monkey
monkey Posted Sat 25 Jun, 2011 4:05 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
monkey wrote:
sorry. what was meant for my pal on fb was posted on here and vise versa

Yes but did ye get yer Nat King ??

Get fuckin' in there bro''

Dubz

the post on Thu was apparently not very nice so i'm just going to leave it at that

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 25 Jun, 2011 4:48 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
minnmess wrote:
I keep thinking about going back to school for an actual skill . Something like visual merchandising. But I dont know that I want to delay life by 2 year for something that I don't know that I'd even be good at.

Going back to education (even for something trivial or non job related) still looks good on a CV (resume), it shows that you have ambition, you set yourself goals and you can accomplish them. Most jobs these days are looking for a 3rd level education (degree), even if it's not relative to the actual position offered.

Dubz

but TWO years. full time. I'd only be able to work part time. This feels like WAY delaying life. The programme has a waitlist for Sept, so I guess it isn't even an option right now. Although I could take some alternative colour theory or design classes at night in the meantime to see if it is something I would even like and be good at.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 25 Jun, 2011 5:28 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

but TWO years. full time. I'd only be able to work part time. This feels like WAY delaying life. The programme has a waitlist for Sept, so I guess it isn't even an option right now. Although I could take some alternative colour theory or design classes at night in the meantime to see if it is something I would even like and be good at.

Taking the classes seems like a good way to explore it a little bit before you make a bigger commitment. Two years is a chunk of time. But you could get a job now just to get a job and in two years realize you are miserable and have to do something different and be kicking yourself that you didn't go back to school or whatever.

Note: I am not trivializing the need of being employed and totally get that especially these days you just have to take what you can get.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sat 25 Jun, 2011 5:37 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
minnmess wrote:
I keep thinking about going back to school for an actual skill . Something like visual merchandising. But I dont know that I want to delay life by 2 year for something that I don't know that I'd even be good at.

Going back to education (even for something trivial or non job related) still looks good on a CV (resume), it shows that you have ambition, you set yourself goals and you can accomplish them. Most jobs these days are looking for a 3rd level education (degree), even if it's not relative to the actual position offered.

Dubz

It depends I guess... Well full time for another 2 years might be delaying the 'real life' part but dude, the real life sucks! So it might be good actually ;) But I guess the question is, will you really be interested in the studies and will it really significantly improve your CV in the long term? Oh, and will you be able to get a part time job? Cause if we learnt anything this year kids, is that it might be bloody difficult.

I was actually thinking a lot about going back to school last month. Another master's or even a PhD in genocide studies which would be a way of surviving the terrible economy and getting another qualification at the same time. And I'm really interested in the subject. But I would need a scholarship for that and I am nowhere near good enough...so...not happening.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 25 Jun, 2011 6:07 PM Quote
I guess I was going to be in London for 2 years anyways, so "real" life wasnt going to begin for a while. It seems like a huge chunk of time now, but I guess the whole rest of my working life is a much bigger chunk of time.
I am WELL past admission deadlines, but there is a waiting list so maybe I will apply (unless I find out it is uber expensive just to apply) and see what happens.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 26 Jun, 2011 3:18 PM Quote
Up Mayo, get stuck into the Tribesmen.

C'mon the Dubs later, send the Lillywhites back home.

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Sun 26 Jun, 2011 5:19 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
I guess I was going to be in London for 2 years anyways, so "real" life wasnt going to begin for a while. It seems like a huge chunk of time now, but I guess the whole rest of my working life is a much bigger chunk of time.
I am WELL past admission deadlines, but there is a waiting list so maybe I will apply (unless I find out it is uber expensive just to apply) and see what happens.

A fellow graphic designer, 40+ with a husband and kids, decided after xx years in the job to retrain in industrial design (is that the correct word ?) at the UNI, 4 + years, including a year in Milan. Haven't heard of her since she left for Milan, bur my guess is she's working hard on her new career. I envy her.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Sun 26 Jun, 2011 6:10 PM Quote
A friend of mine studied for 3 years, then worked for a couple of years, then decided she wasn't happy, took a year off and went abroad to work as an au pair (12 months) and as a farm hand (2 months). Then she came back, worked for another year, but still wasn't happy. So she quit her job for good and went back to school to become a kindergarden teacher. I think she's really happy with her decision. She's 30, btw. And I totally admire her for her courage.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 26 Jun, 2011 6:23 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

You and Picky could just come live in my guest room.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 26 Jun, 2011 11:49 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
minnmess wrote:

I have a place to live. That was the problem in London! (not that I want to be here much longer but there is no longer the fear of being homeless)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 27 Jun, 2011 3:08 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
weirdmom wrote:
minnmess wrote:

I was just offering you a free room in a double foreign land. (USA + Texas)

I have a place to live. That was the problem in London! (not that I want to be here much longer but there is no longer the fear of being homeless)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 27 Jun, 2011 3:35 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
minnmess wrote:
weirdmom wrote:
minnmess wrote:

I was just offering you a free room in a double foreign land. (USA + Texas)

I'm not sure that I could ever live in a place with mums.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 27 Jun, 2011 6:25 AM Quote
Rough as a badger's arse.

Don't think I'll be going to work today. For the second Monday in a row, kinda hard to motivate oneself when one doesn't get paid.

Dubz

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Mon 27 Jun, 2011 12:10 PM Quote
I was called not to come in today. Thanks Baby Jesus, it's beyond hot and there's no AC in the office.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 27 Jun, 2011 1:42 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Rough as a badger's arse.

Don't think I'll be going to work today. For the second Monday in a row, kinda hard to motivate oneself when one doesn't get paid.

Dubz

How do you get away with not going in? You just started.

Pages Previous 1...120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 129 130 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:20 AM