Travis

Carrying on the religous/faith/thingie debate....
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 12:49 PM Quote
Everything Happens For A Reason

was watching a repeat (rerun for our yankie friends) of Scrubs the other night and listening to Half Man Half Biscuit's God Gave Us Life this morning got me thinking...

They're are people who believe that everything in this world happens for a reason, some people say it's God's will, others say it's Karma, others Fate, others just believe it's the natural balance of the universe sorting itself out.

Wars, Famine, Disease, etc., etc. Or maybe people make their own "luck", like to lose a job/love/friend only to find better. Or is it just the human mind explaining the randomness of the world ??

I was just wondering what other people's views on this were....??

I'm doing the asking so it's only fair I let you know mine first. I don't believe in any "higher power" making these things happen (or not happen for that matter) but I do sorta hope there is a balance.

Dubz

God Gave Us Life
What did God give us, Neil?
God gave us life, Nigel
Sure did.

A one two three four, John the Baptist knows the score

God gave us life (x4)

So that we could all play with our mates in the street
With the ball that we bought from the shop just last week

God gave us life (x4)

So that we could take sweets off strange men in big cars
And get driven to the woods to stroke non-existent puppies

And he also gave us Una Stubbs
And he also gave us Little & Large
And he also gave us Keith Harris
And he also gave us Wendy Craig
And he also gave us Thora Hird
And he also gave us Matthew Kelly
And he also gave us Eartha Kitt
And he also gave us Lionel Blair

God gave us life (x4)

God gave us life – hallelujah (x4)

God gave us life – Pontius Pilate

God gave us life – Bobby Charlton

God gave us life – Gordon Jackson

God gave us life – have a banana

God gave us life

Re: Carrying on the religous/faith/thingie debate....
nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 4:22 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

was watching a repeat (rerun for our yankie friends) of Scrubs the other night and listening to Half Man Half Biscuit's God Gave Us Life this morning got me thinking...

They're are people who believe that everything in this world happens for a reason, some people say it's God's will, others say it's Karma, others Fate, others just believe it's the natural balance of the universe sorting itself out.

Wars, Famine, Disease, etc., etc. Or maybe people make their own "luck", like to lose a job/love/friend only to find better. Or is it just the human mind explaining the randomness of the world ??

I'm doing the asking so it's only fair I let you know mine first. I don't believe in any "higher power" making these things happen (or not happen for that matter) but I do sorta hope there is a balance.

Dubz

God Gave Us Life
God gave us life, Nigel
Sure did.

God gave us life (x4)

God gave us life (x4)

God gave us life (x4)

God gave us life

Good gave us life - have a banana!!!! I love it!!!

I really don't believe that there is a 'higher power' either.

I believe that certain things that happen in your life are pre - determined and there is nothing that you or anyone can do to change that. You create your own chances in life and if you do good things....good things will happen to you If you do bad things, then they will come back and bite you on the arse later in life.
That doesn't mean to say that if you are good that you won't suffer at some point in your life, but overall life will be happy......that's what I hope anyway!!!!

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:14 PM Quote
I'm not goin to use the word belief.

Every single choice that we make is born purely of our own conscience, with the obvious psychological interferences.
Every single act can be put down to random chance - the 'luck' of the draw.
We have no particular 'purpose' here other than what WE want our purpose to be - nothing is predetermined (unless perhaps the tachyon particle theory is true). If this was true life would be so pointless.
The universe is such a beautiful and magnificent place, do we really need to beleive a magic man did everything when its staring us in the face that he didn't, do we have to beleive that at least in part we have no control over our destiny, when the choices we make are casting their own special mini-buterfly effect every moment that we exist.
Time and life is too precious and too short to get caught up in the hysteria of the paranormal world, when if these hippys and gypsies and tarot readers would just pull out a flipping encyclopedia, invest in a real university course, take up a hobby, and appreciate the introcate delicate balances involved from every colony of bees, to eevery carbon structure in a crystal, to every double helix filled with the information to build our bodies from scratch (DNA) to just the mere thought that our solar system is a pretty crappy bog standard one with not much interesting near it, but to know there are over 200 billion other solar systems in our galaxy alone, and hundreds of billions of galaxies in the observable universe, and who knows what when you think about dark matter!!

EDIT: I should point out that my views on the bible are that it is nonsense, falsely created at more or less every moment - so if a god is honestly tied to that bible, he is an utter monster. But I'm open to the idea that there is SOME creator - I don't dispute its remote possibility. I also have no real opinion on ghosts or spirits, other than 'most haunted' is proven to be the most ridiculous set of experiments I have ever encountered - why does it always have to be night time with the lights off?!? Can't ghosts bare to enter a room during the day, or be in one artificially lit?!

I'll end with a question. Is it REALLY that terrible, to think that instead of all the above, when we die, our conscience dies with us, and as per the third law of thermodynamics, teh energy in our physical body is disintegrated and then integrated with the world around us. Fertilising the trees and flowers, feeding the insects and nourishing the soil, and when the sun expands into its red giant phase and the earth is partially absorbed into its furnace, that energy is transferred through the atmosphere to our star. When the sun dies completely and dies away to a hite then a brown dwarf, releasing its surface material, that that same energy will then go on billions of years into the future to help create a brand new solar system, and life will start again until the theoretical 'big crunch', where the universe is said to reset, and then 'bang' once more, and who knows your energy may still exxist and go on to create an alien lifeform

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:36 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:

I'll end with a question. Is it REALLY that terrible, to think that instead of all the above, when we die, our conscience dies with us, and as per the third law of thermodynamics, teh energy in our physical body is disintegrated and then integrated with the world around us. Fertilising the trees and flowers, feeding the insects and nourishing the soil, and when the sun expands into its red giant phase and the earth is partially absorbed into its furnace, that energy is transferred through the atmosphere to our star. When the sun dies completely and dies away to a hite then a brown dwarf, releasing its surface material, that that same energy will then go on billions of years into the future to help create a brand new solar system, and life will start again until the theoretical 'big crunch', where the universe is said to reset, and then 'bang' once more, and who knows your energy may still exxist and go on to create an alien lifeform

Or we could just snuff it and that's that.

Dubz

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:56 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

thats exactly what i just said. I maybe should hve mentioned that by energy i don't mean creepy mystical energy, i mean potential and chemical energy - ie REAL energy in the scientific sense

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 11:01 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

thats exactly what i just said. I maybe should hve mentioned that by energy i don't mean creepy mystical energy, i mean potential and chemical energy - ie REAL energy in the scientific sense

Aha, so you're working under the rule of physics that states...

Energy cannot be created or destroyed merely converted from one form to another ??

*edit* I'm probably paraphrasing that as I don't actually know the exact definition of that rule. but you get what I mean

On another note... Just because something cannot be proved scientifically doesn't mean it should be discounted as it has never been dis-proven either, possibly??

btw I do agree with most of what you say, I'm just playing "devil's advocate"

Dubz

kiwi
kiwi Posted Sat 11 Oct, 2008 11:26 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

God Gave Us Life
God gave us life, Nigel
Sure did.

God gave us life (x4)

God gave us life (x4)

God gave us life (x4)

God gave us life

As a Catholic I'm supposed to say I do... but at the same time I'm aware that a lot of what I'm told to believe is a crock, especially when studying Archaeology and human evolution (strictly in a belief sense, and for the record I believe in evolution haha). I think belief systems developed originally from people's reaction to a precarious existence where to put your trust in something other than yourself made the world make a bit more sense, that and encephalisation helping with the auld cognitive thinking etc.
I agree there's a balance, god, if you believe in him, doesn't drive a parked car. People also can't use God (or whoever) as an excuse for past wrongs, as if humans had no say in, say, the Holocaust.
If I'm honest I don't really have one view on anything to do with beliefs, because if you do than your mind is essentially closed, which is just as bad as being freaky bible-basher-like.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 12:12 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
DavesUrMan wrote:
[quote="Scottish Dubliner"]

Dubz

Aha, so you're working under the rule of physics that states...

Energy cannot be created or destroyed merely converted from one form to another ??

*edit* I'm probably paraphrasing that as I don't actually know the exact definition of that rule. but you get what I mean

On another note... Just because something cannot be proved scientifically doesn't mean it should be discounted as it has never been dis-proven either, possibly??

btw I do agree with most of what you say, I'm just playing "devil's advocate"

Dubz

Yep thats the law - well basically ;)
And yep again youre absolutely right about science not being correct just beause something has not been proven or disproven etc. Then it falls into the realms of scientific mathematics - statistics basically.

People say a lot, that just because god cannot be proven or disproven, his chance of existence is 50% (pascal's wager) which is moronic. We used to think we were alone in the universe because there was no evidence or investigation to show otherwise. The chance of ETs increased a tiny tiny bit when we discovered there were more planets in the solar system. Then we discovered that stars arent little lights in the night sky, but solar systems of their own lightyears away. And some were in fact entire galaxies of stars. This increased the chance of ETs a tiny bit more. About 20 years ago we discovered the first extra-solar planets, which increased the chance again. Just one planet. Now we have discovered over 100 extra-solar planets, and some of them are in the same zone in proportion to the sun as our earth is. So the chances shot up again. (NB Please don't think I'm referring to the Drake Equation - that is a very poor calculation of the liklihood, but it suits its own purpose I suppose - getting the messages across (poorly))

Whats happening with God is a bunch of nut-cases who couldn't handle not having full power over everone and feared death so much made him up. Then theres the chance that god really did 'speak' to them etc. Since then the disproving of the retarded genesis which states that the earth is the centre of the universe and the sun and moon and stars are all dots in the blue sky at night time and the sun was somehow created after the plants etc etc in seven days, all this nonsesne and the proof of both micro and macro evolution decreases the chance of god's existence further. I could go on but I know I do that a lot and I know for the most part I don't interest anyone - I'm just passionate damnit!

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 7:47 PM