Travis

Travis on SkyNews
mili
mili Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 9:14 AM Quote
Quite a postive one this time:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbiz-News/Travis-New-Album-Scottish-Band-Go-Lo-Tech-For-Ode-To-J-Smith-Album/Article/200810215117953?lpos=Showbiz_News_First_Media_Article_Teaser_Region__0&lid=ARTICLE_15117953_Travis_New_Album%3A_Scottish_Band_Go_Lo-Tech_For_Ode_To_J._Smith_Album

"New Sound For New Travis Album

4:37am UK, Sunday October 12, 2008
Matt Smith, Entertainment correspondent
To a lot of people Travis are a band who make gentle music, the kind of thing you'd put on while having a middle class dinner party.
But that was then - now things are getting a bit grittier.
Back with a new album called 'Ode To J. Smith' and a new sound, it marks a different approach for the Scottish four-piece.

After an experience recording 1960s-style with former Beatles producer Geoff Emerick last year for a special project to remake The Beatles seminal album Sgt Pepper, the band decided to ditch hi-tech computers and make their new album using lo-tech magnetic tape.
The band got hold of an old 16-track tape machine from the world famous Abbey Road studios and recorded the whole album using only that.
The result is a stripped down, rockier sound, as showcased on new single 'Something Anything'.
Frontman Fran Healy told Sky News about how the new approach made the band work in a much more focussed way: "We put all the concentration on writing and arrangements, so then when you record it, it's pretty straightforward, it's pretty simple. You make it sound like a record as you're doing it."
Travis are now on their own record label, after an amicable end to their former contract with Independiente.

Guitarist Andy Dunlop said being signed to a record label often means "there are all these people standing over your backs saying, what's that?" which he said "puts you off and makes you self-conscious".
But now they're in control of their own finances and direction: "That's the way you start in a band, just the four of you in a room together making all the decisions yourselves. What's really nice about it is there's nobody behind you, it was just us," he added.
And free from record company control, they're now able to speak freely about issues like piracy and be honest about the the so-called theft of music.
Fran thinks a lot of record companies cry-wolf about music pirates.
He says rather than killing music, piracy often helps to sell it: "Those people are actually searching for your songs, you just don't go 'click' and it's done, you've got to search for hours to find all the tracks.
"So that's someone who's a massive fan of the band who maybe can't afford the album and if they get it and it's a really good record, they'll tell all their mates it cost like 69 pence a record, I think, so you're paying them 69 pence to do the biggest promotion of all which is word of mouth."
The band's now heading off on a European tour to promote the new album.
A record some critics are already saying could be the best they've ever made."

Re: Travis on SkyNews
Tonie
Tonie Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 5:45 PM Quote
mili wrote:

To a lot of people Travis are a band who make gentle music, the kind of thing you'd put on while having a middle class dinner party.
Back with a new album called 'Ode To J. Smith' and a new sound, it marks a different approach for the Scottish four-piece

How many people would play 12 Memories at a dinner party, (regardless of class) or Good Feeling for that matter? Mmmm let's play Peace the Fuck Out over the chicken and U16 Girls over pudding. Come on.....

It might be a positive review, but he doesn't know squat!

This guy hasn't done his homework. The fool.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 5:54 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
How many people would play 12 Memories at a dinner party, (regardless of class) or Good Feeling for that matter? Mmmm let's play Peace the Fuck Out over the chicken and U16 Girls over pudding. Come on.....

that would be a good idea for when you first meet the inlaws!

mili
mili Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 5:57 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
mili wrote:

Back with a new album called 'Ode To J. Smith' and a new sound, it marks a different approach for the Scottish four-piece

I suppose he only knows The Man Who and possibly TIB, which are sort of calmer and dinner party friendly, if one must put it that way. I'd like to be at a dinner party with Travis as background music!

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 6:04 PM Quote
The point I'm making is that the angle of the story is that Travis have gone from soft and gentle dinner party muzak to gritty and edgy rockers. But it's just not true. Lack of research, and it's flawed.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 6:06 PM Quote
The point I'm making is that the angle of the story is that Travis have gone from soft and gentle dinner party muzak to gritty and edgy rockers. But it's just not true. Lack of research, and it's flawed.

akanksha
akanksha Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 6:07 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
mili wrote:

Exactly!
It's irritating when reviews go on about how gentle they "were" and now "they've found a new sound!" What the hell.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 6:10 PM Quote
Edit: I thought I'd only posted once, but you seem to have 4 variations of the same comment! Apologies!

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 6:11 PM Quote
The point I'm making is that the angle of the story is that Travis have allegedly gone from being providers of soft and gentle dinner party muzak to gritty and edgy rockers. But it's just not true. The lack of research means it's flawed. Makes the journalist a fool, and he's misinforming his readers.

Gets on my nerves that sort of thing. Lazy journalism.

nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 6:49 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
The point I'm making is that the angle of the story is that Travis have allegedly gone from being providers of soft and gentle dinner party muzak to gritty and edgy rockers. But it's just not true. The lack of research means it's flawed. Makes the journalist a fool, and he's misinforming his readers.

Gets on my nerves that sort of thing. Lazy journalism.

Completely agree.....talking out of his arse. Dumb fuck.

Craig
Craig Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 6:56 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Quite a postive one this time:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbiz-News/Travis-New-Album-Scottish-Band-Go-Lo-Tech-For-Ode-To-J-Smith-Album/Article/200810215117953?lpos=Showbiz_News_First_Media_Article_Teaser_Region__0&lid=ARTICLE_15117953_Travis_New_Album%3A_Scottish_Band_Go_Lo-Tech_For_Ode_To_J._Smith_Album

"New Sound For New Travis Album

4:37am UK, Sunday October 12, 2008
Matt Smith, Entertainment correspondent
Back with a new album called 'Ode To J. Smith' and a new sound, it marks a different approach for the Scottish four-piece.

After an experience recording 1960s-style with former Beatles producer Geoff Emerick last year for a special project to remake The Beatles seminal album Sgt Pepper, the band decided to ditch hi-tech computers and make their new album using lo-tech magnetic tape.
The band got hold of an old 16-track tape machine from the world famous Abbey Road studios and recorded the whole album using only that.
The result is a stripped down, rockier sound, as showcased on new single 'Something Anything'.
Frontman Fran Healy told Sky News about how the new approach made the band work in a much more focussed way: "We put all the concentration on writing and arrangements, so then when you record it, it's pretty straightforward, it's pretty simple. You make it sound like a record as you're doing it."
Travis are now on their own record label, after an amicable end to their former contract with Independiente.

Guitarist Andy Dunlop said being signed to a record label often means "there are all these people standing over your backs saying, what's that?" which he said "puts you off and makes you self-conscious".
But now they're in control of their own finances and direction: "That's the way you start in a band, just the four of you in a room together making all the decisions yourselves. What's really nice about it is there's nobody behind you, it was just us," he added.
And free from record company control, they're now able to speak freely about issues like piracy and be honest about the the so-called theft of music.
Fran thinks a lot of record companies cry-wolf about music pirates.
He says rather than killing music, piracy often helps to sell it: "Those people are actually searching for your songs, you just don't go 'click' and it's done, you've got to search for hours to find all the tracks.
"So that's someone who's a massive fan of the band who maybe can't afford the album and if they get it and it's a really good record, they'll tell all their mates it cost like 69 pence a record, I think, so you're paying them 69 pence to do the biggest promotion of all which is word of mouth."
The band's now heading off on a European tour to promote the new album.
A record some critics are already saying could be the best they've ever made."

lol middle class dinner party

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 7:00 PM Quote
People moan when Travis get bad press and then they moan when Travis get good press...

and anyway, he says "to a lot of people Travis are a band who make gentle music, the kind of thing you'd put on while having a middle class dinner party" which is true. To a lot of people that is how they think of Travis.

nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 8:09 PM Quote
Yes fair point, maybe I was being slightly harsh by calling the Journalist a dumb fuck!!!! Not in the best of moods today.

I suppose it's true what they say. Any publicity is good publicity!!

x

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 9:05 PM Quote
^^^^ Whilst completely omitting to mention that the band's back catalogue does contain more than its fair share of rock.

Edit: ^^^^ was a reference to Benfilbert's post!

ps. I don't ever complain about reviews. This is purely a comment on the journalist, who I maintain hasn't done his research.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 9:21 PM Quote
We're being a bit harsh, he's written a good review and to be fair a lot of people do think that Travis are dull, and he described it as 'gentle', which is nice.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 8:28 AM