Travis

Faith in Religeon, or delusion? or are they the same...
DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 10:27 AM Quote
Here's how the dictionary would define faith:

1. confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.

2. belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.

Here's how the dictionary would define delusion:

3. a false belief or opinion: delusions of grandeur.

4. Psychiatry. a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact: a paranoid delusion.

Now look at number 2, and compare to number 4. Need I say more?

Re: Faith in Religeon, or delusion? or are they the same...
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 10:34 AM Quote

But there is a difference between Faith and Religious Faith...

You can have faith in a person without attaching any religion to it.

You are comparing two different things in your post, you need to find the dictionary definition of religious faith for it to be acurate.

btw I do agree with what you are trying to say though and I do belive that Religion is Deluding oneselfbut as I have said before as long as that delusion does not afect anyone else then work away sham.

Dubz

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 1:02 PM Quote
Its actually one in the same
thats why its surprising

there are different parts to the definition in the dictionary - i just left the other two out because they just said something like "faith in religeous doctrines"

I see what you're saying, but what I've said is still valid - it defines what faith is, since most religeous people can't define it themselves - ask one, and they say something like "I have faith because I believe, and I believe because I have faith..."

Faith is what the dictionary defines it, and interestingly, they are the top two ACTUAL meanings of the word

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 10:56 PM Quote
Delusion is when you hope for something that is definitely not true, faith is when you hope for something that may or may not be true. I'm not sure where religion popped up from. :S

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 12:26 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Delusion is when you hope for something that is definitely not true, faith is when you hope for something that may or may not be true. I'm not sure where religion popped up from. :S

From who's perspective? To the majority of the world the bible and all it contains is falsified nonsense based on a thin string of general possibilities. From my point of view its deffinately not true, so they would be classed as delusional. Faith is the belief in something that there is a hope for it to be proven - as it says "he had faith that his hypothesis would be proven".
Religeon enters it because the most popular response to why someone believes in God (statistically) is "because I have FAITH"

For example, from a Jew's point of view, Hinduism is incorrect, and the belief in all these 'heathen' gods, is delusional because as far as they're concerned, its not true.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 9:23 PM