Travis

The Official 'Interesting' Post
Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Wed 30 Jul, 2008 1:30 AM Quote
The Messageboard Scrapbook for Quite interesting Things

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/features/images/stephenfry_qi_gal.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, roll up for your dose of everything interesting. Yes, this thread bellows a resounding 'NO!' to boredom and blandness. Or at least, it can if we all put our noggins together and build up a collage of trivia, jokes, pictures and other relatively entertaining, highly browsable randomness.

Here's the crunch - if you're reading this now, you have to post. Go surf that thing called the web and find something interesting to say! Find a quirky link, a random fact, or a funny picture. Anything you want. Um, or should I clarify, anything the TWT would be happy with. :P

Random facts:

* The Black Death is estimated to have killed 30% to 60% of Europe's population. Ok, just stop and think about all the people you know, and then imagine if half of them were taken away from you. This was one evil plague.

* The real name for a ladybird/ladybug is a Coccinellidae. So if you're not sure what to call them, impress your friends with this delightful title! (Not to be attempted when drunk)

* Paraskavedekatriaphobia is fear of Friday 13th. Disappointingly however, 'Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia' - fear of long words - is only a fictional phobia.

* Pablo Picasso's full name is: Pablito Diego Jose Santiago Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno Crispin Crispiniano de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santisima Trinidad Ruiz Blasco y Picasso Lopez. The school register would've been interesting.

Oh, and this is a good site if you're a bit bored. Select exactly what type of music you want to listen to and away you go. http://www.musicovery.com/

Your turn. :p

Re: The Official 'Interesting' Post
Esteban
Esteban Posted Wed 30 Jul, 2008 2:11 AM Quote
The Greek national anthem has 158 verses.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 30 Jul, 2008 2:28 AM Quote
my flip flops are beat to fuck

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 30 Jul, 2008 2:47 AM Quote
I think this song and this song are very similar.

Also, when you are pregnant your cholesterol is higher- even if you're eating healthy. Since gall stones are sometimes caused by high cholesterol, it is not atypical for a woman to develop them during pregnancy.

Finally, haven't seen it (not even sure it's playing here yet) but saw the trailer for A Man Named Pearl and it looks interesting.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 30 Jul, 2008 4:31 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
I think this song and this song are very similar.

Yeah...I totally hear it. But I like the Spoon song better. ;)

Ok, here's something interesting (not sure if they're true though!)...LoL!

Ever wonder where the word "shit" or "f*ck" came from?

Certain types of manure used to be transported (as everything was back in the day) by ship. In dry form it weighs a lot less, but once water (at sea) hit it. It not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas.

As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen; methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern. BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was discovered what was happening.

After that, the bundles of manure where always stamped with the term "S.H.I.T" on them which meant to the sailors to "Ship High In Transit." In other words, high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In ancient England a person could not have sex unless you had consent of the King (unless you were in the Royal Family). When anyone wanted to have a baby, they got consent of the King, the King gave them a placard that they hung on their door while they were having sex. The placard had F.U.C.K. (Fornication Under Consent of the King) on it.

moo_the_evil_boffin
moo_the_evil_boffin Posted Wed 30 Jul, 2008 8:37 AM Quote
Vector Park Crazy games that take up far too much of my time

'The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat' (the book from which The Man Who gets its name) documents the case history of 24 of Oliver Sacks' patients with various interesting brain disorders. The Man Who himself had a case of 'Visual Agnosia'.

Top Gear's Stig:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/TopGearStig.jpg

Some Say...

...his earwax tastes like Turkish Delight, and that on really warm days, he sheds his skin like a snake.

...he has a digital face, and that his skin has the texture of dolphins.

...that wherever you are in the world if you tune your radio to 88.4 you can actually hear his thoughts.

...that he has no understanding of clouds.

...his voice can only be heard by cats, and that he has named every single blade of grass surrounding the Top Gear test track.

...he is wanted by the CIA, and that if he could be bothered, he could crack the Da Vinci code in 43 seconds.

Moo
XXX

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 30 Jul, 2008 8:47 AM Quote
"My Cat's breath smells of Cat Food"

http://l.yimg.com/img.tv.yahoo.com/tv/us/img/site/07/39/0000000739_20060919022344.jpg

physke
physke Posted Wed 30 Jul, 2008 9:33 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:

In ancient England a person could not have sex unless you had consent of the King (unless you were in the Royal Family). When anyone wanted to have a baby, they got consent of the King, the King gave them a placard that they hung on their door while they were having sex. The placard had F.U.C.K. (Fornication Under Consent of the King) on it.

Another legend(or true story) about Fuck: There was an Anglo Saxon document(belonging to AD 8th century) including land names -one of them is Fuccerham - thought it means home of fucker(s)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 30 Jul, 2008 9:56 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:

Ok, here's something interesting (not sure if they're true though!)...LoL!

Ever wonder where the word "shit" or "f*ck" came from?

Certain types of manure used to be transported (as everything was back in the day) by ship. In dry form it weighs a lot less, but once water (at sea) hit it. It not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas.

As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen; methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern. BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was discovered what was happening.

After that, the bundles of manure where always stamped with the term "S.H.I.T" on them which meant to the sailors to "Ship High In Transit." In other words, high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think they both may be urban myths, I'm guessing if you were only allowed to copulate by permission of the King the sign given to you by the Royal establishment would be in Olde English or Latin,

but it is a nice story

Dubz

moo_the_evil_boffin
moo_the_evil_boffin Posted Wed 30 Jul, 2008 10:10 AM Quote
How to entertain a dog

physke
physke Posted Wed 30 Jul, 2008 10:14 AM Quote
moo_the_evil_boffin wrote:

lol lucky dog! I should find one for my little Katia too:)

spid
spid Posted Wed 30 Jul, 2008 10:16 AM Quote
1. If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.
2. If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.
3. A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.
4. Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour.
5. A cockroach will live nine days without it's head, before it starves to death.
6. Mosquito repellents don't repel. They hide you. The spray blocks the mosquito's sensors so they don't know you're there.

I'll save the rest for the next time I read this thread!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 30 Jul, 2008 10:19 AM Quote

You can outrun a Bee but you cannot outrun a Wasp.

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 30 Jul, 2008 10:19 AM Quote
Damn Double post, need to think of another interesting fact....

If you were to count to a million at the rate of 1 number per second it would take you. 11 days 13 hours 46 minutes and 40 seconds.

Dubz

physke
physke Posted Wed 30 Jul, 2008 10:32 AM Quote
imagine the world is the size of an orange: then the ocean's depth will be equal to the thickness of the vapor on glass caused by your breath

Pages [1] 2 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:39 AM