jesusaremus Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 6:17 AM Quote
Kimmy256 wrote:
jesusaremus wrote:
Kimmy256 wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
Kimmy256 wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
J Smith is the one that dies.

Yes, would be great to actually read the story. :)

So how would he sing BYWY? I think the girl dies.

Because Fran has said many times, and he did in tonight's gig too... he dies during J Smith.

i thought he got sent back? argh still very confusing. i thought the girl committed suicide cause J. treated her like shit.

he suicide. and he's returned to earth. How?, we don't know, lot of theories, he could go back to his own body, but i really doubt it.
I don't think the girl suicided, she says it very clearly "but i'm glad i'm better now, but i'm sad you're not around" And J. in BYWY says "if you ever need me call, i will be there waiting when you fall you know i will" somehow, i think they can't contact, or contac very directly, J.'s not around anymore, and he feel sorry, that's why i think he's not on the same body as he used to, before the suicide.

yea, that makes sense. Now I'm thinking that the girl knew him before he dieds so the song J.Smith should be close to last. it's like he's watching from the spirit world.

yeap, i don't know, but, it could be from spiritual world, stay on the same body, or reencarnation, or i don't know haha, i'm going very far, but he's always a nameless character, and let's remember that in a latin part tehy say "i can't see your name anywhere"

Re: The
Kimmy256
Kimmy256 Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 6:52 AM Quote
Quite free sounds like This love from one of the b sides

Kimmy256
Kimmy256 Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 7:01 AM Quote
jesusaremus wrote:
Kimmy256 wrote:
jesusaremus wrote:
Kimmy256 wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
Kimmy256 wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Because Fran has said many times, and he did in tonight's gig too... he dies during J Smith.

i thought he got sent back? argh still very confusing. i thought the girl committed suicide cause J. treated her like shit.

he suicide. and he's returned to earth. How?, we don't know, lot of theories, he could go back to his own body, but i really doubt it.
I don't think the girl suicided, she says it very clearly "but i'm glad i'm better now, but i'm sad you're not around" And J. in BYWY says "if you ever need me call, i will be there waiting when you fall you know i will" somehow, i think they can't contact, or contac very directly, J.'s not around anymore, and he feel sorry, that's why i think he's not on the same body as he used to, before the suicide.

yea, that makes sense. Now I'm thinking that the girl knew him before he dieds so the song J.Smith should be close to last. it's like he's watching from the spirit world.

yeap, i don't know, but, it could be from spiritual world, stay on the same body, or reencarnation, or i don't know haha, i'm going very far, but he's always a nameless character, and let's remember that in a latin part tehy say "i can't see your name anywhere"

i think Fran ment his spirit got sent back to watch her?? idk. but in long way down he says he watched the people, and watched the seagulls swoop.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 7:09 AM Quote
I was jsut wondering....
is that girl named Sarah?
here's my points:

"He was the one made you fall
But he couldn’t help you at all
Not at all
So he packed up and jumped from the wall
Pushing his luck past the ghosts in the hall"

he leave her to mend the fence.
He jumped from the wall, pushing his luck...suicide?

So, now, quite Free:
"there's a girl, i see sometime, she has behinde a dirty mind"

"Where are you going tonight
Dressed like a ragdoll
With holes in your tights"

And i think after of that:
"but i'm glad i'm better now, but i'm sad you're not around"
and finally this song was released on "J. Smith EP"

that's my theory, could be wrong though.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 7:14 AM Quote
Kimmy256 wrote:
jesusaremus wrote:
Kimmy256 wrote:
jesusaremus wrote:
Kimmy256 wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
Kimmy256 wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

i think Fran ment his spirit got sent back to watch her?? idk. but in long way down he says he watched the people, and watched the seagulls swoop.

yes...maybe mmmm
"And it’s no funny when you’re stuck in the middle
I’m coming up for air
I could be anywhere "
so...somehow could this song would mean the return to earth?

Kimmy256
Kimmy256 Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 8:24 AM Quote
jesusaremus wrote:
I was jsut wondering....
is that girl named Sarah?
here's my points:

"He was the one made you fall
But he couldn’t help you at all
Not at all
So he packed up and jumped from the wall
Pushing his luck past the ghosts in the hall"

he leave her to mend the fence.
He jumped from the wall, pushing his luck...suicide?

So, now, quite Free:
"there's a girl, i see sometime, she has behinde a dirty mind"

"Where are you going tonight
Dressed like a ragdoll
With holes in your tights"

And i think after of that:
"but i'm glad i'm better now, but i'm sad you're not around"
and finally this song was released on "J. Smith EP"

that's my theory, could be wrong though.

Oh, yea her name could be Sarah. "Pushing his luck past the ghosts in the hall" the ghost could be J.smith

Kimmy256
Kimmy256 Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 8:31 AM Quote
jesusaremus wrote:
Kimmy256 wrote:
jesusaremus wrote:
Kimmy256 wrote:
jesusaremus wrote:
Kimmy256 wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
Kimmy256 wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

yes...maybe mmmm
"And it’s no funny when you’re stuck in the middle
I’m coming up for air
I could be anywhere "
so...somehow could this song would mean the return to earth?

i think wen he said "stuck in the middle" i think he meant like, he's a ghost or somthing.

elodie
elodie Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 9:09 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
elodie, I don't know if yours is the exact right order, but it looks pretty good to me. I think you're on the right track.

well I must admit that your Romeo and Juliet therory is pretty good! :-) If we link up 'Sarah' and BYWY, it makes some sense : 'Sarah' is the name of J. Smith's girlfriend and it tells her story after his death... she is totally lost and desesperate...

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 2:21 PM Quote
elodie wrote:
Nikki wrote:
elodie, I don't know if yours is the exact right order, but it looks pretty good to me. I think you're on the right track.

well I must admit that your Romeo and Juliet therory is pretty good! :-) If we link up 'Sarah' and BYWY, it makes some sense : 'Sarah' is the name of J. Smith's girlfriend and it tells her story after his death... she is totally lost and desesperate...

double post.

I don't know if I like my Romeo and Juliet idea for BYWY anymore, lol. Because it doesn't have anything to do with "before you were born"...who would J. be saying it to in that theory? No one. That's why I'm now thinking it's J. as a ghost singing to his child he had with the girl about the days before it was born and how things used to be better between him and the child's mother.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 2:28 PM Quote
I like the idea that Sarah is the girl in Ode to J. Smith too.

Kimmy and Jesusaremus, if you read a few pages back, a bunch of us have also said Long Way Down fits in after J. Smith because it's J.'s return to Earth/his hell (I think as a ghost).

Kimmy256
Kimmy256 Posted Sun 12 Oct, 2008 4:53 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:

Kimmy and Jesusaremus, if you read a few pages back, a bunch of us have also said Long Way Down fits in after J. Smith because it's J.'s return to Earth/his hell (I think as a ghost).

yup, as a ghost watching over Sarah.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 6:00 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:

oh yeap, sorry, i just read them very quickly and missed that parts XD, sorry, but you know, we all getting into that theory ;) that's good i think haha.

Well, today hearing J. Smith, people saying "too much experimental" but i find it, very amazing in all ways. Now i can imagine the story on that song.
People didn't like it the latin choir opera. But i think is more than esential. Not for make this experimetanl, but just to make this song stronger, musical, and lyrical.
So, when Fran started singing in Latin, i can see J. in heaven. The angelical voice XD, is telling him his labour has not come to an end, and ask him to step back. Then drums get very hard, and in this part i imagine J. falling from heaven to hell. Then the opera begins. The opera must to be epic, and hard, 'cause now J. is on hell.
So i don't find this song as just an experimental song, but a very based on story, Travis won't stop impressing me everytime. That's why they're the best!

martina
martina Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 1:26 PM Quote
Well I'm not sure I have a complete picture of J. Smith's story but here is a few things I noticed...

In "Sarah" the lyrics go:

You used to say you were lucky
Now your luck's runnin’ off down the stairs
To the arms of another

So J Smith (if he's her man) has cheated on her, in the Tam O' Shanter poem Tam was flirting with other women than his wife... Also, Sarah seems to be an alcoholic, and Tam drank a lot too... other lyrics say:

At the back of her mind
There’s a photograph
Of a child all alone in the dark
She can tell by the bell ringing back at her
She’s lost

Sarah has bad memories about her childhood... and this reminds me of the "what happened?" in Before You Were Young, maybe something bad brought J and Sarah apart?
Finally, at the end of Long Way Down, Fran says "I'm too young to die" and then when he sings "They're never taking me alive" the music slows down, sounds like J Smith has just realised something and he is making a decision = killing himself? But where is it they are not taking him alive? In Heaven/Hell?

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 3:33 PM Quote
When I listened to “Last Words” for the first time over the weekend something in the lyrics has been contradicting what we’ve been saying about it’s placement in the story line and it’s really confusing me.

If the girl (Sarah…or whoever she is) discovers J.’s last words before his death in a message on her phone, why does the lyric say “finding out in the nick of time”? What does she find out? Does she get the message before he kills himself? Or am I looking to deep into it? lol.

I've finally heard all the song now, but I'm still trying to work out my final order...

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 13 Oct, 2008 3:44 PM Quote
I have a nice collection of Travis interviews on my computer and I was listening to one last night and Fran said that often fans read too much into lyrics. They're often a lot more straight forward. For example, he wrote Why Does It Always Rain On Me because he was on holiday in his hotel room and it was raining outside. :)

Pages Previous 1...8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:27 PM