Travis

Method of Release
Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 18 Jul, 2008 9:37 PM Quote
So, how do we think Ode To J. Smith is gonna be released? I seem to remember seeing the odd comment from Fran that makes me think its gonna be more than just a regular CD release.

Here's a few ideas:

1) Memory sticks/USB flash drives. I've heard that material is sometimes released on pen drives rather than CD's. In this day and age, where downloading is the popular way to buy music, it seems the most obvious way to sell mp3's physically.

2) Free Download, funded by advertisements. Could work. The album could be available to download here on the website for free, on the condition that the user would first have to view some ads.

3) 'Event' selling. The difference may no be so much to do with format, but the way its distributed. Perhaps they could be given out or sold at concerts, special HMV tours or something. Of course, this wouldn't really be enough on its own, but could work nicely as extra publicity.

You guys got any creative ideas? :P

Re: Method of Release
Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 18 Jul, 2008 9:44 PM Quote
Call me old fashioned, but I'd just like a CD with album artwork and lyrics. :) Seeing as how Travis went back to the basics for the recording process, it would seem kinda strange to go all high tech and not come out with an actual album people can hold in their hands. If they do both (digital and actual CD), that's fine...as long as I get my CD. :)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 18 Jul, 2008 9:50 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Call me old fashioned, but I'd just like a CD with album artwork and lyrics. :) Seeing as how Travis went back to the basics for the recording process, it would seem kinda strange to go all high tech and not come out with an actual album people can hold in their hands. If they do both (digital and actual CD), that's fine...as long as I get my CD. :)

Yeah I though it would be kinda out of place to do the high tech thing with Ode. But even so, I would quite like the usb stick thing if it was actually still packaged with artwork etc. Imagine opening something like a CD case, only instead of a CD its a usb stick instead.

Something that would be in keeping with the old way of recording would be releasing it on a record. Which I'm a bit worried about to be honest. :s

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 18 Jul, 2008 9:56 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
Nikki wrote:

Yeah I though it would be kinda out of place to do the high tech thing with Ode. But even so, I would quite like the usb stick thing if it was actually still packaged with artwork etc. Imagine opening something like a CD case, only instead of a CD its a usb stick instead.

Something that would be in keeping with the old way of recording would be releasing it on a record. Which I'm a bit worried about to be honest. :s

They could come out with it on a record for collectors and for those who still have record players, but it would be REALLY silly if that's the only way they came out with the album. I don't see that happening, lol. If they did both, it would be cool though.

I still like the CD/live DVD idea the most!! Although, if the album is out in September, they better start recording stuff now. :P
Maybe a DVD after the "Ode" tour is more realistic.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 18 Jul, 2008 10:09 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Nikki wrote:

They could come out with it on a record for collectors and for those who still have record players, but it would be REALLY silly if that's the only way they came out with the album. I don't see that happening, lol. If they did both, it would be cool though.

I still like the CD/live DVD idea the most!! Although, if the album is out in September, they better start recording stuff now. :P
Maybe a DVD after the "Ode" tour is more realistic.

Yeah, I think realistically, if they're not going to do anything fancy, they'd do all three - CD, download and record. But I just get the feeling they're going to do something a bit more innovative. I like innovation, especially when its a bit controversial too like the whole radiohead fiasco. :P

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 19 Jul, 2008 3:14 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:

I agree!!! :oP

I think the Live DVD should come out after the album is released and toured :oP.

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Sat 19 Jul, 2008 7:12 AM Quote
I'm old fashioned too, just like you, Nikki :oP.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

I think the Live DVD should come out after the album is released and toured :oP.

I totally agree! :o)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sat 19 Jul, 2008 11:10 AM Quote
Pfft...all you old fashioned people, with your old fashioned compact disks and old fashioned DVD's. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/4-Wink.gif Remember, their next DVD might be on a usb stick! lol

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 19 Jul, 2008 2:00 PM Quote
Pfft...all you old fashioned people, with your old fashioned compact disks and old fashioned DVD's. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/4-Wink.gif Remember, their next DVD might be on a usb stick! lol

On a USB stick? Can't you only watch that on your computer?

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Sat 19 Jul, 2008 2:27 PM Quote
I hope it's just a normal cd! i don't understand other stuff, and i can't download! Honestly, i'm so bad on the computer, it took me three goes to figure out how to register here properly! :O

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 19 Jul, 2008 2:41 PM Quote
I'm pretty good on the computer, I'm just really behind with the whole downloading of MP3s, iTunes, iPod world! I still listen to CDs in my car. I know...how old school of me, lol.

It's not that I'm being selfish saying that I want Travis to come out with the new album in CD form because I'm not up on all the digital stuff, it's because I'm really afraid that coming out with an actual physical album is going to become a dying art and it makes me really sad to think that one day people won't be able to look at a band's cool cover art and pictures and read the lyrics in their CD booklet. It's all a part of making an album. The music is obviously the most important part, but that stuff adds to the feel of the album and I think it's important.

irenesfor
irenesfor Posted Sat 19 Jul, 2008 3:04 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I'm pretty good on the computer, I'm just really behind with the whole downloading of MP3s, iTunes, iPod world! I still listen to CDs in my car. I know...how old school of me, lol.

It's not that I'm being selfish saying that I want Travis to come out with the new album in CD form because I'm not up on all the digital stuff, it's because I'm really afraid that coming out with an actual physical album is going to become a dying art and it makes me really sad to think that one day people won't be able to look at a band's cool cover art and pictures and read the lyrics in their CD booklet. It's all a part of making an album. The music is obviously the most important part, but that stuff adds to the feel of the album and I think it's important.

I´m agree with you, Nikki.

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Sat 19 Jul, 2008 3:15 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:

I agree. I'm old fashioned too.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sat 19 Jul, 2008 4:42 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:

Yeah I do agree with what your saying. I like something to hold in my hands. Its the packaging and artwork that I like, but I'm not as bothered about the CD itself since I usually listen to music on my macbook/ipod. I don't mind if CD's get replaced with something else, so long as the art, lyrics etc stays. But I do get that plenty of people still only use CD's, and of course I still do sometimes too. I suppose I want CD's to stay for the most part, but I would quite like Travis to break the mould for a one off at least. Make things interesting.

And yeah you'd only be able to watch a concert on usb stick on your computer. :s Hmmm, I guess that's a weakness. Are they starting to invent video players with usb ports and hard-drives yet? That would be cool. Then you could install all your movies and stuff onto the hard-drive and not need to fuss with getting disks out etc. :)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 19 Jul, 2008 6:59 PM Quote
In Argentina bands are still releasing CDs. I don't think we got an album in a pen drive from any band. Of course there are mp3 players and digital downloads, but no usb stick.
So it'd be weird to have one haha.

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:45 AM