimoth Plantation in Massachusettes, they told us it was much more likely that they had sea food at the first Thanksgiving, most likely EELS. Blahhhhhh (no offense to Moray). One of the grossest things I have ever seen was watching someone skin an eel.

This is a pretty good article. What we think of as traditional Thanksgiving food is about 200 years old, and not what they would have eaten at the first Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving Food

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 4:02 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
When we went to the Plimoth Plantation in Massachusettes, they told us it was much more likely that they had sea food at the first Thanksgiving, most likely EELS. Blahhhhhh (no offense to Moray). One of the grossest things I have ever seen was watching someone skin an eel.

Now im picturing Moray on a platter, on a table with an apple in his mouth, surrounded by pilgrims and Native people. Coming together to enjoy the bounty of the Moray. Juli...i think this is your new photoshop project.

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 4:12 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

This is a pretty good article. What we think of as traditional Thanksgiving food is about 200 years old, and not what they would have eaten at the first Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving Food

EELS?
but it makes sense, they had to eat what mother nature offered, right...
I was watching one of those cooking-shows the other day and suddenly the stupid woman took out an eel and starts skinning it *shudders*

thanks for the link, am going to read the article right away :)

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:27 AM