Travis

Re: The
Moray
Moray Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 9:03 AM Quote
I'm going to wander off on a tangent here and throw something else into the discussion - which do you think is more important to the new album or mroe exciting; the shift in musical direction or the addition of a narrative / storyline to tie the album together? Or both?

Moray
Moray Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 9:07 AM Quote
Second question - is there a little bit of Romeo & Juliet to the J. Smith story??

Kimmy256
Kimmy256 Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 9:32 AM Quote
I think it's
Chinese blues
something anything. I think this is the real track listing
J.smith
long way down
get up
Friends
quite free
song to self
last words
broken mirror
BYWY

Kimmy256
Kimmy256 Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 9:37 AM Quote
Moray wrote:
Second question - is there a little bit of Romeo & Juliet to the J. Smith story??

yes, song to self is sung by a girl! That's why BYWY is sung by J. She killed her self which leads to last words.hopefluuy this is right :D

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 10:29 AM Quote
Moray wrote:
I'm going to wander off on a tangent here and throw something else into the discussion - which do you think is more important to the new album or mroe exciting; the shift in musical direction or the addition of a narrative / storyline to tie the album together? Or both?

I would have said the musical direction, and actually i probably still would, BUT i find myself listening to it differently than i did a few days ago. I'm listening to the lyrics more now. I'm liking this. It's good. :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 10:38 AM Quote
Kimmy: I think it's J that dies right? I thought that had been said. I think it's J Smith himself that dies. In J Smith.

Chinese Blues (it's all a kind of confusion. Not knowing, not understanding, being out of control etc)
Song To Self (Lonely)
Quite Free (Wanting to be free? Wanting to take charge, be in control of his destiny etc)
J Smith (he dies)
Last Words (I think it's the suicide note)
Get Up (J is back on earth and he's "gotta get up" etc but at first he doesn't want to)
Before You Were Young

Where the others fit, and of course all that above is probably totally off anyway, i have no idea! :) Hehe.

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 12:41 PM Quote
BYWY: is J referring to a kid he had w/ the girl, and he is referring to how good their relationship was BEFORE the baby was born? but he will still try to be the best father he can even though he feels he is a pretty inadequate human being...?

QUESTION for FRAN: is there really a specific story line, or is this just a social/psychological experiment to see how ur fans think/or for ur personal entertainment? ;)

<3 B

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 1:11 PM Quote
this is going to turn into the Friends thread.
Everyone with their own interpretation.
With Fran comments along the way

lestafox
lestafox Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 1:40 PM Quote

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 1:57 PM Quote
I think Fran should write it is a book. Get it on Richard and Judy's book club! ;) Hehe.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 2:49 PM Quote
Would it be fair to say that Chinese Blues is a song about paranoia?

I like the idea that Song To Self is written from the girl's perspective by the way.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 3:39 PM Quote
Yes Luke. I think that's correct. Chinese Blues I mean. Not so sure about Song To Self but I still think it's J singing it. :)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 4:00 PM Quote
Fran wrote:
What if it actually means what it says. Like before you were born...

O.o Oh man! LOL! Fran...I'm really lost now. This is fun though. :)

Ok, I'm listening to "BYWY" right now. (God, this song gives me chills).

Well, if it means in the days before J. was born...then maybe it's written from the point of view of his mother? J. is dead and his mom is singing about her life before J. was born and how everything was better back then. The lyrics say "we take our cradles to the grave"...so, she saw him in the cradle as a baby and now she sees him in his grave as a grown man. And the last line is "what happened?" ...she's sad because she had to bury her son and that's not supposed to happen.

I dunno...that's kinda out there, but what do y'all think? Fran? Am I on the right track now? lol.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 4:10 PM Quote
By the way, some of you are now thinking "Song To Self" is sung from the girl's point of view? I don't get that at all. To me, that song is sung by J. He's the one who dies...that song is like his suicide note. "I don't belong any longer" and "this feeling is strong and getting stronger"...so it's obvious to me it fits in somewhere just before "J. Smith"...the song where he ends it.

EDIT: Ben, you mentioned that "Last Words" is the suicide note. I haven't heard this song yet, so you could be right. Maybe "Song to Self" is J. feeling lonely and thinking about killing himself and then in "Last Words" he finally writes the suicide note...or as Luke said, makes that phone call to say goodbye.

So it could go:
Song To Self
Last Words
J. Smith

Somewhere in the middle...

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 4:20 PM Quote
Nikki, make this your next article.

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:59 AM