Travis

Independiente/general question
Sunny
Sunny Posted Fri 08 Jun, 2007 7:35 PM Quote
Is it normal for a record label to create a separate company for a band (linked with the label’s name) i.e. Independiente Music Ventures - Travis Limited. (which does exist btw) ?

I guess it would be simpler for royalties etc, but are there any other reasons?

Re: Independiente/general question
MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sat 09 Jun, 2007 7:40 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
Is it normal for a record label to create a separate company for a band (linked with the label’s name) i.e. Independiente Music Ventures - Travis Limited. (which does exist btw) ?

I guess it would be simpler for royalties etc, but are there any other reasons?

How did you find out about this?

Andrew
Andrew Posted Sat 09 Jun, 2007 7:58 PM Quote
Could this be the investment thing where folk could put money into the making of the new album?

I seem to remember something along those lines right when the 5th album started getting talked about.

EDIT: Yeah I think this is the same thing
Some company's interim report

The important bit:
"The Company and Ingenious Music VCT 2 plc equally co-funded the venture with an
initial £2 million followed by a further £1 million investment, to be made in
the latter part of 2007. An additional £1million has also been made available as
a further marketing fund, should the parties see this as commercially beneficial
at a later stage. Ingenious have formed a joint venture company, Independiente
Music Ventures Travis Limited, to release the band's fifth album, which is due
for release in early 2007. Both UK and international distribution for the album
will be handled by SonyBMG."

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sun 10 Jun, 2007 9:32 AM Quote
Venuture Capital Trusts - An Investment Option for Investors, with tax advantages. Travis are a good Investment!!

Sara Anna
Sara Anna Posted Sun 10 Jun, 2007 10:20 AM Quote
Andrew wrote:
Could this be the investment thing where folk could put money into the making of the new album?

I seem to remember something along those lines right when the 5th album started getting talked about.

EDIT: Yeah I think this is the same thing
Some company's interim report

The important bit:
"The Company and Ingenious Music VCT 2 plc equally co-funded the venture with an
initial £2 million followed by a further £1 million investment, to be made in
the latter part of 2007. An additional £1million has also been made available as
a further marketing fund, should the parties see this as commercially beneficial
at a later stage. Ingenious have formed a joint venture company, Independiente
Music Ventures Travis Limited, to release the band's fifth album, which is due
for release in early 2007. Both UK and international distribution for the album
will be handled by SonyBMG."

Interesting read, that's alot of money invested though i've seen little publicity for all this investment, then again a million quid doesn't go far these days, not that I would ever have a million quid to spend. I hate it when they talk about the band as just a money making commodity and how much return on their investment the shareholders are going to get, it's the music that's important. Considering Fran normally gets on his soapbox about the industry being full of backstabbers though hes been very quiet on that front lately so maybe he's happy with the state of play but I wonder if Travis have ever considered setting up their own studio and label? They're already an established band, It's so much easier to publicise music with the help of the net and sites like Myspace these days, cut out the record company and have totally artistic control, every artists dream I bet, if it's possible to do, that is.
And before any one moans, i'm on the side of the band here and their artistic freedom, it's corporate greed and artistic control i'm against.

Sx

Sunny
Sunny Posted Sun 10 Jun, 2007 1:36 PM Quote
MusicGirl99 wrote:

How did you find out about this?

Here:
UK Data

Andrew - thanks for the info.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 12:12 PM