Travis

Re: The
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 3:57 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
paulo wrote:
Why does everyone think that J smith definitely commited suicide?

Read the lyrics!! It's all in there! Nearly every song I've heard has references to J. wanting to commit suicide.
"I don't belong any longer" -- from Song to Self
"He swears at the sun and he curses the moon for his shadow" -- from J. Smith. He doesn't want a shadow, meaning...he wants to die.
"The radio's in the bath" -- from J. Smith. He puts his radio in the bath and electrocutes himself.

During the Nurnberg concert when Fran introduced the song, he said that J Smith's death was accidental--he didn't mean to die. The radio falling in the bathtub was an accident apparently. We were all in the chat room thingy and I was so surprised because I thought he did himself in because of all those references you mentioned, Nikki.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 4:05 PM Quote
Oh yeah! In all the excitement I forgot about that. Maybe Fran said it by accident. ???

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 4:15 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Oh yeah! In all the excitement I forgot about that. Maybe Fran said it by accident. ???

How do you say something like that by accident?

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 4:20 PM Quote
An accident? What?? LoL! Geeez. Just when I thought we were getting somewhere. :P

Well, J. still could have wanted to kill himself, just wasn’t planning on doing it at that very moment. He stands on his window ledge at the beginning of “J. Smith” for example, but then decides not to jump. He goes to take a bath and the radio might have fallen in. He could have still wanted to kill himself, but at that moment it could have been an accident.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 4:44 PM Quote
By the way, this is my first time wading through this thread, and I have to say it is absolutely agonizing to read.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 4:45 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

How do you say something like that by accident?

In the same way you'd say anything by accident. Mind wonders (shit crowd, accident to come here), slip of the tongue, mistake made. Was just a suggestion.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 4:54 PM Quote
So if he doesn't kill himself, I've got no idea what any of it means. I'm sure Fran had said that he kills himself in J Smith. Must have been wrong.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 4:54 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
By the way, this is my first time wading through this thread, and I have to say it is absolutely agonizing to read.

LOL! Kayte, I've been changing my mind every time I post in this thread. I'm scared to go back and read it because I probably sound like a dope. Oh well, it's fun. :P

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 5:00 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
So if he doesn't kill himself, I've got no idea what any of it means. I'm sure Fran had said that he kills himself in J Smith. Must have been wrong.

Ben..this is what I wrote above...he could have still been thinking about it.

"Well, J. still could have wanted to kill himself, just wasn’t planning on doing it at that very moment. He stands on his window ledge at the beginning of “J. Smith” for example, but then decides not to jump. He goes to take a bath and the radio might have fallen in. He could have still wanted to kill himself, but at that moment it could have been an accident."

Meridith
Meridith Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 5:01 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
An accident? What?? LoL! Geeez. Just when I thought we were getting somewhere. :P

Well, J. still could have wanted to kill himself, just wasn’t planning on doing it at that very moment. He stands on his window ledge at the beginning of “J. Smith” for example, but then decides not to jump. He goes to take a bath and the radio might have fallen in. He could have still wanted to kill himself, but at that moment it could have been an accident.

I think that's possible. Maybe he has thoughts of suicide..but in the end doesn't really want to go through with it...but then fate steps in and takes him anyway???

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 5:04 PM Quote
You are probably right because everything fits to him killing himself. I think Fran might have to give us some clues... or we go with my tightrope walking elephant theory. ;)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 5:08 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
You are probably right because everything fits to him killing himself. I think Fran might have to give us some clues... or we go with my tightrope walking elephant theory. ;)

YES! Do you mean J. Smith the Mexican tightrope walking elephant who travels to England to be in the circus and falls off the tightrope to his death? I like your thinking, Ben.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 5:11 PM Quote
I can't believe I'm joining in on this.

Most everyone has had the, shall we say, "romantic?" idea of committing suicide, but very few people actually follow through with the idea. You may think you want to be dead, but you don't REALLY want to be dead.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 5:11 PM Quote
I think it was Scotland he goes to but yes, that's the one. :)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 5:11 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:
Nikki wrote:

I think that's possible. Maybe he has thoughts of suicide..but in the end doesn't really want to go through with it...but then fate steps in and takes him anyway???

Yeah! Exactly!

Oh, oh! In "Quite Free" the lyrics say "we will never be quite free to make our mind up, free to chose our own fate"...isn't that how it goes?? I can't quite make it out, but that could tie into this new theory. Hmmmm. Very interesting.

Pages Previous 1...9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:37 PM