Travis

Fran won't be happy....
Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 12:26 PM Quote

....With this bit of the review from the Guardian...

'The album's most experimental track, J Smith, straps on a dramatic choir. Less convincing are Friends' Gimme Shelter guitar steals and Long Way Down, which owes much to Oasis's The Importance of Being Idle'

Didn't someone else on here make the Long Way Down comparison?

Re: Fran won't be happy....
Ursina
Ursina Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 12:39 PM Quote
what a lot of b******s ! I hate when comparisons are made.

Travis song are strong enough to stand on their own !

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 1:00 PM Quote
Sometimes I think these reporters get some of their info from this site.

martina
martina Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 1:36 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:

I agree with you! Critics almost always say stuff is good because it's better than other bands, or that it's bad because others bands are better :p that's so stupid

Bellringer
Bellringer Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 1:45 PM Quote
Lol @ Long Way Down/The Importance Of Being Idle comparisons. It's nothin' like it.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 2:09 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:

It's inevitable that comparisons are made. People need to pigeon hole musical sounds. Not saying it's right, it's just the way of the world. I wouldn't set any great store by it. I know Fran has already spoken out against this particular analogy, but comparisons per se are commonplace.

nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 2:12 PM Quote
I think most people posses brains enough to form their own opinions on music. I, personally, never take much notice of critics. Think they are a complete load of ar*es who enjoy knocking people down!

Atlantis
Atlantis Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 2:14 PM Quote
I just think the media are a load of s**t in general.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 2:18 PM Quote
nickynooboo wrote:
I think most people posses brains enough to form their own opinions on music. I, personally, never take much notice of critics. Think they are a complete load of ar*es who enjoy knocking people down!

The opposite is also true. They tend to put bands that are terrible on a pedestal.
My biggest shock was with an underground argentinian band called El Otro Yo. Everywhere there were such amazing critics about them that I thought they had to be mindblowing. When I heard a few songs I realized that they were probably one of the shittiest bands ever. I mean it. They're just very bad musicians who write terrible songs.

Light
Light Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 2:31 PM Quote
Quiet cannot get all the buzz and fuzz around the comparisons. Generally speaking, not particularly about the bands mentioned above, said it is inevitable actually means that music nowayads is just another great deal of bloody industry. Yeah, nothing new then. Funny thing, music however, it shall be about relaxation speaking for both as bands as fans and not about comparisons, copying or even competition whether one is better than another. That is just my humble opinion but particularly about the thread I am noone to judge because I simply do not know the stuff that much.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 2:31 PM Quote
Already been mentioned.

I hope people start to realise that Travis DO get good reviews though. Unless you only count 'best album ever' as a good review.

nickynooboo
nickynooboo Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 3:30 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
nickynooboo wrote:

The opposite is also true. They tend to put bands that are terrible on a pedestal.
My biggest shock was with an underground argentinian band called El Otro Yo. Everywhere there were such amazing critics about them that I thought they had to be mindblowing. When I heard a few songs I realized that they were probably one of the shittiest bands ever. I mean it. They're just very bad musicians who write terrible songs.

Yeah, you are very right.....they like to build people up.... but then they enjoy knocking these people down too when the time is right.

accousticbug
accousticbug Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 6:44 PM Quote
really cant say long way down reminds me of oasis in the slightest..

if anything i think the verses on chinese blues are a bit oasis-esque.

cheekyminx
cheekyminx Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 6:45 PM Quote
I'm not sure anyone should ever compare Travis to Oasis, I'm a fan of both, but they do have a different sound. Unlike Oasis, Travis have kept on progressing their music throughout their time, whereas Oasis can't help but go back to the same old thing. I like Oasis because of the nostalgic value, but I love Travis because they never fail to suprise me with each album. Travis, you're bigger and better all in your own way. If I went off reviews and charts I wouldn't have my individual taste in music.. and to be honest I'd probably never end up listening to decent music!

MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 6:49 PM Quote
accousticbug wrote:
really cant say long way down reminds me of oasis in the slightest..

if anything i think the verses on chinese blues are a bit oasis-esque.

???? enlighten me.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:47 AM