Travis

FAO : Nikki - Thoughts on J.Smith
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 10 Aug, 2008 9:57 AM Quote
Hey Nikki,

You asked a while back, I've only just got around to listening to it and...

On first listen it's a sort of mash, trying to be too many things at once, Fran sounds sorta early Police, then it also sounds sorta like the Clash or Queens of the Stone Age? Roxy Music's Love is the Drug is also in there. And what's with the whole choir thing ?

I don't think the music style suits Fran's voice style on this track, however it may grow on me.

Dubz

for others
Disclaimer: This is only my view and opinion and is no way a reflection on any one else who has a different opinion or on the band, the board, the boardees or on any other personal level. However if you want to take it as a personal slight on your charachter you can fuck right off.

Re: FAO : Nikki - Thoughts on J.Smith
Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 10 Aug, 2008 3:41 PM Quote
I can see how the choir part could take some getting used to. It's very, very different. I liked it right away, but still feel it's one of those songs that will sound better and make more sense when you play the album as a whole. Maybe it will grow on you and you'll be converted back into a fan. :D

PS: Shouldn't this be in T-CHAT??? (kidding).

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Sun 10 Aug, 2008 4:27 PM Quote
Totally butting in here, and I haven't listened to it it a while, but I totally agree with Dubz:

Quote:
It was like, at least three different songs competing against each other.
<--this is what I thought upon first listen way back when.

I'll have to see if it grows on me. There were parts of it that I liked a lot. :)

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 10 Aug, 2008 5:10 PM Quote
Hope you don't mind me wandering into this thread, but I was wondering whether any of the Good Feeling fans would be reconverted by the new songs. I take it you haven't heard Something Anything, Dubz, that's just a straight rock song with no weird stuff.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Sun 10 Aug, 2008 5:16 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Hope you don't mind me wandering into this thread, but I was wondering whether any of the Good Feeling fans would be reconverted by the new songs. I take it you haven't heard Something Anything, Dubz, that's just a straight rock song with no weird stuff.

There are a few heading in that direction , which is good IMO .
I actually think releasing J.Smith, as the first single would have shook people up a bit.
I can just imagine most people listening to the radio, about to hear travis new single, would have got quite a shock when they heard it for the first time.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sun 10 Aug, 2008 6:26 PM Quote
I'm not that fussed on it either and I have tried listening to it on a good few occasions. Maybe it will grow on me. Hope the rest of the new album will be better!

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sun 10 Aug, 2008 9:16 PM Quote
We are all different haha , its my fav ahead of SA and STS.

Kristy
Kristy Posted Sun 10 Aug, 2008 9:22 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:

I must've been listening to something different :s

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 5:02 AM Quote
I agree. J. Smith is a weird mix, but I think it's my favourite song of the album so far, because it's so different from their past stuff.
I'm really enjoying rockier Travis.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 8:29 AM