Travis

Re: Michael Phelps
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 13 Aug, 2008 4:14 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

23 year olds in general tend to come off sounding arrogant whether they want to or not .

Yeah, I agree Pops. Young Whippersnappers, in my day we'd just have birched the little bounders

Dubz

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 13 Aug, 2008 4:19 PM Quote
Heeeeeeeeeeeeey! :( I'm 23.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Wed 13 Aug, 2008 4:34 PM Quote
As i said before, if he is arrogant then so what. Screw being humble. If you are good at something shout about it.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 13 Aug, 2008 4:34 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Heeeeeeeeeeeeey! :( I'm 23.

me too!
hahaha. oh well.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 13 Aug, 2008 4:46 PM Quote
also (and i mean this as no disrespect to the many swimmers on this board, bc to make it to that level in anything is crazy ridiclous and takes a life time of commitment) but OF COURSE a swimmer is going to have the most medals and therefore be considered the greatest olympian, they are in like 10 events (okay, 8 for Phelps)!! A highjumper is in...1, a soccer player is in...1. So, it's kinda hard to compare based soley on medals. Any sport in which a person can compete in multiple events has more opportunities to win and doesnt automatically make them the best olympian ever.
To put it in hockey terms (my favourite kind), Wayne Gretzky is the greatest hockey to ever play, and he has 4 Stanley Cups. There are people with 8 Stanley Cups, doesnt mean they are better than Gretz.
I had some whole attempt at trying to explain why the rest of the world has trouble embrassing the accomplishments of American atheletes, but decided to erase it bc i didnt explain myself very well, and thought i might unintentionally insult people.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Wed 13 Aug, 2008 4:55 PM Quote
I can kind of see where you're coming from, but the thing is, he is highly skilled at each of the swimming strokes. Not all free-style swimmers are good at breast stroke or butterfly...
Yes, there are a lot more opportunities for him to medal, but it's rare that he could be so good at all (or most) of those swimming events.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 13 Aug, 2008 5:02 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
I can kind of see where you're coming from, but the thing is, he is highly skilled at each of the swimming strokes. Not all free-style swimmers are good at breast stroke or butterfly...
Yes, there are a lot more opportunities for him to medal, but it's rare that he could be so good at all (or most) of those swimming events.

im not denying that he is talented. What i am saying is that the number of medals doesnt automatically make him the best olympian ever. I dont think there is an accurate way of judging that.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 13 Aug, 2008 5:06 PM Quote
Oh, Lord, it's hard to be humble
When you're perfect in every way.
I can't wait to look in the mirror
'Cause I get better looking each day.
To know me is to love me,
I must be a hell of a man.
Oh, Lord, it's hard to be humble
But I'm doing the best that I can.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 13 Aug, 2008 5:11 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
SamuraiSandy wrote:

im not denying that he is talented. What i am saying is that the number of medals doesnt automatically make him the best olympian ever. I dont think there is an accurate way of judging that.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, Kristy...and the hockey analogy really makes sense. Maybe it's better to say he's ONE OF the top Olympians of all time, because like Sandy said, it's rare that a swimmer can be so highly skilled at each of the different strokes. You're right, though, it's impossible to judge athletes in different sports against each other.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 13 Aug, 2008 5:16 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
minnmess wrote:
SamuraiSandy wrote:

Yeah, I get what you're saying, Kristy...and the hockey analogy really makes sense. Maybe it's better to say he's ONE OF the top Olympians of all time, because like Sandy said, it's rare that a swimmer can be so highly skilled at each of the different strokes. You're right, though, it's impossible to judge athletes in different sports against each other.

I will agree to the term "ONE OF" lol. Please tell every media agency that! You have the connections.
That doesnt mean that i like him though! (im pretty sure atleast once a day on here i inadvertantly quote or almost quote Cool Runnings).

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Wed 13 Aug, 2008 5:25 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
minnmess wrote:
SamuraiSandy wrote:

Yep! I agree!!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 13 Aug, 2008 5:29 PM Quote
Just to further debate, how would you respond to someone calling him the best swimmer of all time? (since it's not really fair to compare athletes in different sports)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 13 Aug, 2008 5:44 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Just to further debate, how would you respond to someone calling him the best swimmer of all time? (since it's not really fair to compare athletes in different sports)

I personally dont think i have enough swimming knowledge to know. I havent been around for that many Olympics, lol.
But to FURTHER add to the debate, I think if you were going to make that claim, it would have to be the best MALE swimmer of all time (now im just being an ass).

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 13 Aug, 2008 6:18 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

a friend of mine who was competting at college level swimming , UC BERKELEY ,until he quit responded to that question as " Phelps is the maZn ".

He quit swimming and became the artist Frank Zio

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 13 Aug, 2008 6:18 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

I personally dont think i have enough swimming knowledge to know. I havent been around for that many Olympics, lol.
But to FURTHER add to the debate, I think if you were going to make that claim, it would have to be the best MALE swimmer of all time (now im just being an ass).

LOL!

Pages Previous 1...4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:32 PM