Travis

I feel old
Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 3:17 AM Quote
I have a 16-year-old intern helping me out twice a week at the newspaper. She's a lovely girl and way too mature for her age, which is good because she can handle a lot of work and I need a lot of help to meet my deadlines. Anyway! The more we talk, I'm realizing how old and un-kewl I am at only 23! Some things I learned from her that the kids are into these days and/or that made me feel old:

1. High school kids don't wear the traditional backpack anymore. Back in my day, (lol) we carried Jansports on our backs. Now, kids have chic oversized bags.
2. You can't just call your crush on the phone or meet them by your locker to ask them to the prom. You have to do something creative like they did on MTV's Laguna Beach where the guy sends you on a scavenger hunt or around town searching for clues that lead you to a big sign that says "PROM?" Yeah. They actually do this.
3. Don't start talking with a 16-year-old about bands like Live or The Beastie Boys because they won't know who you're talking about.

:(

Re: I feel old
minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 3:23 AM Quote
my friend's cousin was over a few weeks ago and had never heard of LL Cool J. It took me and my friend like 10 minutes to name an LL Cool J song, but I know who he is. Oh, and Coolio's Gangsta's Paradise, i highlight of our grade 6 life....she looked at us like we are on crack. I think she is 15.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 3:29 AM Quote
Maybe you were just never cool back in high school... ;p

Just kidding...

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 3:31 AM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Maybe you were just never cool back in high school... ;p

Just kidding...

:O Screw you!
LOL! (just kidding)

Kristy, I love Gangstas Paradise. :D

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 3:33 AM Quote
you feel old over that ?

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 3:36 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
you feel old over that ?

:P Well, not as old as you.

monkey
monkey Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 3:41 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I have a 16-year-old intern helping me out twice a week at the newspaper. She's a lovely girl and way too mature for her age, which is good because she can handle a lot of work and I need a lot of help to meet my deadlines. Anyway! The more we talk, I'm realizing how old and un-kewl I am at only 23! Some things I learned from her that the kids are into these days and/or that made me feel old:

1. High school kids don't wear the traditional backpack anymore. Back in my day, (lol) we carried Jansports on our backs. Now, kids have chic oversized bags.
2. You can't just call your crush on the phone or meet them by your locker to ask them to the prom. You have to do something creative like they did on MTV's Laguna Beach where the guy sends you on a scavenger hunt or around town searching for clues that lead you to a big sign that says "PROM?" Yeah. They actually do this.
3. Don't start talking with a 16-year-old about bands like Live or The Beastie Boys because they won't know who you're talking about.

:(

it's funny you should tell that story. last week at my work i was playing mega drive classics on my psp :) and i got speaking to one of the young labourers who's first games console was a ps1, and the first record he bought was an eminem one. he'd no idea what a c64 was!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 3:42 AM Quote
original Nintendo all the way!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 3:53 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:

we played with rocks back in the stone age

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 3:57 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:

Mario and Duck Hunt! Woot! :D

Hey Andrew!! Good to see ya round.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 4:09 AM Quote
The girl I tutor is 10 and she's in love with the Jonas Brothers. After she instructed me about them, I told her they were just a copy of Hanson, to which she replied "Hanson who??". Then I realized she wasn't even born when Mmmbop was played on the radio...

monkey
monkey Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 4:12 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
minnmess wrote:

Mario and Duck Hunt! Woot! :D

Hey Andrew!! Good to see ya round.

http://cupojoe.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/duckhunt1.jpg

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 4:13 AM Quote
yay! and the awesome noise the gun made when it hit the duck!
And original game boy was great too.

monkey
monkey Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 4:18 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:

And original game boy was great too.

agreed :), prob lost a good few months of my life on tetris

Meridith
Meridith Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 4:57 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:

We did this when I was in HS...and I'm lots older than you. :) It was always a challenge to come up with a really creative way to ask someone. I don't know of anyone who ever asked anyone straight out.

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:29 PM